do YOU have a PM purification business?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

do YOU have a PM purification business?

Postby uthminsta » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:07 pm

I know a couple of our members have businesses which offer silver purification services. Maybe that's not even the right term. But who all is out there that is doing this on a professional level?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: do YOU have a PM purification business?

Postby Robarons » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Smelt or Refining silver? Like taking forms of low quality purity silver into fine silver- for example 40% halves to .999 silver?

It sounds like a solid business- especially in times of sharp drops or increases. When silver tanked from $21 to $9 in 2008 1000 oz bars near spot were every where but 1 oz 999 bars were +$5 over in some cases. If you can make .999 bars in small sizes by 'purification' or larger bars there is money to be made
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:08 pm

I mean who does anything like this. Purification, smelting, casting... anyone who melts precious metal and resells it. I thought it would be nice to see a thread that showcased and explained the services offered from within this group.
uthminsta

Postby uthminsta » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:29 am

Hey! What gives? Is everyone too modest? Well, then someone who has DONE BUSINESS WITH these modest gentlemen, please speak up! Has anyone sent in junk silver or gold to be refined? Do you own a bar/ingot/round/slab/chunk that was created by someone in this group?
uthminsta

Postby rexmerdinus » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:08 pm

I've recently been considering getting into gold refining. Pretty involved process, not sure if I'm diving in or not! goldrefiningforum.com has some good info on refining PM's
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Market Harmony does this. I just recently sold him some scrap but not to get it back as bullion or anything. He makes bars though as well with some of it at least.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Doesn't Kurr do this as well? Rodebaugh is just starting to get into it. He makes some cool looking 1 oz. loafs.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals