Came across some unusual ASE's

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Came across some unusual ASE's

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue May 28, 2024 9:08 am

Not sure where or when I got these. But they are ASE's in all respects except that where the date should be is a 4-digit serial number.

Everything else is the same as an ASE.

So I guess these are just good looking silver rounds? I have 13 of them if someone wants them.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Came across some unusual ASE's

Postby pmbug » Tue May 28, 2024 10:43 am

Maybe Chinese fakes? Have you done any tests to ensure they really are silver?
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue May 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Nah, if they were faking them then they would just use a regular date. These have a clunky serial no. My dealer says they are just nice rounds, not ASEs.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue May 28, 2024 2:38 pm

Interesting. Do they have any type of private mint symbol/mark, or is the serial number the only thing that differentiates it from US Mind ASEs?
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue May 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:Interesting. Do they have any type of private mint symbol/mark, or is the serial number the only thing that differentiates it from US Mind ASEs?

The only difference is the serial number is where the date should be. I probably bought them from someone here a decade ago; I have a vague memory of buying some rounds and receiving these instead (lagniappe, not a rip off). I had these on my list as ASE's. When I went to sell them I checked the dates because sometimes they ask, and that is the only difference.

I do have some Golden State Mint rounds and these were as nice or nicer, except for the date thing.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue May 28, 2024 8:45 pm

There must be more things different than the lack of a date. An ASE says United States of America and One Dollar on the reverse. If someone put that on a round I would think they would get in trouble for counterfeiting.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 29, 2024 1:37 am

Mark Twain's Thoughts on Lagniappe
"We picked up one excellent word," wrote Mark Twain in Life on the Mississippi (1883), "a word worth traveling to New Orleans to get; a nice limber, expressive, handy word—'lagniappe'.... It is Spanish—so they said." Twain encapsulates the history of lagniappe quite nicely. English speakers learned the word from French-speaking Louisianians, but they in turn had adapted it from the American Spanish word la ñapa. (What Twain didn't know is that the Spanish word is from Quechua, from the word yapa, meaning "something added.") Twain went on to describe how New Orleanians completed shop transactions by saying "Give me something for lagniappe," to which the shopkeeper would respond with "a bit of liquorice-root, … a cheap cigar or a spool of thread." It took a while for lagniappe to catch on throughout the country, but in time, New Yorkers and New Orleanians alike were familiar with this "excellent word."

From Merriam-Webster dot com

The majority of my language studies has been focused on Japanese. Thanks for teaching me a new word.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed May 29, 2024 4:39 am

A lagniappe is something extra or unexpected that you don't pay extra for. The 13th donut in a baker's dozen.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:07 am

Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:35 pm

No photos at those links for me, looked like advertisement for photobucket.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:58 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:No photos at those links for me, looked like advertisement for photobucket.

That is what I get, too.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals