Whats wrong with this picture?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Whats wrong with this picture?

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

more filth crawling out the wood work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-UNOPENED-Box-US ... 35b340b1a4

i've sent in a letter of complaint, if any of ya'll could help, we could at the very least stick a finger in the dike.

the seller is some poor Ralph Kramden, with too many bills to pay, desperate and thought this might be a way to scare up mortgage/grocery money..its sad, but still.............
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Whats wrong with this picture?

Postby jasmatk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:12 am

I feel sorry for anyone who buys that.you would have to find 250 silver halves to even break even and i dont think anyones finding 25% silver.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:57 am

Internet access to the terminally stupid is a real tragedy. Gives us all a bad name.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 am

Yes, the guy had that up there for a ridiculous price. But was there anything misleading about the auction? I think that showing that many silver coins up on that box is a stretch for sure. Trust me, I agree with you guys that it is a ridiculous auction, but if someone wants to pay that much for it, that would be there problem, would it not? No one bid on it so that in itself is incentive to reduce the amount of stupid auctions. I am just not comfortable saying that overpriced items should be banned from eBay. There are TONS of BuyItNow items on eBay that are grossly overpriced. Where do you draw the line? If this guy had skipped the picture showing all of those silver coins as if they came from one box, would you be OK with that auction? What if I threw a bank box up there for $900 to see if there is anyone dumb enough to buy it? Would that be dishonest? I am not trying to defend the guy really, maybe I am missing something here and I just don't understand why you guys are so pissed about this? I felt almost like I was scamming someone when I sold a full sealed box of 2007 zincolns on eBay at a premium, I personally find it silly that someone would pay that much for them, but this is capitalism in action. If someone wants to pay that much then it is their problem, right? 2 parties making an voluntary exchange. Or in this case, 1 party asking way too much for something and no one buying it. Please proceed to bash me if I deserve it.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:57 pm

NHsorter wrote:Yes, the guy had that up there for a ridiculous price. But was there anything misleading about the auction? I think that showing that many silver coins up on that box is a stretch for sure. Trust me, I agree with you guys that it is a ridiculous auction, but if someone wants to pay that much for it, that would be there problem, would it not? No one bid on it so that in itself is incentive to reduce the amount of stupid auctions. I am just not comfortable saying that overpriced items should be banned from eBay. There are TONS of BuyItNow items on eBay that are grossly overpriced. Where do you draw the line? If this guy had skipped the picture showing all of those silver coins as if they came from one box, would you be OK with that auction? What if I threw a bank box up there for $900 to see if there is anyone dumb enough to buy it? Would that be dishonest? I am not trying to defend the guy really, maybe I am missing something here and I just don't understand why you guys are so pissed about this? I felt almost like I was scamming someone when I sold a full sealed box of 2007 zincolns on eBay at a premium, I personally find it silly that someone would pay that much for them, but this is capitalism in action. If someone wants to pay that much then it is their problem, right? 2 parties making an voluntary exchange. Or in this case, 1 party asking way too much for something and no one buying it. Please proceed to bash me if I deserve it.

I think the auctions for the unsearched wheat penny rolls are more scandalous than this one. We already know about those 100 mil silver art bar auctions that probably count on the bidders not paying attention to the wording of the auction. The problem generally is that the seller has an auction that baits bidders that did not do their homework or in the case of the wheat rolls, are willing to take a chance because the rolls have some swell coins on the ends (but usually have common date coins stuffed inside) and hope that the roll has a bunch of other goodies. There are too many coin sellers willing to bend the truth or omit stating things are about their coins that by now, it is a lottery to ever find a wheat roll with key dates or other goodies.

When a seller sets up an auction like the one above for the halves, they can not be a trustworthy person as a matter of record. They might not try to scam necessarily but they do show that they do not care about people not getting fair value and at least the auction they ran demonstrated that.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:39 pm

I just did an 'ask a question' on the auction.

"Hi I was wondering, do you get some petty pleasure out of being a dick? or is it some kind of necessity you find yourself having that you need to prey off your fellow Americans in order to gain a few bits of cash?

One more question. At what point in your life did you decide that the possibility of gaining $2500 was worth compromising your morals? Or did you never have any to begin with?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions regarding your item for sale. Have a great day."
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:43 pm

avidbrandy wrote:I just did an 'ask a question' on the auction.

"Hi I was wondering, do you get some petty pleasure out of being a dick? or is it some kind of necessity you find yourself having that you need to prey off your fellow Americans in order to gain a few bits of cash?

One more question. At what point in your life did you decide that the possibility of gaining $2500 was worth compromising your morals? Or did you never have any to begin with?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions regarding your item for sale. Have a great day."

You ought to be a TV judge after you leave the military. :lol:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:52 pm

i dont see the problem. Great link on the halves though. I ordered 3 boxes!!! Im feeling lucky!!!!! :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:22 pm

awww they took my question.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:53 am

I agree that the "unsearched" wheat rolls are unethical and I have also seen people listing 12ozt coins as 16oz because it says "one pound" on the coin. I find those, and many others as worse than this auction for the halves. I personally would not list an auction like this, and I thought that it approaches the line, but does not cross it. I am sticking to my feeling that the guy is a douche for making this listing *and putting the pic in there with all of those silver coins especially*. But if he had omitted that pic, I don't feel comfortable saying that I think he should not be able to take a legit item (an unserached box of halves) and list it for a high price. Just my opinion on this one, sorry.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Somnophore » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:53 pm

I think anyone stupid enough to buy anything like that doesn't deserve the money anyway. A fool and his money are soon parted, and I'm fine with that, idiots don't deserve the money if they can't be bothered to do basic research more fool them.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:27 pm

NHsorter wrote:I agree that the "unsearched" wheat rolls are unethical and I have also seen people listing 12ozt coins as 16oz because it says "one pound" on the coin. I find those, and many others as worse than this auction for the halves. I personally would not list an auction like this, and I thought that it approaches the line, but does not cross it.

Well, they are right, in a sense. Troy pounds vs. Avoirdupois pounds. It's just up to both the seller to do the right measurement of weight, and the buyer to understand what amount of metal they are getting into.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Somnophore wrote:I think anyone stupid enough to buy anything like that doesn't deserve the money anyway. A fool and his money are soon parted, and I'm fine with that, idiots don't deserve the money if they can't be bothered to do basic research more fool them.

thats well and swell, until you get taken, which is why i believe that us, in the mkt, who know the rub, protect the weak by policeing the scum OUT the market.

let me tell something, in a grid down market, no paper money, just coins and barter, any scumbugs, or rip-offs, or rapists, or guys that mess with weights and measures, in an area where i have any say, the punishment will be HARSH, it will set an unequivocable message, [fluff] with our market, and you will pray for death.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:40 am

neilgin1 wrote:
Somnophore wrote:I think anyone stupid enough to buy anything like that doesn't deserve the money anyway. A fool and his money are soon parted, and I'm fine with that, idiots don't deserve the money if they can't be bothered to do basic research more fool them.

thats well and swell, until you get taken, which is why i believe that us, in the mkt, who know the rub, protect the weak by policeing the scum OUT the market.

let me tell something, in a grid down market, no paper money, just coins and barter, any scumbugs, or rip-offs, or rapists, or guys that mess with weights and measures, in an area where i have any say, the punishment will be HARSH, it will set an unequivocable message, [fluff] with our market, and you will pray for death.

Yeah... in a scenario like that, just imagine someone preying on the ignorance of others by trying to pass, say, a BU 40% half as having the same value as a 90%, then imagine what would happen to that jerk when the duped victim woke up and returned for retribution. Lynch time.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:57 am

Lynch time is definitely a tool in the box. another could be stocks...yes?

ummm, tar and feathering could be another, though i would caution that we keep the tar more warm than hot, it would be the shame and the darned hardness of getting FULLY clean for a while that would serve the purpose.

one other could be the brand "T" by red hot metal on the cheek or forehead.

i'm trying to think of first time (and only time) offenders by making the punishment so painful and shameful, they would either flee or be tamed, and others comptemplating such wicked behavior would rethink such foolishness.

death is too easy, shame and pain would be more effective long term to crafting a square and fair market.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Somnophore » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:24 am

If something is a scam then fine, yes it's fraud, for example you mentioned passing 40% half off as 90% or Chinese "silver" that's just base metal. However this isn't that kind of fraud, it relies on ignorance and greed, both not traits I'd want to reinforce by protecting ignorant greedy people, if they buy it in the belief it's all silver they just hager ready it properly, When they realise they're mistake maybe it will make them less ignorant and greedy in the future and make them do a bit of necessary research.

I don't spend £20 generally without having done research at some point on the product, I certainly wouldn't buy $3000 item off eBay until it researched it to death and knew exactly what I was buying.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:56 am

Somnophore wrote:If something is a scam then fine, yes it's fraud, for example you mentioned passing 40% half off as 90% or Chinese "silver" that's just base metal. However this isn't that kind of fraud, it relies on ignorance and greed, both not traits I'd want to reinforce by protecting ignorant greedy people, if they buy it in the belief it's all silver they just hager ready it properly, When they realise they're mistake maybe it will make them less ignorant and greedy in the future and make them do a bit of necessary research.

I don't spend £20 generally without having done research at some point on the product, I certainly wouldn't buy $3000 item off eBay until it researched it to death and knew exactly what I was buying.

you DO make a good point.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals