What's it worth?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What's it worth?

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Hello all.

Just have a question here. I have a gold british half sovereign dated 1918.
It has King George IV on the obverse. For mint marks, the only thing I have found is what seems to be a small "O" on the ground under the horse on which St. George is seated on the reverse.

I was wondering if this would have any extra, numismatic value over spot.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
realmoneyHOARDER

Re: What's it worth?

Postby CDNHoard » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Never heard of an O mark. C means Ottawa (Canada). They are nice coins, but not much numismatic interest except for a few rare years (1916C seems to me). I would hang on to it, just for coolness factor. as good as any other gold coin.

Rick
CDNHoard

Postby Somnophore » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:56 pm

There is no O mint mark, there is a C as stated. If it's a C it's Reasonably rare they only
minted those for 10 years I think around 100,000 minted that year so will be worth more than scrap value, they were minted to coin the gold from the Yukon gold rush.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Oh yes sorry.
It was in fact a C mintmark.
realmoneyHOARDER

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals