Sorting silver war nickels

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sorting silver war nickels

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:01 am

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any idea on how to sort for war nickels? The machines that can sort out 90% and 40% just can't seem to get the war nickels. I don't know if its the mangenese that throws it off or what. I would like ideas on a fast way to sort.

I would like to be able to sort them at a pace of at least 1000 coins a minute.

Any ideas anyone? Is there something we can use to change them color or a way to pick up the mangese or ?????
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Re: Sorting silver war nickels

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:38 am

No ideas??????
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:01 am

highroller4321 wrote:No ideas??????

I cant think of any efficient way to do it at that rate. I am familiar with ryedales but not the silver sorters. Since a nickel is 75% cu, is there any way to maybe use a different planchet that is copper on a low sensitivity so it could essentially trick it to try and just pick up the copper and reject all others (and there you should have your war nicks among other things?

Not sure if thats possible but there has to be a way.
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bonanzaman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:49 pm

The limitation, as I see it, is a coin delivery system capable of that speed. There are a number of acceptors that can program for 6 or more different coins at a rate of up to about 20 coins/sec (1200/min). Just show the acceptor a handful of war nick's (or whatever)and program, and it will spit them out. I use one of these and have programmed for 4 different compositions (all pennies), and it catches em' all, but my machine's speed is limited to about 400/min.
bonanzaman

Postby wagsthadog » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi there-

Only thing I can think of is dump a couple rolls on a big table, spread them out, and look for the WN's. They typically have that dark color, which should weed out most of the obvious ones. I don't really have any machine or chemical ideas.

Otherwise, fly me out to Oregon, and I'll hand sort, 24/7 (believe me, I can do it) for half of the WN take. :P

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:17 pm

wagsthadog wrote:

Hi there-

Only thing I can think of is dump a couple rolls on a big table, spread them out, and look for the WN's. They typically have that dark color, which should weed out most of the obvious ones. I don't really have any machine or chemical ideas.

Otherwise, fly me out to Oregon, and I'll hand sort, 24/7 (believe me, I can do it) for half of the WN take. :P

wags

Now thats the spirit.......sign me up to! :P
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:48 pm

wagsthadog wrote:

Hi there-

wags

Now thats a deal wags! If highroller doesnt hire you, let me know! Does the offer still stand even if silver pulls back slightly? :P
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:35 am

bonanzaman wrote:The limitation, as I see it, is a coin delivery system capable of that speed. There are a number of acceptors that can program for 6 or more different coins at a rate of up to about 20 coins/sec (1200/min). Just show the acceptor a handful of war nick's (or whatever)and program, and it will spit them out. I use one of these and have programmed for 4 different compositions (all pennies), and it catches em' all, but my machine's speed is limited to about 400/min.

Have you tried these "acceptors" and seen them work on war nicks? I have seen several machines that can sort 90% and 40% at a rate of 4000 cpm but for some reaon they just can't do war nickels.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:37 am

TXBullion wrote:

I cant think of any efficient way to do it at that rate. I am familiar with ryedales but not the silver sorters. Since a nickel is 75% cu, is there any way to maybe use a different planchet that is copper on a low sensitivity so it could essentially trick it to try and just pick up the copper and reject all others (and there you should have your war nicks among other things?

Not sure if thats possible but there has to be a way.

Only problem with useing a different planchet is that he has to be the exact same size as a nickel because otherwise it will get the other nickels out because they are to large or small.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:39 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
wagsthadog wrote:

Hi there-

wags

Now thats the spirit.......sign me up to! :P

Wags and Rodebaugh,

24/7 lol. After the 2nd straight night you guys would be missing the war nicks cuz you would be dozing off ;)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby bonanzaman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:47 am

highroller4321 wrote:
bonanzaman wrote:The limitation, as I see it, is a coin delivery system capable of that speed. There are a number of acceptors that can program for 6 or more different coins at a rate of up to about 20 coins/sec (1200/min). Just show the acceptor a handful of war nick's (or whatever)and program, and it will spit them out. I use one of these and have programmed for 4 different compositions (all pennies), and it catches em' all, but my machine's speed is limited to about 400/min.

Have you tried these "acceptors" and seen them work on war nicks? I have seen several machines that can sort 90% and 40% at a rate of 4000 cpm but for some reaon they just can't do war nickels.

I'm about to find out, as I am in the process of installing a nickel delivery chute on my sorter..(been doing strictly pennies), I will program the acceptor for war nics, and see how it does. I'll have the results early next week.....I like the idea of machine sorting for those wars!
bonanzaman

Postby gotin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:12 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Have you tried these "acceptors" and seen them work on war nicks? I have seen several machines that can sort 90% and 40% at a rate of 4000 cpm but for some reaon they just can't do war nickels.

Can you tell which machines can sort the 40% and 90%? Are they standard use machines programmed to do that, or they are specifically built for this purpose only?
gotin

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals