The End of a Fun Hobby

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The End of a Fun Hobby

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:11 pm

Well... it had to happen sooner or later. Wish it had been later. Just got my source bank to okay ordering 19 boxes of halves and 20 of cents for me per week. Just set up my 4th Ryedale in the chain and have production running smoothly. Now what happens? Dump Disaster! Image Doing a dump loop, Bank of America teller confides to me that the contract with Loomis is expiring in a couple of weeks and that the new carrier will be imposing fees, either $6 or $8 a bag, on returns... which the bank intends to pass along to the merchants "after all, they have to earn money." Thanks a lot, Frank-Dodd. This means... since I'm lucky to find one half in every other box, that even if it was only $6 a bag for returns, then halves hunting has now become a losing proposition for me. This means... since I'm limited to $50 of cents (weight limit) in penny bag returns... that they will be charging more than Coinstar (12- 16%). Hell! Crap! [shucks]! Phooey! Rats! Image Well, guess I'll just have to take up a new hobby, maybe start going to the gym. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeMrttj8Ucg
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: The End of a Fun Hobby

Postby Corsair » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Sorry to hear that, Ray. Always a tear-jerker to read these stories.

If penny dumps start to give you a problem, and you need to get rid of one of those extra Ryedales at a bargain-basement price...
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Unfortunately I think we are going to hear more of this happening as more people start sorting and banks get hit with huge increases in coin being returned each week.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Time to hunt a new dump bank. One that doesn't charge fees.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:48 pm

slickeast wrote:Time to hunt a new dump bank. One that doesn't charge fees.

Nope... I'm hanging it up.
beauanderos

Postby WizardTN » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Granted I do not have as much money invested as most of you here, nor do I turn over anywhere near what you do.
Here is my take on pennies at this time.
I sort out the coppers and reroll the zincs, and stack them both.

There has already been 1 bill that has passed the house recently to do away with the penny. It died in committee in the senate. It wil be just a matter of time and it will happen.

Coinflation:
» A roll of zinc cent(s) has 50 coins and is valued at $0.33 when zinc is at $1.1309 / lb and copper at $4.4423 / lb (exact value is $0.33446467556934).

So 1 2 and/or 3 will happen.
The penny will become a collectable.
The penny content will become even more valuable as metals continue to rise. (66% now)
The treasury will follow Canada and go to copper clad steel.

In any case, it is a small savings program.

"Patience Grasshopper"
Keep stacking.

spot-zinc-1y.gif
spot-zinc-1y.gif (5.87 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Attachments
zinc-gold.png
zinc-gold.png (9.12 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Last edited by WizardTN on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:39 pm

I dont believe you will be able to walk away......
TXBullion

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 pm

You just gotta be creative from now on.

Offer rolled coin to some friends in businesses. When a project for around the house turns up, grab the cost in coin, sort, and redeem at coinstar for a GC.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:13 pm

You guys are offering remedies for a couple of hundred a week. I was doing ten thousand a week.
beauanderos

Postby WizardTN » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 pm

As was said above, talk to al the big box stores in town, become the "go to guy" for coins when the banks are closed. Weekends, holidays, nights and you deliver!
Last edited by WizardTN on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 pm

WizardTN wrote:As was said above, talk too al the big box stores in town, become the "go to guy" for coins when the banks are closed. Weekends, holidays, nights and you deliver!

How often does someone need coins when banks are closed? I would think with the advent of "credit cards" not very often.
barrytrot

Postby WizardTN » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:32 pm

It has been stated many times that the biggest coinage needs of a business are quarters and pennies.

There are still a lot of cash transactions.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Oakair » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:11 pm

beauanderos wrote:You guys are offering remedies for a couple of hundred a week. I was doing ten thousand a week.

I feel bad for anyone else who tried to hoard in your area :lol: :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wagsthadog » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:05 am

Hi there-

I feel for you Ray- I have kind of gotten deep with coin sorting a little bit too, at my glorious peak I was doing about $5K a week in assorted coins, but at that level it stops being fun, and it becomes like an addiction...you end up blowing off fun things and a lot of gas/time running in circles...now it's all fine and well when you're making 10 silver halves per box, but like, 1 coin per $5K?....NOT cool!!! and, I've been there, too-

Ah, I thought the same with pennies...you'll be back....just do it calmly. Once you accept that no one gets it all, you're cool with like 1K in halves a week.

JMO- wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby GTOJohn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:23 am

as others - i have enjoyed reading your posts.
hope to see ya back soon - maybe just pennies?
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:08 am

barrytrot wrote:
WizardTN wrote:As was said above, talk too al the big box stores in town, become the "go to guy" for coins when the banks are closed. Weekends, holidays, nights and you deliver!

How often does someone need coins when banks are closed? I would think with the advent of "credit cards" not very often.

Holiday weekends for starters.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ardorlan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:11 pm

WizardTN wrote:Granted I do not have as much money invested as most of you here, nor do I turn over anywhere near what you do.
Here is my take on pennies at this time.
I sort out the coppers and reroll the zincs, and stack them both.

There has already been 1 bill that has passed the house recently to do away with the penny. It died in committee in the senate. It wil be just a matter of time and it will happen.

Coinflation:
» A roll of zinc cent(s) has 50 coins and is valued at $0.33 when zinc is at $1.1309 / lb and copper at $4.4423 / lb (exact value is $0.33446467556934).

So 1 2 and/or 3 will happen.
The penny will become a collectable.
The penny content will become even more valuable as metals continue to rise. (66% now)
The treasury will follow Canada and go to copper clad steel.

In any case, it is a small savings program.

"Patience Grasshopper"
Keep stacking.

spot-zinc-1y.gif

Where do you get these awesome charts?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ardorlan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 pm

beauanderos wrote:Well... it had to happen sooner or later. Wish it had been later. Just got my source bank to okay ordering 19 boxes of halves and 20 of cents for me per week. Just set up my 4th Ryedale in the chain and have production running smoothly. Now what happens? Dump Disaster! Image Doing a dump loop, Bank of America teller confides to me that the contract with Loomis is expiring in a couple of weeks and that the new carrier will be imposing fees, either $6 or $8 a bag, on returns... which the bank intends to pass along to the merchants "after all, they have to earn money." Thanks a lot, Frank-Dodd. This means... since I'm lucky to find one half in every other box, that even if it was only $6 a bag for returns, then halves hunting has now become a losing proposition for me. This means... since I'm limited to $50 of cents (weight limit) in penny bag returns... that they will be charging more than Coinstar (12- 16%). Hell! Crap! s--t! Phooey! Rats! Image Well, guess I'll just have to take up a new hobby, maybe start going to the gym. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeMrttj8Ucg

When I quit one hobby I start another, My Fav thing about coin searching is that it cost very little money and if you can dump for free you make money, My Hobby before coin searching was electronics and ASM coding, I have about 600$ in parts from a 4 month hobby.

What Hobby are you going to go into next?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:48 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
barrytrot wrote:

Holiday weekends for starters.

Are you conjecturing or do you know this to be a fact? I.e. business actually are left in need of more coins on a holiday weekend?

My guess is that you are conjecturing and that you are incorrect. If someone runs out of coins, they don't care any more due to the minute number of transactions requiring coins.
barrytrot

Postby WizardTN » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:56 pm

barrytrot wrote:Are you conjecturing or do you know this to be a fact? I.e. business actually are left in need of more coins on a holiday weekend?

My guess is that you are conjecturing and that you are incorrect. If someone runs out of coins, they don't care any more due to the minute number of transactions requiring coins.

Methinks the fellow has never been in the retail business. :)

I used to be general mgr. of a small chain of theatres. Cant tell you the times on a holiday weekend we ran short of coinage on a monday holiday. Especially when mondays were 99cent nights.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby WizardTN » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:14 pm

ardorlan

The Kitco charts are available on their site. they chart all kinds of things.
The performance charts are on a site I linked to in this post:
http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6706

I suppose you could call me a "chartist" but it just reinforces the old saying .... "Those that do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."

That is why, looking at the 40 and 15 yr seasonal charts for silver which shows the annual end of June low very clearly and then a short runup and pullback, I am waiting till mid August to start buying again when the annual climb till christmas starts.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:05 pm

ardorlan wrote:What Hobby are you going to go into next?

Well.... I'm way overweight, try fat pig and you might get the picture. Nothing Eric can describe could make it worse than it is... tho it's not quite this bad:

I might start writing again on the blogsite I have, need to get back to the gym for sure. I won't quit searching, but I guess I'll have to scale down to maybe one halves box a week, and maybe $100 of pennies.
beauanderos

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Why don't you switch to dimes? If you can get them clear wrapped, you don't have to re-wrap or bag them; you can just turn them back in the way they are.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Pennysaved wrote:Why don't you switch to dimes? If you can get them clear wrapped, you don't have to re-wrap or bag them; you can just turn them back in the way they are.

Dang Ray, thats no good to hear. I do like pennysaved's idea. Nothing wrong with sorting less too. Don't be affraid to to the "road trip sort". Lots of silver to be had that way. Dude its just slowed, not broken. Peter makes another good point......Find another Dump. Lick your wounds over the weekend then get your lazy butt back up and solve some problems.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby WizardTN » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Ya, monday will bring a new outlook. Just take the weekend off with a few cold ones.

THEN ...
moneybags.jpg
moneybags.jpg (2.54 KiB) Viewed 498 times
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals