Prime ROLL, 64 Proof Kennedy's!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Prime ROLL, 64 Proof Kennedy's!!

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:05 pm

you only got an hour an half left, this is gonna go for over 40X's and is worth it, i just aint got the FRN's,
or i wouldnt even be posting this (lol)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360397277338?ss ... 1426.l2649
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Prime ROLL, 64 Proof Kennedy's!!

Postby hags » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:50 pm

neilgin1 wrote:you only got an hour an half left, this is gonna go for over 40X's and is worth it, i just aint got the FRN's,

Neil,

I follow your argument why the 64 Kennedy is king...but why do you look at proof coins? They attract silver bargain hunters at first, but then the collectors take over....especially after 1 bid is placed by someone. The "varsity" collectors search Ebay for auctions that have at least 1 bid, so to eliminate those crazy buy-it-now auctions on collector coins, and to find collectibles that at least one other person classifies as collectible ...
Silver proof coins don't trade relative to spot silver.....collectors appraise them by their mintage quantity....the final price of that roll has little to do with the silver value it contains. Check out any proof silver set and you'll never find a deal compared to spot......It's not a whole new tier of buyer....your messin' with collectors....they be deep pockets and buying for a whole different reason.

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:23 am

hags wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:you only got an hour an half left, this is gonna go for over 40X's and is worth it, i just aint got the FRN's,

Neil,

I follow your argument why the 64 Kennedy is king...but why do you look at proof coins? They attract silver bargain hunters at first, but then the collectors take over....especially after 1 bid is placed by someone. The "varsity" collectors search Ebay for auctions that have at least 1 bid, so to eliminate those crazy buy-it-now auctions on collector coins, and to find collectibles that at least one other person classifies as collectible ...
Silver proof coins don't trade relative to spot silver.....collectors appraise them by their mintage quantity....the final price of that roll has little to do with the silver value it contains. Check out any proof silver set and you'll never find a deal compared to spot......It's not a whole new tier of buyer....your messin' with collectors....they be deep pockets and buying for a whole different reason.

hags

hags, i do appreciate the counsel,. and i might be dumb, but i'm not stupid. i got a reason for liking proofs. this roll i backed off of. it went for 38X's....and in the whole scheme of things, that aint a bad price. i had the frns, but i didnt have the frns, if you know what i'm saying. just as there's a diff between instrinsic value collectors, and nuismatic collectors, i think that line is starting to blur, if you look at quotes, PGCS for example, nusimatic premiums are disaapearing. now when the SHTF, whats that going to look like?. a kind of mad max/waterworld trip?...i dont think so, so i do half and half with my limited means...there's other stuff a guy has to stack as well. the Au is meant to secure a means of production...something, whatever...what do people need?...meat, grain, water, wood, intoxicants...and also defensive items, but you dont deal in those, unless you got a vest, and about 6 other guys in biz with you. the way i see it, no matter what, good looking silver coins will always command a premium.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:11 am

How is that roll worth that much over melt?

You think it should be worth more than comparable weight in ASEs? That's crazy.

I've bought a lot of proof sets and checking my notes the MOST I paid over spot (which includes a proof cent and proof nickel) is 20%, which would give you under 28x. 38x? That's plain idiotic.

There is very little numismatic value in a proof coin that isn't high grade and/or CAM/DCAM so you don't make anything there.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:31 am

neilgin1 wrote: nusimatic premiums are disaapearing. now when the SHTF, whats that going to look like?. .

I have asked this question before. But I have always thought if the economy collapses I would much rather own 10 rolls of Morgans worth $5,000.00 than one coin that had a lot of numismatic value and was worth $5,000.00. I think I will have a lot more bartering power with 200 silver coins rather than one silver coin. After the economy collapses that single coin that was worth $5,000.00 might not be worth much.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:38 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
neilgin1 wrote: nusimatic premiums are disaapearing. now when the SHTF, whats that going to look like?. .

I have asked this question before. But I have always thought if the economy collapses I would much rather own 10 rolls of Morgans worth $5,000.00 than one coin that had a lot of numismatic value and was worth $5,000.00. I think I will have a lot more bartering power with 200 silver coins rather than one silver coin. After the economy collapses that single coin that was worth $5,000.00 might not be worth much.

If it comes to that I intend to try to accumulate such coins... that value might return later.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby morris14ccm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:48 pm

NDFarmer wrote:

Agreed. Plus, your average person isn't going to believe it is (or was) worth $5k.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals