Would you rather own...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Would you rather own...

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:06 pm

A) 1 oz American Silver Eagle or
B) 1 oz Canadian Maple Leaf?

(assume everything else being equal ie. year, condition, etc.)
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Would you rather own...

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:15 pm

Canada made the wrong choice 235 years ago and stayed a part of the British Commonwealth. Eagles all the way! :lol:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:23 pm

I like the Maple Leaf a little more than the Eagles - slightly higher purity (.9999) and much higher face value ($5).
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:43 pm

If I had to choose from either of those and prices were equal Id take eagles because Ive seen their premiums do stange things to where you can often profit from their premiums alone. Ive done that twice now, where I got them when the pressure was off of them a bit, and sold them when it wasnt diverting the cash into other forms of silver.

But Id actually take mexican libertads at this point, even though you didnt list those. because theres an influential fellow in mexico who wants to have a monetary value placed onto them, that is higher then melt. It would go up with the silver price but never down. this way the silver could stay in circulation. In fact over time i may put all my .999 into libertads just in case this is ever pulled off. If not who cares I still have well known and respected .999, but if it happens then Id have a further hedge for my assets. Mexico is a days car ride from here, if silver plummeted I could go down there exchange for pesos, then for dollars, and buy more silver presumably. (not sure how taking metal over the border would work out)
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mr18 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Even though maples are .9999, Eagles sell quicker. Eagles are just simply easier to buy and sell. A lot of people do not like or understand foreign silver. I purchase what is easily recognizable, Eagles are a safe bet.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hejira11 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 am

bankmining wrote:I like the Maple Leaf a little more than the Eagles - slightly higher purity (.9999) and much higher face value ($5).

Ditto
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby merchoarder » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:24 am

I'd take the maples. Based on nothing other than personal preference... I just like them better. I'm American and I must admit I'm not wild about the Queens head (no offense to anyone) but that maple leaf is just beautiful.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver Addict » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 am

Eagles, hands down.

Maples were the first thing to leave my stack as silver crossed over $40 on the run-up. No eagles left the nest until I could get $50 for them. Thing I really don't like about maples is the milky spots most get eventually. Once they get those, I find it hard to get more than generic price for them.

Plus, living in the US, I stack mostly US bullion. If I lived in Canada, I would probably stack maples.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:48 am

I really like the Canadian Wildlife coins...they're kinda Maples. higher face value seems like its a good thing
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:42 am

Maples are higher in purity and usually sell for less FRN, so it's Maples for me.

Not trying to go off on a tangent, but double ditto for Gold Maple Leafs, too.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:39 am

ASEs are far more liquid in the U.S. than Maples or Libertads, although the point about Hugo Salinas Price is an interesting speculation.

If I had a source for Libertads cheap i might consider taking a flyer but ultimately the ASE's are a better value.

A tougher question is do you buy a .999 round for 1.50 over, a Maple for $3 over, or an ASE for $4 over.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 pm

I'd have to go with the Maples, too. They do have the much higher face value ($5 vs $1) and are likely more respected these days. The US hasn't made many friends lately and purely from a resale perspective, they may be better to unload.

Like others, I held on to my Eagles during the recent run up and will likely do so until I'm SO tempted by the POS to send them on their way. I dislike having to make decisions based upon resale potential, but we all have to look out for ourselves.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals