Which is the better buy?....

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Which is the better buy?....

Postby pennypicker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:28 pm

With spot silver currently at $31 I decided to give my local coin shop a call to get a couple sell prices on ASE's & Peace dollars. I like both forms of silver because of their large size and eye appeal. They are asking $35 for ASE's (spot + $4 premium) and $25.25 for average circulated Peace dollars.

I know with Peace dollars you are paying a slight numismatic premium above bullion but I have a problem with giving up a $4 premium on ASE's.

For (long-term) investment purposes does either of these two options appear to be the better buy or are they pretty much on par with each other?

P.S. With respect to the Peace Dollars the guys at the coin shop are very customer service oriented and they allow me to cherry pick and grab the nicest looking ones--sometimes I find XF+'s. ;)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Which is the better buy?....

Postby baggerman » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Personally I wouldn't pay a $4 premium for ASEs but at a little over a buck over melt for the peace dollars I would definately buy some if I could find some around here fro that price.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:19 pm

I would grab the Peace dollars.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:49 pm

baggerman wrote:Personally I wouldn't pay a $4 premium for ASEs but at a little over a buck over melt for the peace dollars I would definately buy some if I could find some around here fro that price.

Dick, where are you when I'm trying to sell mine? :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:59 pm

baggerman wrote:Personally I wouldn't pay a $4 premium for ASEs but at a little over a buck over melt for the peace dollars I would definately buy some if I could find some around here fro that price.

:lol: This is funny. I'm the very opposite. With silver slapped down to $31, an ASE is STILL nearly a $40 piece to me. Same for maples, phils, etc. etc. From my perspective, a $35 ASE is a pretty decent deal.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby strikeaxe » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:30 pm

I was having the same problem in my area coin shop was wanting $39.00 per ASE. I decided that he can keep them at that price I will wait for some less expensive coins to come my way.
America has become the NO DEPOSIT NO RETURN country.
strikeaxe
Penny Sorter Member

Postby marine70 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Well I will be buying some ASE's on Monday for $35, and I guess i'm happy to do so. When silver gets back up to fifty an ounce I will be glad I did.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals