$3.50 in silver at store

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

$3.50 in silver at store

Postby jimhoff » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 pm

So I work at a small family-owned convenience store. So far I've found a few war nickles and about 50 bicentennial coins (mostly quarters but a few halves). Today two kids (really 20-somethings) came in and wanted to buy a little pipe. It was five dollars and they actually asked me if it was alright to pay with quarters. I said alright. They had 14 quarters and a few dollar bills. They told me the quarters were silver even before they handed them to me. I said that the quarters were enough and I paid for the pipe for them and kept the quarters. So I paid 5 dollars for 3.50 in silver. I think I came out a head and the kids thought they got the better deal. I just don't understand how people can know they have silver and think it's not worth any more than face.

About two months ago an Indian (South Asian) came into the store as he was counting out change I noticed he had a Buffalo nickle in his pile. I asked if I could buy it and he just gave it to me. It was dateless, but I love it as it's the only one I've ever seen in person.

Before this time I've only gotten a few 40% Kennedys, which I take, and a few clad Ikes, which I also take because how often do you see those large dollars? I also average about 5 wheat cents a week, either through customers or rolls we use.
jimhoff

Re: $3.50 in silver at store

Postby knibloe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Nice score. Welcome to the site
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 pm

You gotta love it when things like that happen. :D
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:14 pm

My turn!!!!!
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Great first post. Hope you will visit often and share more good stories.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:41 am

That's awesome. good job man.

I once showed an ounce of silver to a few friends. One of them asked "So that's like a dollar's worth of silver?" I don't either. That's how you find silverware sets and stuff at garage sales though. :D
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Heartkill » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:38 am

I love hearing stories like this. Nice score!

I'm in the same age group but the lack of common sense (insert pun here) is just mind blowing from people of my generation. They would rather have a stack of FRN's than some "dirty old coins". More for my stack :mrgreen:
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals