Sorting quarters and dimes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sorting quarters and dimes

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:25 pm

Is it worth sorting quarters and dimes if you can buy them in the bank plastic rolls? I figure you can just look at the edges real quick. I have pretty good relationships with a couple of dump banks so I am pretty sure they would take any rolls still in plastic back from me.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Sorting quarters and dimes

Postby Beau » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:35 pm

I went through $800. in dimes not one silver.
I went through $1300. in quarters not one silver.

I don`t waste my time on them.

it looks like silver searching is at the end, except with Buy It now.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rainsonme » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:40 am

I am on a dime fetish at the moment, getting $250 plastic wrapped boxes through the week. I am finding almost 1 per box. Tough way to make a dime. On the other hand, the $250 in dimes fits in with my other returns, so there is no additional bank run required. And I like having the smaller denomination of silver.

All this silver in the wild is a diminishing return. It will get more scarce every year. In 20 years or so, finding a silver coin will be closer to finding an indian head penny today. But for now, there seems to be about 1 silver dime per evey $250 to $500 in dimes. Quarters are much tougher to find, and other than one very lucky day at the bank, all the silver quartes I have found were in customer wrapped rolls, and all single events (no rich rolls).

If you really want silver dimes at 10 cent cost, keep sorting dimes. Probably not a very good ROI, but its a hobby -----
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:54 am

Your best percentages are in halves. And since I am already visiting the banks for penny pickups and dumps it's no extra effort for me. But it does tie up some capital. Although there are long dry spells, occasionally some idiot who doesn't realize what they've got will introduce silver back into the stream Image, and then there's always just one or two 40%'s that are so well disguised that they're nearly impossible to differentiate without date checking. Those will amaze you, because you don't catch them by edge-checking Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby agmoose » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:07 am

Myself and a couple of others I know also find approx 1 dime per $250 box. A buddy of mine found 4 in one box, but that is very abnormal. CWR may yield better results, as you never know when Grandma's stash may get cashed in. Therefore - I regularly pick up 40-80 in CWR from various banks, and the find rate in those is probably a little better, but not much.

Quarters - I've never searched boxes, but have searched ALOT of CWR and have only found 1. I've gotten two in change in the past 3 years, so its more likely that I'll get one in change than in a bank box. lol.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:04 am

I already do 8k of halves a week; just wasn't sure if it was worth throwing in a box of dimes every once and a while
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:19 am

I like CWR Dimes, I seem to average around 1 Ag every $125 or so.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 am

In the last year I've had better luck snagging 90% out of teller's coin trays then I have sorting bags. One on my sons likes the $250 dime boxes. He's averaging 2-3 silvers per box over the last year.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby killerken53 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 am

I can usually get 1-2 $1000 bags of dimes from the credit union coin counter each week. I get 5-10 silvers per bag. I can usually pick them out by sound as I scoop coins out of the bag. If I could come up with a quick way of lining the coins up on edge I could probably go through a bag in an hour. As it is now, it takes me 2 or 3 hours to edge sort a bag.
killerken53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby garnede » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:17 am

I think it depends on the location, If you can get 2-3 silver dimes per box then it is worth the cost of wrappers. If you can get plastic wrappers, then 1 every other box might be ok, since you do not have to open each roll. I think that I find more value in half dollars though, I only get dimez bacause I can not get enough halves. If you have a steady supply of halves, then don't wory about other denominations.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

R. J. Wiedemann Lt Col. USMC Ret.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/
garnede
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:34 am

I also have better luck with .10 an .50 cents. buying penny's other day saw a Peace dollar, but she said it was claimed ha ha but that is source that sell box a week to me.
Yesterday stopped for cents asked for halves she said i,m not sure but let me buy 1968 :D

Yesterday coin shop traded $22.00 of 40 % for 5 bullion bars new in plastic, that's 80% melt, had to offer to drive 50 miles to get that much.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Dumpster Diver » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Roadrunner wrote:I like CWR Dimes, I seem to average around 1 Ag every $125 or so.

Agree...CWRs on dimes are where its at. The potential for a big score is always there. Box hunting: 1 per box- you can set your watch to it.
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals