Thanks to the grandson who turned in his grandfather's halfs

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Thanks to the grandson who turned in his grandfather's halfs

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I went to one of my dump banks to dump my sorted dimes.

I noticed in the teller's tray some silver halves.

I asked her if I could buy them and she said that would be great because she wanted to get rid of them

I was thinking I will gladly take those :-)

I asked her if she had any other halves; she said she had another $70 face

She said she thought I would want to go through them; she said that a guy came in and had said he was turning in his grandfather's half collection

I didn't ask her how old he was; assume maybe the grandfather died and the family was cleaning out his house or something.

I didn't get any solid silver rolls BUT I found $17 face of 40% and $1 face of 90%

Pretty sweet
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Thanks to the grandson who turned in his grandfather's h

Postby Oakair » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:06 pm

Lucky!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:43 pm

I would say "Lucky you!!", but really luck had little to do with it. You cultivated a friendship with this teller and it has paid off in spades.

Failure to get educated about our money on the grandson's part does not constitute an ethical quandary on your part.

Bully for you!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I think this is an important lesson
Leave information with your Collection such as "DO NOT SELL TO BANK", most important print labels stating What it is WORTH, anyone one of us could all get killed in a car crash, your wife might know what your stash is worth but she could die in the same crash.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Of course you might end up regarded as an eccentric to be humored while alive. I which case they will go ahead and dump it for pennies on the dollar, much as widows selling their husbands firearm collection.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby schockergd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Thus why I've educated my wife, and my children will all know what things are worth.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Verbane » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:50 pm

ardorlan wrote:I think this is an important lesson
Leave information with your Collection such as "DO NOT SELL TO BANK", most important print labels stating What it is WORTH, anyone one of us could all get killed in a car crash, your wife might know what your stash is worth but she could die in the same crash.

I fell through my attic last November, got lucky and only broke a shoulder and sprained an ankle with stress fractures in the foot. Ended up on disability for two months and spent six weeks in a wheelchair... Really got me to thinking.

My parents and my brother(executor and guardian of my son) both have folders called my "RED FILE" which contain copies of my will and important documents (marriage/birth/car titles/military/insurance) and back up of family photos and additional scans of documents on disc. After my accident, I had a lot of time to think. This year I added instructions for my collections (coin/stamp/arms/antiques), which included who to contact and how to determine value. My wife has all of this information as well.

You need to have a plan for the unexpected!
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:52 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:I would say "Lucky you!!", but really luck had little to do with it. You cultivated a friendship with this teller and it has paid off in spades.

Failure to get educated about our money on the grandson's part does not constitute an ethical quandary on your part.

Bully for you!

THAT is about the best summary sentence I've seen dealing with this... and several other issues that I've seen debated on this site... like folks selling unsearched rolls on e-bay. This is EXACTLY right!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:06 am

Pennybug wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:I would say "Lucky you!!", but really luck had little to do with it. You cultivated a friendship with this teller and it has paid off in spades.

Bully for you!

THAT is about the best summary sentence I've seen dealing with this... and several other issues that I've seen debated on this site... like folks selling unsearched rolls on e-bay. This is EXACTLY right!

Thanks! :)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Good deal. Someone deserves a hershey bar......
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals