Colorized and Gold plated Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Colorized and Gold plated Silver

Postby slickeast » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:58 am

I went to a little coin/pawn shop yesterday and he had a colorized and gold plated ASE that I think he wanted $20 each for. I didn't buy them but I am gonna go back first thing Monday and get.

Can they be melted with other .999 or would the color and gold plating not be removable by skimming?

He also had some Peace dollars for $16 and $17. Gonna go get them also.

I didn't have much cash so I only bought a Morgan for $17 ( Can read Liberty on it ) and a Peace for $16.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Colorized and Gold plated Silver

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:57 am

The paint would just burn off, and for such a small piece, it would not matter. If for some reason there was a lot of extra material (paint, varnish, glue, etc) then a pre-clean would pay dividends. I once got in a large lot of knock-off SAEs that had a thick layer of varnish over paint on one side of the round. I don't know why anyone would do that, but it was a real pain getting that crap off before I melted them down.

The gold plating would not even show up on the assay unless the whole piece was thickly electroplated. But, from what I am assuming about the piece, whatever minuscule amount of gold that is on there will not affect a remelt. If it came into my shop, then I would not use it as raw material for the bullion, but I would use it to bring up the purity of low grade scrap... makes it easier to refine when the purity is higher (thus the larger discount to spot for war nickels and 40% Half Dollars)

Anyways, sounds like a nice little honey hole that you found there. Make sure you walk out heavier than you walked in. Get rid of that paper and get some real money :D
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: Colorized and Gold plated Silver

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:53 pm

At this point I would buy all that stuff as the seller must not be watching the price of silver.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals