Some kind of arbitrage opportunity going on?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Some kind of arbitrage opportunity going on?

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri May 06, 2011 7:43 pm

IMHO, silver could go to $5 and I will not be crying too much. I'd love to buy a Monster box for less than $5000. Others may have difference of opinion. I am throwing that out here because we do not know how low silver prices could go. As prices fluctuate, the market will create a bit of slop between what people will buy silver at versus what they will sell it at. I do think that a whole new generation of people have been turned onto precious metals and could not care less if volatility remains. The lesson has to be in it for the long run and possibly sell some off when suitable and buy back later at a lower price. The time has happened this week. As it stands right now, looks like physical silver sold piecemeal-like on Ebay can fetch a huge premium. So, isn't this is a good time to buy some low premium species like from Scottsdale or Northwest or other places and simultaneously sell off your junk and assorted ASEs for a price higher than the online dealer charges? That might be changing fast as I type this though, lol. Point is, a huge premium can not last long if it is possible to source low premium rounds or bars as a replacement for stuff being sold. I left out the Ebay fees here, I know, but the idea is to convert silver coins and varied condition SAEs and rounds into a uniform species to stack with.

IMHO, the genie is out of the bottle. Silver price drops shake the tree nicely and lock in more long term buy and holders. Isn't it ironic to think that lower and lower prices are too good to be true?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Some kind of arbitrage opportunity going on?

Postby whatsnext » Fri May 06, 2011 9:13 pm

You can only shake the tree so many times.
You can ride the wave only so many times before you can surf the wave.

More people got a good learning experience. The highs could be affected by this newer outlook.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rosco » Fri May 06, 2011 9:31 pm

This was a traders Price not the long term buy an hold people it can go down more :roll: my dca will still be positive but I prefer a very slow rise back up to $45 plus
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby hejira11 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:40 pm

whatsnext wrote:You can only shake the tree so many times.
You can ride the wave only so many times before you can surf the wave.

More people got a good learning experience. The highs could be affected by this newer outlook.

I agree, but have we reached a critical mass? Or the 100th monkey? I think I am officially the 86th Monkey. :P
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri May 06, 2011 10:47 pm

Rosco wrote:This was a traders Price not the long term buy an hold people it can go down more :roll: my dca will still be positive but I prefer a very slow rise back up to $45 plus

It could very well get to $45+ soon. What is there to compete with it right now? Higher interest rates would be the kill shot IMHO. Plenty of money being printed and we see how leverage is here to stay. Like I said, I think there has been a whole renewal in precious metals interest and their relevance to a long term strategy. It would be foolish for the bankers to let silver get cheap again so more of it would end up as a substitute for cash holdings. Like I said, they can have my $5000 in FRNs if I could get a monster box of SAEs in exchange. I just do not see things getting better for our currency and frankly, a collective lightbulb is going to go off in people's heads when they all figure out that paper money and paper stocks and the supposed laws that structure the paper money and paper entitlements are not backed by anything anybody can support. I am going off on a tangent here, but I can see some of the entropy making itself known. Things are not as chipper as they were in the 1990's.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Investin Cents » Fri May 06, 2011 11:18 pm

I just do not see things getting better for our currency and frankly, a collective lightbulb is going to go off in people's heads when they all figure out that paper money and paper stocks and the supposed laws that structure the paper money and paper entitlements are not backed by anything anybody can support.

Yep! Great summary! Paper is paper - PM's will rule out in the end! Just when the "end" is, and what it will look like, is the subject of much debate!

BTW, I follow Mr. Ferguson - I am not a trader, just a PM holder. He says to look for a double-bottom in Silver this week. That advice kept me from buying more today. See his great stuff at:

http://tfmetalsreport.blogspot.com/2011/05/cinqo-de-bottomo-part-ii.html

Good luck all! :)
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK - 1962

Current book: American Values - RFK Jr.; Favorite website (other than Realcent): Zerohedge.com; Favorite metals in order: Ag, Au, Pt, CuZn, CuZnSn, Cu, Ni, Al, CuNi and of course Pb encased in Cu [in various forms and sizes :)]
Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals