Limbo! How low can you go?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What is the low on for silver on this correction?

Below 25
13%
25-29.99
31%
30-31.99
25%
32-33.99
16%
34-36
16%
This is the bottom
No votes

Total votes : 32

Limbo! How low can you go?

Postby blackrabbit » Thu May 05, 2011 10:47 am

With the currently crashing commodities, metal hoarders everywhere want to know what will be the bottom?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: Limbo! How low can you go?

Postby inflationhawk » Thu May 05, 2011 10:52 am

Enough to take the hubris and arrogance out of traders.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu May 05, 2011 11:11 am

What I find most interesting is how people view the market relative to their financial commitment. Those who are long view rising prices as a testament to the deterioration of fiat currency, even though the move in silver has a multiple alpha. When prices decline (and precipitously during a mass exodus), it couldn't possibly be the fiat appreciation, but a total manipulation of the metal market. :lol:
Take it all with a grain of salt.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu May 05, 2011 11:32 am

Jonflyfish wrote:What I find most interesting is how people view the market relative to their financial commitment. Those who are long view rising prices as a testament to the deterioration of fiat currency, even though the move in silver has a multiple alpha. When prices decline (and precipitously during a mass exodus), it couldn't possibly be the fiat appreciation, but a total manipulation of the metal market. :lol:

But what is strange, for example, is my 2nd favorite fiat, JPY, appreciating versus the USD. Shoot, their economy is in worse shape than ours; their sovereign debt a higher percentage of GDP than that of the US. FOREX doesn't happen in a vacuum, but I cannot get my brain around some of the things I see happening.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby whatsnext » Thu May 05, 2011 11:40 am

Did apmex spark this sell off fire? That over the top buyback was a temptation for any ASE holder.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Thu May 05, 2011 12:03 pm

Apmex's premium over spot on their ASE buy price was at $3 last week, it was 2.50 earlier this week and is now 1.80.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Thu May 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:What I find most interesting is how people view the market relative to their financial commitment. Those who are long view rising prices as a testament to the deterioration of fiat currency, even though the move in silver has a multiple alpha. When prices decline (and precipitously during a mass exodus), it couldn't possibly be the fiat appreciation, but a total manipulation of the metal market. :lol:

Agreed, if it was just fiat currency deterioration then why wasn't gold rising too by at least close to the same amount....or platinum for that matter? Fiat currency deterioration will happen, but over a longer period of time. Anything as rapid and singular as the silver rally has been had to be driven by more than just fiat currency deterioration. Folks can point to Zimbabwe and the Weimar republic of Germany all they want when pointing out rapid deterioration of fiat money, but they are no where near the size and scale of the US economy. It will be a long slow bleed with lots of volatility in between. There's very likely as much manipulation on the way down as there was on the way up. Manipulation is short term noise.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu May 05, 2011 12:16 pm

There are many nefarious forces in play here. I don't think the drop can be attributed to any one particular source or event, but there are certainly market makers acting in ways to influence the daily spot price.

One hears many things about the POS. The death (?) of bin Laden, the increase of COMEX silver margins, massive amounts being sold off at higher prices with the thought of flooding the market and then buying it back at a lower price and whatever the cause du'jour may be at any time you're trying to make sense out of this calculated mess.

I was mildly disturbed when the POS started to free fall. I thought the bottom would be in the $40 range, but I was obviously wrong there. Now that the drop is gaining in intensity, I say "Let 'er rip." I've been very close to buying a substantial amount, but have been in a wait-and-see mode trying to guess whatever will be the new bottom. Guess I actually wouldn't care too much if the POS dropped below $30/oz as this would be the greatest buying opportunity to come along in quite awhile.

This is a market that's being driven over the cliff by emotion, not fact. The fundamentals really haven't changed and inevitable rampant inflation is just as real as it was a week or two ago. I learned many years ago that I could take a punch and keep going in the right direction. That's still true. I do what I need to do in order to financially protect my family and me from the bums who try to control us.

Silver will never go to zero. Neither will my interest in acquiring more at the right time. I'm getting ready to back up the truck. If you listen carefully and follow the markets intelligently, I'll meet you at silver nirvana.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby moneydog » Thu May 05, 2011 1:10 pm

blackrabbit wrote:With the currently crashing commodities, metal hoarders everywhere want to know what will be the bottom?

i can hardly wait for a bottom in this market cme raised margin req 84% that will shake most spec out now we can build a bigger hoard :)
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals