How many dimes do you pick up at a time?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How many dimes do you pick up at a time?

Postby PolishPunisher » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Hello everyone! This is my first post. For those of you that search dimes, how many boxes do you get at a time ? I went through my first box last weekend and found one 1964. :D Luckily, it had clear plastic rolls so I just searched the rims. Thanks for the help.

-Polish

-Results for 2010-

Dimes searched: $250
Silver: 1
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Re: How many dimes do you pick up at a time?

Postby Beau » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:52 pm

I searched about 1500 dimes and did`nt find one silver.
I don`t do dimes anymore.
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:01 pm

I searched about $50 in change in my girlfriends change jar and found a 64 dime. I haven't made any bank buys before other than $150 in halves that got nothing. There is a big time searcher in my area so I haven't really tried since. I can tell because I see the same rolls at different banks marked with big black Xs..
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Corsair » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:11 pm

I have a nice set up with one of my banks. They allow me to buy a box of dimes, and two weeks later, trade it in, unopened, for a new box. I know I could do more, but it's just a good break from pennies. And there's something really great about finding silver.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 pm

I ask for a box. One bank has $250 in a sealed box, another has $500 in a sealed bag. I take the full amount, whichever that is. I think I average 1 silver dime per box/bag. Some skunks. A few 2 per. Average about 1 per unit sorted. It is nice to add some different denominations of silver. Also, I have found my 2 oldest coins, separately, among the dimes. An 1880 very worn, and an 1856 "love coin" in very good condition. It doesn't cost anything but time, and the time to edge sort dimes either in plastic or in paper wrappers is very little. I look closely at anything that I can't see the copper ring on. I don't want to over look a very old coin that is too dirty for the silver edge to stand out.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:59 am

I don't normally pick up dimes to sort.. just take whatever my source banks have in CWR that they want to get rid of. Saturday one of them had $750 in dimes. I think I got 2 or 3 silvers out of it. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:01 am

Ive been trying to pick up 2 boxes at a time. I usually ask at the banks that won't order halves for me. I just started last Thursday and have already found 15 silver dimes. I just make sure to ask for the bank plastic wrapped rolls so that I can look at them easily.

The one that is nice about dimes is that I don't have to re-wrap many of them and they are easier to dump.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Heartkill » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:07 pm

I've only been doing CWR dimes recently. I average 1-2 silver per $250, although the other day I pulled a record 5, including my first Mercury, out of only $200. Every time I've done boxes of BWR I get skunked, so I continue to chip away with hand rolled.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby hirbonzig » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:14 pm

I'll pick up 3-6 boxes from 2 or 3 banks and average 1 to 3 silvers per box.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby killerken53 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 am

I get the $1000 bags off of my local credit union's coin counter, usually 1 per week. I get 8-10 dimes per bag usually. I think my worst has been 5 and my best 18.
killerken53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby thedude » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:27 pm

$250 - just picked up a box!
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.
thedude
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:55 pm

I picked up 2 boxes today and $200 additional plastic rolls and found a total of 5

I found my 1st Mercury a 1942

I have never had luck with customer wrapped rolls but have been finding silver in banked wrapped plastic rolls.

I just started last week and have found 22 silver 90% dimes.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PolishPunisher » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I plan on trying to get a box or two from a couple of banks tomorrow.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals