These Silver Coins Aren't Prime Stacking Material

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

These Silver Coins Aren't Prime Stacking Material

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:03 pm

I happened to be looking through my 2200 page 1995 edition of the Standard Catalogue of World Coins (a great reference source) and was surprised to see there was a silver coin minted in Great Britian I'd never encountered.

These are the silver British One Pence coins that were issued beginning in 1817 and on and off since then. My book shows them minted as late as 1994, but since my book is the 1995 version, I'm not sure if those are still made.

These silver coins are about 3/8 inch in diameter and were minted in two degrees of silver fineness. One was .925 and the other was .500 fine. It's the .500 fine ones I really want explore a little more. These have a ASW of .0076 oz. Certainly the smallest silver coin I know, but maybe there are others, too.

So...just how small is .0076 oz? Comparing that to some of the more well known stackers we have the results are pretty amazing:

It would take 7.40 of these One Pence coins to equal the silver in a War Nickel

It would take over 101 of them to equal the silver weight of a Morgan silver dollar

Imagine trying to stack these beauties or rolling them for longer term storage. I've taken pills larger than these. By the way, the sterling variety of these One Pence coins weighs in at 0.0140 oz ASW. Just a little more hefty than their cousin.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals