American Silver Eagles

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

American Silver Eagles

Postby MO-SILVER! » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Predominately I see people talking about buying 90% silver and various other types of silver investing.

My question is does anyone buy the ASE's often or regularly as a major part of investing or do you stick to other bars and rounds?

Also looking for the best place online to buy them if anyone had a favorite or best deals found.

Thanks.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Re: American Silver Eagles

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:43 pm

The best silver is that which is priced closest to spot when you buy it.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Beau » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 pm

I always buy Silver Eagles at the shows I attend, about 5 times a year.
I have one dealer that gives me a good price on them.
I don`t know where to buy them online, but be careful, they will sell you stuff they don`t have an take up to 6 months to get it.
one is AMPEX.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:54 am

I used to buy them from the auctions on ebay listed by the sellers who liquidate for the Treasure Hunters Roadshow. They run multiple listings in groups of five ASE's that all expire simultaneously, so if you place a reasonable bid you could usually get them maybe as much as a dollar apiece cheaper than APMEX. But these are pre-owned pieces, and sometimes have some toning. If you win multiple listings they just charge you for the first s/h and then add a dollar for each additional win. The following is a link to just ONE of their listing names, they have fifteen or so: http://cgi.ebay.com/5oz-Silver-999-Fine ... 4153081770 Good luck Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppertone » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:11 am

Would like to buy ASE's, Maple Leaf's or even 1 oz .999 rounds but on my limited budget I get more silver by sticking to the US 90% and the Canadian 80% Voyager dollars. My goal is to buy at melt value or slightly more shipped. I certainly could not do this with the more premium pure silver coins and rounds. I am concerned somewhat that I do not have any .999 silver but for the time being I am simply trying to accumlate the maximum amount of silver in forms that are easily recognized (US and Canadian coins).
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:06 am

coppertone wrote:Would like to buy ASE's, Maple Leaf's or even 1 oz .999 rounds but on my limited budget I get more silver by sticking to the US 90% and the Canadian 80% Voyager dollars. My goal is to buy at melt value or slightly more shipped. I certainly could not do this with the more premium pure silver coins and rounds. I am concerned somewhat that I do not have any .999 silver but for the time being I am simply trying to accumlate the maximum amount of silver in forms that are easily recognized (US and Canadian coins).

Sounds like a good plan. I am doing much the same myself. Silver is silver, but any coin from the US mint will fetch a better price at re-sale than silver rounds from a private mint. They are in greater demand. Unbelievably, a coin dealer offered me more to buy ASE than Canadian Maple Leafs (CML). I protested. The CML has greater purity in the silver and therefore should get more money. The dealer said ASEs sell better and get a higher price. Doh! How dumb is that?!

eBay is the closest thing I have to buying on line. I have not purchased anything here at RealCent, yet, but will soon. I prefer to buy at coin shops anonymously.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:22 am

Absolutely ASE's should be purchased, I find ASE's are the easiest to resell and command a higher price when selling than the private mints. But they also command a higher premium so dont pay just any price...they very significantly... peruse ebay carefully there are good deals there, they just have to be found....get as tight to spot as you can...last ASE I bought on ebay cost me $14 with shipping a few months back....the pawn shop listed it as "sterling silver coin", the picture was of a ASE. Dont forget craigslist too. Good Luck!
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:50 am

I like ASE's for gift giving, .999 bars for trading up and 90% for hoarding. Trading on the ratios is what got me my first ounce of gold. My sons have been silver bugs for quite a while now and they started out with 90% before they moved to .999 ag. I like ASE's, they are a highly dependable bullion coin for resale. I especially like the proofs. I just never liked the premiums they carry. It's like others have said, shop around and you'll find some deals out there. Preferably face to face so there is no paper trail.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I have an opportunity to buy 100 ASE's at 1.50 over spot. Is anyone buying these at this point or are most waiting for a pullback? (just curious what everyone is doin personally, not looking for investment advice, survey only)
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Beau » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:56 pm

I`am waiting for a pullback, I will Buy then and it will not take much of a pullback, before I`am ready.
the pullback look like it started today, but you can`t tell by one day.

PM me if you want to sell ASE`s
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:06 am

It seems as though everyone is waiting for this pullback just to buy more. . . will silver ever be under $20 again???
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:10 am

normal premium had stabilized at 2 bucks over spot on large orders, so buck fifty is a great price. mint just announced they are jacking up premiums to wholesalers so expect the new normal to be 2.50 over.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cptindy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:05 pm

Personally I do not play the pull back game.

I buy every week like clock work.

I started buying junk silver and switched to only purchase bullion. My Half dollar hunts provide plenty of rogue silver.

ASE's, IMHO will be easy to move when the time is right, as well as name brand bullion coins. Their premiums will be of no concern once silver hits stage 3. Their recognition in the market is an advantage I suspect.

Who really knows, its all personal preference.
"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"
"The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."
H.L. Mencken
Cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kenaugust7 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:50 am

Silver Eagles used to get good money but as far as I know it was before 4 to 5 years. I think it's always good to invest on what you are getting more money and on the coin whose future is bright and for that you need to be in market.
kenaugust7

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals