Stack it up or branch out?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Stack it up or branch out?

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:08 pm

My question is more of an opinion question, but there are some great opinions in this forum, so I thought I'd ask. If you were in my shoes, would you keep stacking new 1/10 oz gold (AEs and Maples, mostly) or would you try to branch out and pick up some old foreign gold coins? Here is some background:

I have a small extra source of income that brings me about $30-$40 a week, which I use to buy gold. I save it up, and every month or two for the last couple of years, I'll buy a 1/10 oz AE or Maple. (I've also picked up a couple of 1/4 oz over the last couple of years too) I was just looking around the other day and it seems like, if you pay attention, you can buy some forgein gold (British 1/2 sovereigns, French and Swiss 20 francs, Mexican 5 pesos, etc.) much closer to spot than AEs or Maples or Krugerrands. I would be getting a little more gold for my money, but I like the fact that I know I'm getting exactly 1/10 oz with the new stuff (and the weight and purity are stamped on the coin). On the other hand, I do like old coins. Is there any downside that I may not be aware of with old foreign gold coins? I appreciate any opinions- should I keep stacking or branch out?
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Stack it up or branch out?

Postby Mossy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Sovereigns are the most counterfieted coin in the world. You absolutely must test them first or get them from someone you trust to have tested them.

In your shoes, I'd get a good scale and a vernier caliper, and fill a notebook with information about every gold (and maybe silver) coin out there.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Mossy wrote:Sovereigns are the most counterfieted coin in the world. You absolutely must test them first or get them from someone you trust to have tested them.

In your shoes, I'd get a good scale and a vernier caliper, and fill a notebook with information about every gold (and maybe silver) coin out there.

Thanks for the advice. I did not know that about Sovereigns- I will have to be careful and do my homework. I usually order from APMEX or Provident Metals. I assume that they test coins like that, but I guess I should check it out to make sure. I'm not rich enough to afford getting burned.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:38 am

:oops: Not rich either i've purchased a few mex 2 & 2.5 pesos an some $2.5 an $5 coins One is bent an I did not notice until I was home but all were purchased as Bullion so no big deal I hope. Also bought a few 1/10 an they are in holders an look good. Due to GS Ratio I now want silver an 90% is as good as rounds in fact if we have silver at +$200 / oz then a dime is $15.00 and we will need change for that with the dime at 2.5 grams a one Gram piece is $6.00. Stacking Nickels is looking better :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Rosco wrote::oops: Not rich either i've purchased a few mex 2 & 2.5 pesos an some $2.5 an $5 coins One is bent an I did not notice until I was home but all were purchased as Bullion so no big deal I hope. Also bought a few 1/10 an they are in holders an look good. Due to GS Ratio I now want silver an 90% is as good as rounds in fact if we have silver at +$200 / oz then a dime is $15.00 and we will need change for that with the dime at 2.5 grams a one Gram piece is $6.00. Stacking Nickels is looking better :lol:

A bent coin can be easily flattened. Put it between two lead ingots, and whack the top ingot with a heavy hammer a few times. It will be flat again.

The coin is harder than the lead so it will be undamaged. The lead will take the imprint of the coin.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Mossy wrote:Well worth getting.

http://www.fisch.co.za/buyersguide.htm

I definitely need one of those (and everything else on that site). Thanks for the link.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals