How popular are certain silver rounds?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How popular are certain silver rounds?

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:37 am

There is a near plethora of online bullion dealers. The lower premiums for generic type rounds is the key IMHO. So far, it looks like the in-house silver bars that dealers offer -ie- minted with their company name or a well-known name, like Silvertowne, are more appealing to the eye. Some rounds and bars are too gaudy for me. Is that how this works though? The bars and rounds that liquidate at the highest prices down the road are generally ones that most recognize? The buffalo/Indian head round looks like the one that appears on most dealers' sites. Could you say that is one of the most popular? I also like the design of the walking liberty rounds:

http://www.coin-rare.com/silver-rounds- ... ign-1.aspx
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: How popular are certain silver rounds?

Postby baggerman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:56 am

IMO silver is silver as long as it is hallmarked. Some rounds like Englehard Prospectors do carry a premium over other rounds.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 pm

I agree that silver is silver. Personally I prefer to obtain silver in the form of ASE's and Peace dollars. Some forms carry a larger premium than others so I would recommend buying silver in the form that appeals to you and do your homework so that you don't overpay on those premiums. Example:

My local coin shop charges $2.10 over spot for generic 1 oz silver rounds and they buy them back for $.50 under spot. So there is a $2.60 spread on generic rounds. They sell the nicer looking ASE's (1 oz Walking Liberty Silver Dollar rounds) for $4 an ounce over spot and they buy them back for $1 over spot. So there is a $3 spread on these very popular ASE's.

So if your looking to get the most silver for your dollar then choose the generic silver rounds. However I much prefer the look of the ASE's and with just a $.40 cent higher spread I will take the ASE everytime--buy that's just me. :)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:38 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:There is a near plethora of online bullion dealers. The lower premiums for generic type rounds is the key IMHO. So far, it looks like the in-house silver bars that dealers offer -ie- minted with their company name or a well-known name, like Silvertowne, are more appealing to the eye. Some rounds and bars are too gaudy for me. Is that how this works though? The bars and rounds that liquidate at the highest prices down the road are generally ones that most recognize? The buffalo/Indian head round looks like the one that appears on most dealers' sites. Could you say that is one of the most popular? I also like the design of the walking liberty rounds:

http://www.coin-rare.com/silver-rounds- ... ign-1.aspx

this is basically accurate.

silver is silver but there are not a lot of buyers for santa claus rounds.

imho a fair price for a silver round produced by an outfit y'ou've heard of before is $1 over spot.

The indian head/buffalo rounds are produced or can be bought from golden state mint - hit their site direct, sometimes they are cheaper. they make some of rounds that have numi designs like WL and St. Gaudens.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:49 pm

I'd like to get some Scottsdale Omnia rounds (Lion head), but $3 over spot is a bit high, imo. APMEX industrial is more my taste.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby njoElec » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm a sucker for Apmex, Silvertowne and NWTM mint bars. I favor Silvertowne the most out of my three favorites!
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby jasmatk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:50 pm

my coin shop charges me no premium on generic rounds and he considers prospectors,jm,and anything else to be generic. if its a eagle,maple,kook,ect he charges me a premium,so basiclly if its not govt issue its generic to him.but i have been buying for awhile and built a relationship.

Buy what makes you happy its all gonna have resale value,silver is silver it all stacks the same.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm

i found an old receipt recently where i paid 1.89 premium on ASE's back when silver was $7. at first blush, that sounds like a bargain but in retrospect i would have been better buying 90%.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hejira11 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:14 pm

I made the mistake of falling in love with the Kookaburras. -Anything from The Perth Mint, actually. So, I stack generic rounds and bars, and buy and flip the newest "MUST HAVE" coins. I actively collect the Kooks as a hobby. I imagine I will, one day, feel like that kid on a farm who realizes between bites why he was warned to NEVER NAME THE CHICKENS! :D
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver_Stampede » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:17 pm

I know those indian head silver rounds are popular, but from what I have noticed they are really low quality. I have a couple tubes of them but If i ever sell they will be first to go. I much prefer the walking liberty or morgan rounds, and my personal favorite is the incuse indian rounds that provident metals has. In reality though if you are holding generic rounds I think the only ones you will get a premium for are JM and engelhard. I try to have a nice balance between generics and government issue as well.
"There comes a time in every man's life when he must hoard precious metals..."
Silver_Stampede

Postby Treetop » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:00 pm

hejira11 wrote:I made the mistake of falling in love with the Kookaburras. -Anything from The Perth Mint, actually. So, I stack generic rounds and bars, and buy and flip the newest "MUST HAVE" coins. I actively collect the Kooks as a hobby. I imagine I will, one day, feel like that kid on a farm who realizes between bites why he was warned to NEVER NAME THE CHICKENS! :D

:lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 pm

For me, if it's not government issue, I'm not terribly interested. A lot of people like generic, and they're right, it's the cheapest - ounce for ounce. Great business decision. But as far as my hobby goes, I'm into Eagles first and foremost, followed by the rest of the various gov't issue coins. Should I come across a deal that's too good to turn down for generic rounds, I will get them, but will trade them away for what I like. To me there's an enjoyment factor that has to be accounted for.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Beau » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:19 pm

justj2k78 wrote:For me, if it's not government issue, I'm not terribly interested. A lot of people like generic, and they're right, it's the cheapest - ounce for ounce. Great business decision. But as far as my hobby goes, I'm into Eagles first and foremost, followed by the rest of the various gov't issue coins. Should I come across a deal that's too good to turn down for generic rounds, I will get them, but will trade them away for what I like. To me there's an enjoyment factor that has to be accounted for.

justj2K78,
man you have come a long way in a short time.
I`am proud of you!

ALL,
I know that is the way he did it in the post above.

GOOD LUCK Beau

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:32 am

Silver_Stampede wrote:I know those indian head silver rounds are popular, but from what I have noticed they are really low quality. I have a couple tubes of them but If i ever sell they will be first to go. I much prefer the walking liberty or morgan rounds, and my personal favorite is the incuse indian rounds that provident metals has. In reality though if you are holding generic rounds I think the only ones you will get a premium for are JM and engelhard. I try to have a nice balance between generics and government issue as well.

I have never had an issue with their quality.

i think its fair to get a buck over spot for any bullion that is stamped and in 1 oz size.

if its a known mint, its more liquid.

it its a nice design, like a morgan or st. gaudens, its more liquid.

1 oz bars are a little less common than rounds and are more likely to garner the buck premium even if generic.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:46 am

One of the biggest problems for generic rounds is some have been shown to be slightly under weight. A YouTube video talked about it at one point. Also, if not marked you don't know who made them.

I get the point that silver is silver and if I am buying cheap enough I'll agree to that......

If I had my choice I will always pick bars over rounds and then in I have to go rounds you can't go wrong with Engelhard!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby newton7 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 am

I have been all over the place. I like mint style rounds. Eagles are nice but pricey. In my area I have to pay between 1.50 and 2 dollars over to get generic rounds and 3.50 to 5 for Eagles. Bars are the same 1.50 to to 2 as well. The best deal is 100oz bars for .75 over but who has that much laying around?

Personally I like 10oz bars then 1 oz rounds. Both are easy to move and a decent size to handle.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:58 am

Copper Catcher wrote:If I had my choice I will always pick bars over rounds and then in I have to go rounds you can't go wrong with Engelhard!

well, if you spend a lot for the engelhardt premium, there is no guarantee you will get it back and every dollar you spend on premium is one less FRN spent on silver.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby melhen26 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Imo you have different types of silver rounds and bars:
legal tender: a coin minted and backed by a country and their government,typically with a face value. Ie,ase,cml.libertad
comex approved, Ie,Engelhard ad JM
Ira acceptable, not sure which ones all are, but GSM is
vintage, no longer produced,there are many of these
commonly produced, silvertown ect..
holiday rounds. good for a very limited time of year
I try and get weight, purity and mintmark, when I'm buying ag.
melhen26

Postby rickygee » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:35 pm

I like Eagle, Maple Leaf or Philharmonic government minted coins. You can usually find Phils priced at a lower premium than the other two. Also the edge of the Phiharmonic is not reeded and the design, obverse and reverse, are very nice.

With the Maple you get Queenie on the ob, but a very nice reverse, leaf or wildlife.

Eagles have the highest premium, but Miss Liberty walking toward the sunrise is my favorite all time favorite coin design. Thank you Adolf Weinman!

I
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals