Local dealer's opinion on bullion vs collector coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Local dealer's opinion on bullion vs collector coins

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:15 pm

I went to a local dealer shop to look through the foreign junk bin and overheard him telling another customer his opinion on buying bullion vs collectible coins.

He was telling the customer that the collector grade coin market isn't doing as well as the bullion market; they were specifically talking about PCGS graded Morgan CC dollars, etc and that is what this customer was looking to buy.

He told the customer his plans were to take his profits from bullion and put them all into collector coins; he was saying once bullion cools off that a lot of dealers will have junk coins while he will have the better slabbed collector coins.

I remember though this dealer telling me when gold hit $1k that it would fall back down to the $800s so I guess I should take what he says with a grain of salt

Just found what he was saying interesting; not sure if anyone agrees with him.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Local dealer's opinion on bullion vs collector coins

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:02 pm

I have been doing a little bit of that. I think it is a good idea if you can get collector stuff for bullion price. I would not sell a lot of bullion yet though.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:21 pm

EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!!!

junk will always be junk.... the truly rare pieces will always be valuable. The price growth of each is NOT tied to the other. Buy one when the other is hot. Better yet, sell the hot one to buy the cold one... repeat throughout your life and win

Hardly anyone liked silver at $5, $10, $15... but now that it is $43 :!:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Hades12 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Market Harmony wrote:EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!!!

junk will always be junk.... the truly rare pieces will always be valuable. The price growth of each is NOT tied to the other. Buy one when the other is hot. Better yet, sell the hot one to buy the cold one... repeat throughout your life and win

They don't want to "miss the train" looks to me like the big score has been made time to sale off and put it in the next thing.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Computer Jones » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 pm

Remember when the Ken Griffy rookie card went for $80?
Strike when the irons hot!!!
You only realize profit when you sell.

Timing is the part that's hard!

(Don't waste time thinking should have...
look ahead.)
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:29 pm

Market Harmony wrote:EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!!!

Yep. Yep. yep.

For 3 weeks now I have been giving the "core" a numismatic facelift.

clue: (think whats moved and what hasn't) often the same coin and series...... just differnt mint marks and grades. ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Heartkill » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:48 am

I too have been adding a lot of quality, numismatic type coins to my collection lately. At their current prices it's a no brainer.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals