Thread about selling/buying silver in private

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Thread about selling/buying silver in private

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:41 am

I poached this thread from another forum:

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php? ... 28&t=97836

I was not very glad to hear that buying off craigslist could get you in the pokey.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Thread about selling/buying silver in private

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:55 am

link broken.... what's the lowdown?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby RGJohn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 am

JerrySpringer wrote:I poached this thread from another forum:

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php? ... 28&t=97836

I was not very glad to hear that buying off craigslist could get you in the pokey.

You are referencing another thread on another site. Somebody there speaks of the dangers of buying stolen property and that the buyer could be held responsible. Craigslist is not mentioned.
RGJohn

Postby texcollex » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:19 am

It shouldn't be a risk to your freedom if you buy something in good faith from a publicly advertized source. You would have to have knowledge of or reasonable suspicion that it was stolen for them to charge you. I saw a news story where the police were running a sting to retrieve stolen goods being sold on craigslist. They showed them recovering several items from sellers but none of these were charged because they found that they had bought them recently from other sellers on craigslist.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:42 am

Without referencing the above-mentioned link, common sense tells you that unless you purchase from a reputable source, even though you might not be penalized by being charged with having committed some form of crime... that if stolen goods are traced to you, you could be subject to their confiscation without any form of compensation, either while they are being held as evidence, or returned to their rightful owner. I would imagine that it would be fairly hard for anyone to prove that junk silver of any amount or type which you had already commingled with your own larger stash, were the identical "hot" coins that you had unwittingly purchased with innocent intent. Slabbed items, or those that had been photographed, would make a prosecutors/DA's job easier. Of far greater danger than this threat, tho... what if you are someone who falls suspect to dealing with large amounts of cash frequently, and you have no reportable income? RICO laws could cause you to lose your entire stash.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:11 pm

RGJohn wrote:You are referencing another thread on another site. Somebody there speaks of the dangers of buying stolen property and that the buyer could be held responsible. Craigslist is not mentioned.

Towards the very end of thread there:

"There are many folks who buy pms as a business without following the rules.Its extremely lucrative and many on these forums do it and may disagree with my precautions. However I know of 2 folks in my state who went to jail for advertising and buying using craigslist and they bought from the wrong people. You may never get caught, or may only get slapped on the wrist, but keep in mind what the penalties for committing a felony are before you make the decision to start buying."
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals