What if.....

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What if.....

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:55 pm

What if you are driving back from a coin pick up at a bank and have a backseat with quite a few boxes of coins and get pulled over by a police car? If the police officer notices the coins and asks you why you have them, what do you tell him? Suppose it goes further than that and you get pulled over and for some reason the police find a bank envelope with thousand of dollars from coin dump, or meant for a coin purchase? One thing that bothers me is that if I ever get pulled over and the police decide to search my car, how do I know that having alot of money in cash or coins will not be labeled suspect and possibly be seized as possible evidence for controlled substance transactions? Seriously. I am thinking things are getting so wound up tight for what municipalities need for revenue that anything is up for the taking as long as they think they can get away with it.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What if.....

Postby morris14ccm » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Don't let them search your car.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TXBullion » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Tell them it's fake.
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Maybe I am getting sensitized more about the news of people getting their cars searched with flimsy cause.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:14 am

If your worried about the popo busting you for a bag of halves.......you need help. Serious help.

Anyway, look at this youtube channel for some tips.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FlexYourRights
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:01 am

Yeah, I always have a gram scale and lots of cash, change, and weapons in my truck! I am not doing anything wrong so they are welcome to question me. They will soon find that they have something better to do. But around here a sober, clean shaven white dude with a late model pick up truck does not tend to attract very much police attention. I can't figure it out, but for some reason they almost refuse to bother with me no matter how fast I drive lately.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 am

Cover the coin bags with a blanket and don't allow them to search.
You should probably worry more about thieves than the police.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:18 am

You could start by not speeding :) And getting receipts for whatever you carry if you're that worried about it. Or you could refuse the search. And now even if they're putting the bracelets on you, it's iffy whether they have the legal right to perform a search incident to arrest--I'd have to look up the court case, but it boils down to the offense they're arresting you for and whether there is evidence of it in the vehicle--for example they might be able to search the cab of the vehicle, but not the trunk because you didn't have immediate access to it while you were driving. I kinda have to keep up on this stuff because I'm a Border Patrol Agent in real life.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Beau » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:56 pm

BORDER PATROL WOW
I`am a Mexican with no papers, but just got paid in 100 dollar bills and I`am driving drunk.
is that worse than 50 cent pieces? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:35 pm

If the police ever brought boxes of coins to court with the claim it's drug money, the judge would probably fall over, laughing. The DA knows this and would never bring the charges. More likely, the cops would call the Secret Service, Treasury, or some such agency, and try to turn it over to them, after which what happens would be the result of federal, bureaucratic whim.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Beau wrote:.
BORDER PATROL WOW
I`am a Mexican with no papers, but just got paid in 100 dollar bills and I`am driving drunk.

So... you work for Thogey then? :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Beau » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:03 pm

beauanderos wrote:
BORDER PATROL WOW

YEP I`am his #1 helper.
the 3 hundred dollar bills he paid me was for all this year.
he`s kinda cheap, but don`t tell him I sad that. :lol: :lol:

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:22 pm

NHsorter wrote:Yeah, I always have a gram scale and lots of cash, change, and weapons in my truck! I am not doing anything wrong so they are welcome to question me. They will soon find that they have something better to do. But around here a sober, clean shaven white dude with a late model pick up truck does not tend to attract very much police attention. I can't figure it out, but for some reason they almost refuse to bother with me no matter how fast I drive lately.

Dude that's so funny. I didn't realize how that looks but I too, when doing coin deals have a gram scale a couple grand and a loaded weapon in my truck. :o
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby knibloe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:55 pm

I don't think that I would have a problem explaining what they are for. I have several banks on speed dial. Many of the tellers know me by name and others would certainly vouch for me as the guy who sorts coins.

Also, I always have my laptop with me. I could log onto this site and give them an education. Who knows, we might get a few new recruits.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:57 pm

tell them tocall the bank
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Thogey wrote:
NHsorter wrote:Yeah, I always have a gram scale and lots of cash, change, and weapons in my truck! I am not doing anything wrong so they are welcome to question me. They will soon find that they have something better to do. But around here a sober, clean shaven white dude with a late model pick up truck does not tend to attract very much police attention. I can't figure it out, but for some reason they almost refuse to bother with me no matter how fast I drive lately.

Dude that's so funny. I didn't realize how that looks but I too, when doing coin deals have a gram scale a couple grand and a loaded weapon in my truck. :o

Yes, this combination of items would be suspicious. I strive to be discreet about my PM dealings. I would rather not have a cop (or anyone) know. It's just not good protocol IMO... yet for some reason I am compelled to post on RC. Anyway... So I think that I would try to be vague if questioned. I understand that will probably lead to them being even more suspicious. Eventually though, if I had to offer them a bunch of info such as what has been posted above, I would be cleared. They can check everything that they want. There is nothing to find. So really, there is nothing to worry about.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ffej » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Try driving a cargo van with no windows, candy, duct tape, and a gun, going thru a school zone at 15mph ( the posted speed ).... I own a vending company....
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:31 pm

ffej wrote:Try driving a cargo van with no windows, candy, duct tape, and a gun, going thru a school zone at 15mph ( the posted speed ).... I own a vending company....

Now, dude, that is funny! I just about peed on myself! :lol:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:26 pm

ffej wrote:Try driving a cargo van with no windows, candy, duct tape, and a gun, going thru a school zone at 15mph ( the posted speed ).... I own a vending company....

Yup. Highlights what I've often said. "Know enough about anyone and you can come up with a crime to frame them for. And it'd be less work than finding a real criminal."
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Beau wrote:
beauanderos wrote:
BORDER PATROL WOW

YEP I`am his #1 helper.
the 3 hundred dollar bills he paid me was for all this year.
he`s kinda cheap, but don`t tell him I sad that. :lol: :lol:

Not a whole lot of Mexicans up here on the Canadian border. But still more than you might think :)
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:12 pm

I always put my boxes in the trunk because I usually make multiple stops. I never get stopped by the police because I'm white and I obey the traffic laws.

Reminds me of something I did 25 years ago when I was young (and stupid). My friend and I were stopped for speeding. We were on our way to a gun range. We had an AK-47, 2-AR-15's, a 12 and 20 gauge shotgun, 3 hi cal pistols and about 1000 rounds of ammo in the back seat covered with a white sheet. All the mags were full and the guns were loaded. After 10 minutes of sweating our asses off, the cop walked back to my car, handed me my licence and let me off with a warning. He did not notice anything thank god. It was a pre 9/11 world, but still it was a very close call.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:11 am

rexmerdinus wrote: Not a whole lot of Mexicans up here on the Canadian border. But still more than you might think :)

Whole bunch of them up around Mt Vernon (about an hour north of Seattle).
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I always put my boxes in the trunk because I usually make multiple stops. I never get stopped by the police because I'm white and I obey the traffic laws.

Reminds me of something I did 25 years ago when I was young (and stupid). My friend and I were stopped for speeding. We were on our way to a gun range. We had an AK-47, 2-AR-15's, a 12 and 20 gauge shotgun, 3 hi cal pistols and about 1000 rounds of ammo in the back seat covered with a white sheet. All the mags were full and the guns were loaded. After 10 minutes of sweating our asses off, the cop walked back to my car, handed me my licence and let me off with a warning. He did not notice anything thank god. It was a pre 9/11 world, but still it was a very close call.

thats the imperative words, "pre-9/11"...go the way of the coyote, in everything. dont be a joiner, a screamer, a zealot, just glide thru the night, confident in the Favor of the Lord.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals