Junk silver on eBay at 20x face

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Junk silver on eBay at 20x face

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:51 pm

Bidding on eBay has been more tame this week so now's a good time to look for deals on silver. A lot of the 90% junk silver is going for less than 25x face. Some way less. I made two nice pickups at closer to 20x face.

Yesterday: 4 silver Washington quarters ($1 face) for a total of $20.57 shipped.

Today: Even better - 7 coins ($1 face) for a total of $20.41 shipped. But these weren't your everyday junk silver. Yeah they were slicks but I got 2 Seated Liberty quarters, 4 Seated Liberty dimes, and 1 Barber dime. It's a little variety to add to my stack.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Junk silver on eBay at 20x face

Postby dan53 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:07 am

I once bought 100 barber dimes that were well worn, with a lot of slicks. I had calculated that I could sell them for a modest profit. I take them to the guy I sell to and he weighs them. They have the weight of 95 unc silver dimes. Because of the lost weight on the coins, all I did was break even.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Junk silver on eBay at 20x face

Postby camtender » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:15 am

dan53 wrote:I once bought 100 barber dimes that were well worn, with a lot of slicks. I had calculated that I could sell them for a modest profit. I take them to the guy I sell to and he weighs them. They have the weight of 95 unc silver dimes. Because of the lost weight on the coins, all I did was break even.

Great point, I have said this before when people try to trade me silver. There is always material attrition on well circulated coins, but the sellers never seem to comprehend this. If I am trading in silver, I always want a big discount on slick coins, because it is hard to tell with out a scale.
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals