First American gold coin sells for 7+ Million

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

First American gold coin sells for 7+ Million

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:33 pm

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/9396001-418/rare-1787-gold-coin-fetches-74-million.html

"An exceedingly rare 1787 gold Brasher doubloon has been sold for $7.4 million, one of the highest prices ever paid for a gold coin.

Blanchard and Co., the New Orleans-based coin and precious metals company that brokered the deal, said the doubloon was purchased by a Wall Street investment firm. Identities of the buyer and seller were not disclosed.

Minted by Ephraim Brasher, a goldsmith and neighbor of George Washington, the coin contains 26.66 grams of gold — slightly less than an ounce. Worth about $15 when it was minted, the gold value today would be more than $1,500.

The Brasher doubloon is considered the first American-made gold coin denominated in dollars; the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia didn’t begin striking coins until the 1790s.

Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved."
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Re: First American gold coin sells for 7+ Million

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:05 pm

that IS something, i just read it traded for 725k in 79, look at this beaut
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Early American coins are my favorites! Thanks for posting the pics!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:37 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Early American coins are my favorites! Thanks for posting the pics!

Sheikh, i've never been cursed with a lust for money, and i've always been amply provided with manna, but i'll tell ya, when i started looking into the 1790's American coins yesterday...., i sure wish i had some extra FRN's to bid up a small collection, coz it goes beyond mere nusimatics, its our HISTORY...oh well, i think i'll just 'collect' cyber pictures! be well, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals