Your Fastest Sorting Method

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Your Fastest Sorting Method

Postby mortarman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:15 am

I have a hell of a time fumbling with machine rolled anything, and have been wondering how to speed up the process. Maybe line them all up end to end in a half pvc pipe and run a razor down the sides, ala MaDeuce and his nickels. Curious to hear what works best for yall.
mortarman

Re: Your Fastest Sorting Method

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:31 am

mortarman wrote:I have a hell of a time fumbling with machine rolled anything, and have been wondering how to speed up the process. Maybe line them all up end to end in a half pvc pipe and run a razor down the sides, ala MaDeuce and his nickels. Curious to hear what works best for yall.

They need to be blade split, that's for sure. For me the time spent to pull them out and line them up to do what you suggest hasn't seemed like a time advantage. I just slit them one at a time and flex them open into a bucket. I can do about 20 rolls a minute. Trash can and bucket side by side next to a table with the opened box. Grab, slit, flex and pop, wrapper in trash as I grab for the next. Blade needs to be extremely sharp, as in a razor, or what I use is a serrated blade (a spyderco), as the serrations (which I keep sharp as well) seem to do a better job for me of grabbing the wrapper and ensuring it has been damaged enough to open.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dan53 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:33 am

It depends on what your sorting. Currently, I am only sorting paper, fed wrapped halves. I call em' shotgun rolls. Thats because on the ends they are tucked in like a shot gun shell. When I re-roll, I use the same wrapper the coins came in. I take a flat head screw driver and pry open one end and use my thumb to push the coins out from the other end. After inspection, I take ten at the time and dump them back in the roll diagonally. Then you push with your thumb from the opposite end to level them out. Then fold the top.

Thats the method I use for paper, fed wrapped halves. Now for paper, fed wrapped pennies, nickel, and dimes, its a different procedure. After undoing one end of the roll with a screw driver, its to hard, if not impossible to push the coins out with your thumb. You need a sharpie (thats a writing instrument), and a damp rag. Now it doesn't have to be a sharpie, it just has to be something about 6 inches long and about the diameter of a pen or pencil. After opening one end of the roll with the screw driver, dampen one hand with the rag and grasp the roll with that hand. Then push the coins out from opposite end that was opened. For a while I was doing it without the damp rag maneuver and it was tough. Having a damp hand makes the paper sort of stick to your palm and it makes pushing the coins out easy. This is especially true on dimes.

I take from 30 minutes to one hour to sort a box of halves. Thats sorted and re-wrapped.

Remember, you heard it here folks. The soon to be famous sharpie and damp rag method of sortin' coins!
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:18 am

best way ive found for paper wrapped pennies is to take a roll in each hand and smash them together right in the center across each other

one roll will break almost in half, push the coins out of each end and grab another roll

ive also used the edge of the table or a five gallon bucket but that tended to make more of a mess :)

i almost never sort halves but the flat head screwdriver like dan said is what i do

i dont reuse the wrappers though so i can tear the whole ring off then push the coins out
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Kurr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:55 am

Bent nosed, needle nose pliers.

Grab the roll in your weak hand with pliers in strong hand.

Grab the ring of paper on the end and rip it off the bottom part of roll, by your pinky.

Use the bent end of the pliers still holding the paper ring to push coins from tube up by your thumb.

If any stick, a sharp movement/shake down into your bucket clears the roll.

Open hand to drop ring and tube in trash/fireplace.

Rinse and repeat as neccesary.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby zerocd » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Kurr wrote:Bent nosed, needle nose pliers.

Grab the roll in your weak hand with pliers in strong hand.

Grab the ring of paper on the end and rip it off the bottom part of roll, by your pinky.

Use the bent end of the pliers still holding the paper ring to push coins from tube up by your thumb.

If any stick, a sharp movement/shake down into your bucket clears the roll.

Open hand to drop ring and tube in trash/fireplace.

Rinse and repeat as neccesary.

This!

I use regular pliers though. I have used both but got used to using the corner of the flat jaws and peal in a circular movement to unwrap. Can do them in my sleep. Trash can on one side and I just lay them out in rows on a big table. I might lay out 3-4 boxes unwrapped to look at the edges. I always find more silver looking at the faces. Some 40%ers can slip past you if you don't.

0CD
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:42 pm

If I had kids I'd just "bribe" them to do it, since you're going to buy them whatever it is you bribe them with anyways. ;)
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Oakair » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Brinks plastic wrapped dimes ;)

Takes me about 3 minutes to sort a box...and I can slide out any suspect coins and slide em right back in after I'm disappointed haha

With the String rolls or other double crimped...I stick them in a Customer Wrapper and get the bottom folded, take it out and roll open the roll...and then just slide the customer roll along the paper and rewrap all the clads...Takes about 20 minutes a box to open and rewrap
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mortarman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:24 pm

The plastics are awesome for sorting fast, but I've found I'm able to dump a much higher quantity and ensure they aren't locally reintroduced into the money supply by taking bags of loose clads to BoA to ship away, while obtaining instant credit. That's the lynch pin in the whole operation, being strapped as we are.
mortarman

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals