the one that got away

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

the one that got away

Postby uthminsta » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:23 pm

My family and I went to a restaurant today, which had one of those automatic change return machines in front of the register. Only this one was turned outward, facing the customer so you could clearly see the stacks of coins inside it.

So I ask all you silver searchers... what would YOU do when you came up to the register?

Wouldn't you bend over and check the edges of the dimes and quarters?

Well I did. And about halfway through one of the dime stacks (there were probably $15 face in each stack) there it was...

A bright silver edge.

Shoot.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: the one that got away

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:57 pm

Just tell yourself that it was a Canadian dime......That will make the hurt go away.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby DirtyFingers » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm

In the days of my youth, I would have said to the person tending the till "Uhhhh if it's not too much of an imposition, could you please etc etc"....you guys know the rest of what my proposal would have been. Now that I'm older and much more civilized....nah, I'd still ask if the dime could be retrieved. It couldn't hurt to ask, could it?

Or, you could always say you really need about $15 dollars worth of dimes right now. They give you the dimes, you get the silver and the rest is thrown into one of your dumps.

Does Ag make a person crazy, or what? :shock:

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Not sure if I could have resisted the temptation not to ask for that ONE dime. Ah heck, I couldn't have.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:55 pm

The customer is always right, and I would be right asking for: THAT DIME, THAT ONE RIGHT THERE!!!
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Kind of how I felt one day, looked like an AU wheat, all I could see was the back, most likely a 14d. It was in a locked donation jar at mcdonalds that did not appear to have access. Wish I could have fished it out, Id happily put in a dollar, why do we do the things we do ? hmmm , at least there is a forum which makes us feel sane....
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jtlee321 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:03 pm

I had something similar happen about a year ago. I was at a grocery store and they had one of those automatic change returners on the end of each check out line. I always scan them when I walk by. I noticed on one the machines there was about 5 or 6 silver edges among the dimes. I asked if I could buy them and was promptly told "No". I then told my self they were all Canadian Dimes, but that didn't help, I'm a really bad liar when I lie to myself. It sucks to see the ones that get away.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals