Coins that stink like stale smoke

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Coins that stink like stale smoke

Postby marblerye » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:57 am

Hi guys, I've been lurking on these boards for the last few months but this is my first post. This forum is a good source for useful information and I thank all of you for your many contributions.

So, I bought a roll of silver war nickels on ebay recently and they absolutely reek. The coins were wrapped in the paper coin roll, then in a plastic bag, then that was in an envelope, encased inside another larger mailing envelope. The smell was enough to make me gag before even opening the outermost envelope.

I've thrown away all the packaging but the coins still stink so I have them quarantined from my other PMs for the time being. What do you recommend for trying to remove the odor? I've heard others suggest placing the coins in another larger container with baking soda, being careful not to let the coins come into contact with the baking soda. Any ideas?
marblerye

Re: Coins that stink like stale smoke

Postby TXBullion » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

id be happy to buy your smelly coins! I had that once with a half but the paper it was wrapped in must have been a smoking environment and once that was gone, so was the smell
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slickeast » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 am

Since they are just billion coins, try using some hot water and dish soap. let em soak, rinse and lay out to dry.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:35 am

Hello Marblerye! Welcome to the fun!

Ahhh, how well I remember smoke stained coins! My dad chain smoked so much that everything in the house was stained smoke yellow! Whenever I open an old coin box that was my dad's, I still get a little wiff. It brings back good memories of my father. :)

Now, you don't have that connection so I am sure you want to get rid of the smell. Soaking them in hot soapy water, and then gently hand washing (no brushes) should do the trick without making any "cleaning marks" on the coins.

There are other solvents you can soak them in if that doesn't work, but I can't think of their names right now. Too much second hand smoke has addled my brain! :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals