Poor Kid from my Craigs List AD

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Poor Kid from my Craigs List AD

Postby Henchman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:02 pm

So lately I been getting tons of responses for silver coin when offering 26x. This young kid calls me up and says he has a huge coin collection he wants to sell. His figures are very vague but I tell him whatever he has that is Silver 90% or 40% I will take. He gets back to me and says 50 JFK 40%s and he wants to keep the rest. I said sure no problem that will add up to $225. You should have heard the excitement in his voice. :lol: The next day he calls me back and says he has 30 or 40 Silver IKE dollars and wants to also sell them. I didn't know much about the silver IKEs till a day ago but I said sure at the time if they all check out to be silver. So I do some research and found out they have to be mint marked San Fran and were special sets yada yada. I call him back and tell him that factoid and he was like hmmmm let me check them out. Turns out they are not silvers and that he bought them from a "friend" the day before for $2 each :o

Poor guy got robbed and I was the one who had to point it out to him. I felt bad.. but at least he made out with $225 on the JFK halves :D

Glad I did my homework. Speaking of which I just invested in a loop, silver test kit and soon a strong magnet to help on big buys. I don't want to be on the wrong end of a big purchase.

Cheers,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Poor Kid from my Craigs List AD

Postby HPMBTT » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:10 pm

Glad to hear that you made out on the 90% coins. Yeah, those Ikes are only 40% when they are S-mint. Also, I believe the US mint made s-mint 1976 clad halves (Bicentennial), so keep that it mind too.

What kind of silver test kit did you buy? I also need to get a magnet as well, but haven't decided what I should get.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Wow I need to move to where you are; if I put an ad for 26x face, I would be flagged down in a minute
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:36 pm

I will admit that I was guilty of something like this a few years ago when I first started coin collecting. I once paid $70 for $50 of Ikes on ebay. This was back when silver was well below $15/ounce. I was thinking I was getting some silver. I was foolish and embarrassed later, though it was a very small price to pay for being wrong. Actually, I kind of like having them now, if only to remind me to be careful when I am buying.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals