Gold/Silver sell off

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold/Silver sell off

Postby theo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:17 am

Gold and silver are both down around 3% this morning with the dollar up over 1%, which could mean several things.

1. It could be another very short-term (meaning 2 hours) sell off that is immediately siezed upon by bargain hunters.

2. It could be the start of a longer pull back to $20 (and about $1270) that many have been predicting.

3. It probably means that we'll have wait a bit longer for $30 silver. I've read that if silver breaks $25, it will quickly run to $30. However, there seems strong resistance at $25.

Any thoughts?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Gold/Silver sell off

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 am

agree.

some sort of pullback is inevitable, surprised its taken this long.

pullbacks are especially likely at the end of the month as you near options expiration.

guy named Zulaf on King World News is expecting a severe pullback in everything very soon. its plausible but i don't really know.

if you look at a chart of the pm's from the 70's the pullbacks were more frequent and severe than we have experienced so far. of course now you have some big buyers putting a floor under the market so i'm not sure how analogous the 70s are anymore.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:50 am

A Chinese rate hike is affecting all assets, including equities and commodities. It will blow over soon enough and equilibrium will support prices. If you can buy a sharp dip, then you might come out ahead. In the long run and grand scheme of things, today's action and the action in the following weeks will be but a blip on the chart.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Devil Soundwave » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:36 am

So for those of us not quite so well versed in how all the factors affect things, the general concensus is "keep buying" right?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:44 am

Yes, keep buying. I'm rolling the dice and delaying a purchase one day, but up or down I'll purchase tomorrow.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:07 am

I think it might drop some more over the week, but am betting that by the end of the year it is past these highs. Precious metals are bull charging until there is a real economic recovery, which is years away.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:24 pm

yes keep buying.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Wow, down $36/$1 today. Nice correction to accumulate on.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:25 pm

It went up really sharply - this will probably be a multi-day sell-off but the trend hasn't changed.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 pm

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:47 pm

beauanderos wrote:Image

Can some here with authority please revoke Ray's smiley privileges?

By the way Ray what the hell is this supposed to mean. Your just in physical Ag right. You're not messing with options are you?

These day to day swings are no big deal to you are they?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Ardent Listener » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Dollar is up because other countries are falling all over themselves trying to weaken their currencies against it. To encourage their exports of course. It's a race to the bottom and by golly, I think they will all get there!

Who was saying that the dollar couldn't go back up? This game isn't even at half-time yet.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby fb101 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:45 pm

I've been watching for bargains in SLV put options. There were some good ones but I was too slow.
pullback to 19 I expect.
Long term this is nothing.
I think keep buying AG and AU and I still think we touch $30 by EOY.

Oh, yeah news is Geithner wants a strong dollar.
He's using a loud speaker so no-one will hear the presses running at full speed while he says that.
fb101

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 am

I bought a bunch of silver eagles tonight.. the price was right. So this should help drive the price down tomorrow for you other guys. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby geewhzz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am

^Thanks haha :P

I'm with blackrabbit, holding off today for hope tomorrow, might be wrong, might not be. Wish I had a crystal ball
geewhzz

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:27 am

Thogey wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Image

Can some here with authority please revoke Ray's smiley privileges?

By the way Ray what the hell is this supposed to mean. Your just in physical Ag right. You're not messing with options are you?

These day to day swings are no big deal to you are they?

Ahhahahahahh. :lol: you tell him Eric.

I think Ray has metal and paper silver (mining stocks not contracts).......If they made pizza silver he would hold that too.

mmmmmmm.....pizza silver
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Beau » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 am

I know gold and silver are up this morning, but I do expect a sharp drop off.
I think the prices we have seen lately can NOT hold, expect silver and gold to drop quickly when this happens. the 10/20/10 @ $1.01 was just a Dip compared to where it will go soon.
if the bottom falls out, I do expect lots of deals here and Ebay, and everywhere else.
expect $2 to $3. dip soon.
the guy at the coin shop said if this happens he would be out of business, I said I will help you lock up soon. coin shops have to average everthing out where they can stay in business, but this guy is running low on casn flow.

so I expect to buy soon when the hard downturn starts to come. lower prices mean Buy but where do you buy with a falling market?
I have read where they expect a $5 to $7 dollar drop soon.

I guess we will have to wait and see but it could be painful to some.
this is not maniplulation just facts. if we had a Prez that could fix things this would not have happened, he has screwed everything now Gold and Silver.
he is not through with the plan buy a long shot.
my opinion.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:11 pm

i think what you say is possible but the last time prices dropped a lot, premiums skyrocketed and then you could not get supply. premiums on ASE's were $4.50. junk was +$2. I waited 6 months for an order from NWT Mint.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Gee... Another one day selloff. :shock:

Stay BULLISH and BUY PM on ALL THE DIPS. :mrgreen: Don't wait for a big selloff because the FED policy is to cheapen the dollar by printing mountains of fiat. 8-) That's the game plan - they want to create INFLATION by PRINTING FIAT. PMs have to go up as our currency, and other currencies of the world, are debased by these criminals....

BUY, BUY, BUY !!!! :ugeek:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I bought a bunch of silver eagles tonight.. the price was right. So this should help drive the price down tomorrow for you other guys. :mrgreen:

when HCBTT uses the word "bunch" makes me wonder :shock: Was it that pallet that was on eBay? or does that not qualify as a "bunch". :mrgreen:
TXBullion

Postby natsb88 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:43 pm

TXBullion wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I bought a bunch of silver eagles tonight.. the price was right. So this should help drive the price down tomorrow for you other guys. :mrgreen:

when HCBTT uses the word "bunch" makes me wonder :shock: Was it that pallet that was on eBay? or does that not qualify as a "bunch". :mrgreen:

You know he doesn't do anything unless it's "By The Ton" :lol:
natsb88

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Thursday sell off....Thoughts....opinions...?

Should we check on Ray to make sure he is OK?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Ardent Listener » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Thursday sell off....Thoughts....opinions...?

Should we check on Ray to make sure he is OK?

Up and down, down and up. This is just a reminder that no precious metal only continues to go up without a correction at some point. Those who believed that somehow this time was going to be different were only kidding themselves. Long term silver investing fundamentals remains bullish, but short term we may see $ 20-21 silver before we see $25 again.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby aristobolus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:47 am

I am no expert on the economy, but it seems to me that quantitative easing will provide short term relief for the dollar. This may lead to a pullback for PM. Thus, should we wait a bit, and buy when lower over the next few months? Ultimately, the bottom will fall out in a year or two; especially when the Healthcare Law kicks in.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:37 am

I think we will see much lower silver, like 17-20 within days. and within 2-3 weeks, back into 23-27. Yeah wide ranges, i picked. Im far from an expert. But patterns like that, seem built into the silver market, since ive followed it anyway......
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals