Calc

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Calc

Postby rsk1963 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:00 am

Out of curiosity do ya'll use a coin calculator provided online or have you developed and use your own?
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Re: Calc

Postby beauanderos » Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 am

most of us use coinflation.com
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Corsair » Wed May 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Never, ever use that abbreviation! Some of us college students instantly associate that with "Calculus"!
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby bgretz1989 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Corsair wrote:Never, ever use that abbreviation! Some of us college students instantly associate that with "Calculus"!

I take it calculus is not your favorite subject huh?

i thought the topic was the same though.....but back on topic i also use http://www.coinflation.com
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby Roadrunner » Wed May 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Corsair wrote:Never, ever use that abbreviation! Some of us college students instantly associate that with "Calculus"!

:lol: :lol: That is EXACTLY what I thought of.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:40 pm

How about "diff-e-q" ? :twisted:
natsb88

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed May 18, 2011 6:09 pm

natsb88 wrote:

How about "diff-e-q" ? :twisted:

Calc is mostly plug and play......but.....thats just mean nate.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby RxForPain » Wed May 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Differential Equations was no fun either!
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Corsair » Wed May 18, 2011 6:18 pm

I was going to PM most of the people individually who offered me support last semester, but since it's brought up here, I'll make the announcement in this thread. I'm sorry to yoink your thread, rsk, but as Ray said, coinflation is the best place to go, hands down. Anyway...

I got a B in Calculus! I was only three questions on the final away from getting an A. Since math isn't where I want to go with my life, I doubt I'll make it to Diff Eq. But I am registered for Calc II in the fall, because I do enjoy math, and it's hard to imagine a year at school without a math class of some kind. To all those who wished me well, I greatly appreciate it, and keep up the prayers for the fall!
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Dumpster Diver » Wed May 18, 2011 6:22 pm

I built one in excel. Just update your qtys and it does all the rest.
I've also got a tab for foreign Ag coins that is handy to print when going to the coin shop to forage the bargain bins.
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Corsair wrote:I was going to PM most of the people individually who offered me support last semester, but since it's brought up here, I'll make the announcement in this thread. I'm sorry to yoink your thread, rsk, but as Ray said, coinflation is the best place to go, hands down. Anyway...

I got a B in Calculus! I was only three questions on the final away from getting an A. Since math isn't where I want to go with my life, I doubt I'll make it to Diff Eq. But I am registered for Calc II in the fall, because I do enjoy math, and it's hard to imagine a year at school without a math class of some kind. To all those who wished me well, I greatly appreciate it, and keep up the prayers for the fall!

Congrats on the grade! My score on the AP exam wasn't good enough to get credit in college, but it did qualify me for "accelerated calculus," which just meant I took Calc I and II in the same semester. In hindsight, that wasn't a good choice, as I really struggled towards the end of Calc II and all through Calc III and Diff Eq. Those three are the worst grades on my transcript. There is a general consensus among engineering students and faculty at my school that the way calculus is taught in the math department does not translate well to engineering applications. My class actually provided a lot of feedback junior and senior years that is being used to restructure part of the curriculum, so hopefully it will improve in the future.
natsb88

Postby rsk1963 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:09 pm

:ugeek: lol sorry.

Corsair wrote:I was going to PM most of the people individually who offered me support last semester, but since it's brought up here, I'll make the announcement in this thread. I'm sorry to yoink your thread, rsk, but as Ray said, coinflation is the best place to go, hands down. Anyway...

It's all good. Congrats.

Dumpster Diver wrote:I built one in excel. Just update your qtys and it does all the rest.
I've also got a tab for foreign Ag coins that is handy to print when going to the coin shop to forage the bargain bins.
(or live auctions)

Very cool. The reason I asked is because I did something very similar (replace forgien coin with sterling calculator ( better? :mrgreen: )). Before I realized I could use coinflation or some other thing, and I was just kinda curious as to who uses what for my own personal knowledge (for a lack of better words).
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby fusscharles » Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 pm

I do it all by abacus and sun dails to determine spot on bullion.

For real though, I just check spot and do the quick math- multipliers of .77 and .723 (I know that later one should be .715, but I just got use to punching that in)..... for old dollars and devisible coinage. Then I do my standard .85 and make the offer;-)

I had a guy call me yesterday from my add on CL and asked what I was buying for... I said $21.50. He responds to that "Hmmm, let me see, that is $21.50 times $5000 face.... that comes to around 100K right?" I quickly explained to him that I was wasting his time and good luck selling that kind of weight.....
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 pm

fusscharles wrote:I do it all by abacus and sun dails to determine spot on bullion.

For real though, I just check spot and do the quick math- multipliers of .77 and .723 (I know that later one should be .715, but I just got use to punching that in)..... for old dollars and devisible coinage. Then I do my standard .85 and make the offer;-)

I had a guy call me yesterday from my add on CL and asked what I was buying for... I said $21.50. He responds to that "Hmmm, let me see, that is $21.50 times $5000 face.... that comes to around 100K right?" I quickly explained to him that I was wasting his time and good luck selling that kind of weight.....

Get a personal loan and then sell it all here for $22X. You would make some moola and make a lot of people here happy.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed May 18, 2011 10:34 pm

I use a Krause book and a pencil, and a piece of paper.

I screw it up almost every time
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Thogey wrote:I use a Krause book and a pencil, and a piece of paper.

I screw it up almost every time

Hey, I have the patent on screwing it up almost every time! By your own admission, you now owe me lots of money which will help me recover some of my losses from screwing it up almost every time.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu May 19, 2011 11:57 pm

I made an excel sheet before I found coinflation. I still use my excell sheet when I want to calculate at what price I will buy at. I then keep track of my sales and purchases as well as what I have in coin or bar form and what my pile is worth at current spot price. Excel is a great tool.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby anarchir » Fri May 20, 2011 12:07 am

Of course most people use coinflation because the site ROCKS but heres one for adding up multiple coins, good for placing bids on ebay right before an auction closes:

http://www.coinnews.net/tools/automated ... -valuator/
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby psi » Fri May 20, 2011 5:36 am

shinnosuke wrote:
fusscharles wrote:I do it all by abacus and sun dails to determine spot on bullion.

Get a personal loan and then sell it all here for $22X. You would make some moola and make a lot of people here happy.

Or, it could be a setup for a robbery as in that news story posted here recently where a coin dealer was robbed of $60k and his car on a fake silver buy. Getting robbed of a large amount of borrowed money would be a very bad scenario.

I like http://www.australian-threepence.com/si ... values.htm for calculation Canadian silver totals in Canadian dollars. There are pages on many countries' coins.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals