Imminent Silver Correction

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Imminent Silver Correction

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:04 am

TXBullion wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Many great posts here. I promise to reply soon. One point about paper vs physical etc- In terms of price, the physical is the paper is the physical.
If you don't believe that, call a large, or primary dealer and ask what the price is to buy their physical and how they derived with the quote. Aside from $100 mm+ transactions quoted off the London noon fix, you'll get a quote based off of Comex with a basis. You won't have any of the large dealers tell you "Umm...silver is undervalued. I believe the real value for this fungible commodity ought to be like $130 oz so that's what we are offering". Sure you can imagine TSHTF and postulate what you believe the non-existent future pricing scheme would be but we are here in the NOW with real equity at risk. I'll stick with what the market uses since, after all, a market is an auction. You can believe in manipulation or not. The bids and offers are posted (I post mine just like anyone else)along with the trades crossing.

Cheers!

Great post

Thank you my friend and fellow Texan. I hope these moves are "Breathtaking" :shock: :lol:

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby glass » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:31 am

Man what a ride Ive been on this past year
glass
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:54 am

fb101 wrote:
JJM wrote:Thanks for posting here when you do JFF, it's nice to have you back!

You once talked about blogging your silver buying/selling experiences, did that ever happen? If so, can you share the blog address?

Care to enlighten us a bit on your system? I know you follow the tidal wave of investment money, and when it moves into the USD it moves out of silver (and the other markets generally speaking, at least at the present time). I'm sure there are other key indicators that I'm not aware of, it would be nice if you could share those or anything else for that matter if/when time avails.

TIA, jjm

+1

Many kind remarks by so many friends. Instead of replying individually since I'm so delayed, please accept a general response about how I trade in this post. If I missed anyone else about anything in particular, it was not intentional so please forgive me and ask again if still applicable.

This isn't intended to sound like a resume or impress anyone so please bare with me as I outline answers to questions previously asked but not necessarily answered.
I'm writing this very late at night so please don't mind any typos or incoherent babble!

The blog adderess isn't available at this time but I will post it when it is. I think it is better to post frequent trades there and not so much here. I trade A LOT all day (and night) in the energy complex, financial, foreign exchange, and of course metals markets, only having posted a few trades here that were appreciated by some and not so much by others.
The time frame of any trade or position can be from less than a few seconds to many months depending on the trade type and purpose. However, time is generally not what determines the length of the trade- performance is. Example- If the markets swing 10-50% in a matter of a few days, weeks or months etc, to me that is "long term".
Volatility and performance drive duration, not the other way around. Although time and volatility are generally logarithmically related, especially when classified in magnitudes similar to octaves in music.
My trading is based purely from price related data. There are two primary focuses stemming from my career background. One focus is quantitative modelling for total return speculation and the other is hedge modelling for stabilizing cost where short a commodity (i.e. airlines and jet fuel) or protection from price volatility in the case of and asset (like PMs).
Being a quant at heart, the tools used are unique and tailored to my studies. Not to get to jargony but these areas of focus are from fractal geometry, nonlinear dynamics, neural nets and genetic algorithms. A bunch of boring subjects to many but fun for those who are passionately curious about the art of chasing a moving target; something I've loved doing professionally and personally full time since 1993.

To make it simple the idea is to never predict the future but to identify areas where the probability of conditional change has taken place. In other words, we look to classify and categorize the market as "good" or "bad" from an exposure standpoint or "up" or "down" in the case of direction, instead of predicting what comes next. In the case of speculation, the future is always unknowable becasue it doesn't exist. Once that is fully accepted, you don't need to know the future in order to benefit from what comes next. The output of such a system has to be simple and effective in being able to take one look in a fast market and know exactly what needs to be done either mechanically or manually.

In terms of hedging an asset, with proper implementation, you can reduce or eliminate negative price exposure, thus eliminating any need to liquidate the asset based on price or market curve fluctuations.

In the end, a trading system isn't complete without the most important elements- discipline, position sizing and risk management. Just to be sure, I can be 100% wrong on a trade or idea just like anyone else. In fact, the best way to make a lot of money trading is to know how to lose. Paying a small insurance premium to protect profits is the best. Cutting losses fast and pressing hard in a big move is where the big returns are made- the "ten baggers". However, it never ceases to amaze me how many have befriended that devil named martingale. Most people try to be "right" instead of doing the right thing. Think about that. No wonder 90%+ people lose in a zero sum game.

Hope this answers what I remember being asked. If not, please forgive and ask again.
Thank you all for your kind support and comments. This is what makes places like Realcent such a treat- friends helping and sharing with friends.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:56 am

I would only warn others that without JFFs toolset and experience, you are exposing yourself to much risk when short-term trading - especially in this market. I personally dabble in it only carefully, at the margins of what JFF does, and it is easy to get bit/burned.

I think many of you may be misunderstanding JFFs beliefs and approaches. When he says he has bought at xxx, that doesn't mean he thinks it's the start of the next great bull market, or even a mini-rally. Just that there is at least a momentary opportunity to profit; a sell signal will end that run, and he will be hunting again for another chance (regardless of direction, up or down).

JFF, you may disagree with any or all of this, but I'm not purposefully trying to distort your views.

And you may disagree with this next part as well, but this is where many PM bugs don't want to be caught out with only paper, and that is the evidence that the CME is effectively a front for a Ponzi scheme. The price is the price only as long as people have faith in that system and it is being supported by deep pockets. There is far more silver being traded in the paper market than actually exists in the real world, and as soon as someone is strong and big enough to call the bluff, the Ponzi will collapse, as they always do. Don't be caught out in that, my friend. (However, your algos appear to be very strong, and I'm convinced you will see the trend long before it becomes evident to others.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:21 am

Great summary 68camaro. All great points in my opinion.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:22 am

68Camaro- No offense taken. Actually a lot of what I do isn't to expose much price risk, but to reduce or eliminate it through proper hedging. I'm surprised that so many people feel like the markets are manipulated if they see their metal value decline and that they are personally punishing the likes of JPM when it moves higher. Especially for those folks, taking the price exposure out of the equation could be what the good doctor ordered so they can at least rest at night.

PM bugs being caught with only paper is an oxymoron, no? Again, one can postulate on the non existent future as to what they believe a SHTF scenario is. And if one is not hedged against that already and they spend time on RC then I am confused.

Today I am transacting heavily in several deals using FRN as the pricing mechanism and collateral. This is serious business. My clients will do so in the tune of $10's of billions today, which will allow them to COMPETE as the lowest price provider/producer of various food and fuel commodities that are consumed in our everyday lives.

Many folks here work their tails off for FRN's because, like it or not, it is the legal tender of the USA. We can all bash the current fiat fiasco, myself included.
My point of view is simple. I still believe in free enterprise. The exchange markets are open and transparent. It is a zero sum game. Some are consistent winners and some are consistent losers but in the end they all get what they truly want.

I will continue to make as much as I can trading in these markets and then continue to buy physical metals and real estate with the proceeds. There will be no "working for the man" and risk random layoffs etc that can displace families and only add the current mess in society. I am choosing to determine my own future. I will also continue to give greatly for the fight against cancer and providing a decent childhood for abused children, something I learned about from very wealthy clients who started family foundations for such when I was in the private wealth group at a very large well known wirehouse.

I still believe in America. The leadership is far off from what I believe but the beauty is that I am allowed to believe that. And unlike current main stream thinking, I do not believe that you can help the poor by becoming one of them!

I much prefer to barter and transact in commerce with FRN (although a stable currency would be a nice fantasy i.e. going back to the gold standard) vs my silver, gold, or copper as a means of exchange. They are the last things I want to give up as an exchange medium but I think that topic is already so well beaten dead in other links here if you know what I mean. ;-)

Markets have existed for a few billion years. They provide the means of barter and price discover, something that I'm passionately curious about.

All of this is in my opinion. I respect and appreciate the views, musings and opinions of many here. Variety is the spice of life.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:10 am

JFF recommended a book to me. Anyone interested in what he is talking about will surely appreciate "trend following" Im sure several people know about it but I never had heard of it and I'm sure some traders could sure make use of some of the principles in the book. Hope you don't mind me sharing that one JFF
TXBullion

Postby JJM » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:31 am

Nice heady stuff to ponder, most of it is echelons above my pay grade though! lol Thanks to all!
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks for your notes JFF. I think you've better explained your positions and approach, over time, and especially recently.

A few comments on your latest...

Jonflyfish wrote:Actually a lot of what I do ...

is very difficult for almost anyone else to easily do.

Jonflyfish wrote:PM bugs being caught with only paper is an oxymoron, no?

Yes. It was a bit tongue in cheek, maybe too much. Should have said any PM bug who has significant exposure to paper (besides the physical that a true bug would also have).

Jonflyfish wrote:It is a zero sum game.

It purports to be that. And in what you are doing, it can be played that way, I think. The long-term reality? I'm not sure it is zero-sum. I have a feeling that there is more to it than we know behind the scenes. If the Fed is funneling money into markets via a back door then it stops being a zero sum game. But that is outside of this discussion I think, and speculative to boot.

Good on you for your approach, beliefs, and compassion!

Jonflyfish wrote:I much prefer to barter and transact in commerce with FRN (although a stable currency would be a nice fantasy i.e. going back to the gold standard) vs my silver, gold, or copper as a means of exchange. They are the last things I want to give up as an exchange medium but I think that topic is already so well beaten dead in other links here if you know what I mean. ;-)
It is a zero sum game.

And wouldn't it be even better if the FRN was backed? But I don't expect that to change.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Thank you for the kind remarks. If I may, the futures, forwards and swap markets are a zero sum because anyone can be net long or short, opposite the counterparty from which is also reflexive. If I offer a new contract and you buy at the offer we are now in contract and increased the open interest. As the price fluctuates, our accounts are marked to market inversely by the delta at the daily settle price ( in the case of futures). I will agree that the nature of the tape is anonymous and that means anything one's mind wants to make of it. But it is visible and the mechanical nature of the market doesn't change. Price discovery can only happen in an auction style since there isn't a middleman i.e market maker involved, unlike most who trade equities and efts.

Most of the reply comments have been speculation related. Don't forget the power of hedging. Imagine holding 100 or 1,000,000 ounces of silver (or gold) and having locked in the physical asset value 20-50% higher than the current market price. Minding your risk then would leave you immune to the downside volatility and you protect your physical valuation.
Isn't that fantastic? Makes me jump out of bed with a spring in the step every day.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:38 pm

TXBullion wrote:JFF recommended a book to me. Anyone interested in what he is talking about will surely appreciate "trend following" Im sure several people know about it but I never had heard of it and I'm sure some traders could sure make use of some of the principles in the book. Hope you don't mind me sharing that one JFF

Appreciate your kindness. I don't mind at all friend.
Best to you
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fb101 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:04 pm

blessings..

so here's what I really heard amidst it all;

Eliminate good or bad, they just confuse the issue.....
There is ........change....... and that is all that is required.
and more, but I need to digest it.

Thanks JFF (and 'assisters").
fb101

Postby silverflake » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Jonflyfish and 68camaro, i always enjoy your posts throughout this site so let me ask an opinion of you (and all of the other fine folk in here). I am 'investor' with just enough of the trader/speculator in me to help protect me from big losses and (usually) maximize profits when I am right on a direction (happens not often enough). That said, it seems as if I have a bit of a learning curve to get to your levels of expertise.

So, to the point: I have read so much about the risk of holding 'paper silver', SLV AGQ etc. and I get it. I understand it and it makes a lot of sense. Now, I admit, I own some SLV and IAU in my IRA. They have done well in the years I have owned them. But I have learned to use them as instruments and have become addicted to selling covered calls off of them. I keep it simple and the income is excellent. But now I am scared. Do I sell them, take the profits before everyones eyes are opened to the fact that they don't have the PMs they purport to have, or do I milk it more? The volatility does make me nauseas though that is what inflates my option premiums.

Open for opinions/discussion. Thoughts?
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:27 pm

silverflake wrote:Jonflyfish and 68camaro, i always enjoy your posts throughout this site so let me ask an opinion of you (and all of the other fine folk in here). I am 'investor' with just enough of the trader/speculator in me to help protect me from big losses and (usually) maximize profits when I am right on a direction (happens not often enough). That said, it seems as if I have a bit of a learning curve to get to your levels of expertise.

So, to the point: I have read so much about the risk of holding 'paper silver', SLV AGQ etc. and I get it. I understand it and it makes a lot of sense. Now, I admit, I own some SLV and IAU in my IRA. They have done well in the years I have owned them. But I have learned to use them as instruments and have become addicted to selling covered calls off of them. I keep it simple and the income is excellent. But now I am scared. Do I sell them, take the profits before everyones eyes are opened to the fact that they don't have the PMs they purport to have, or do I milk it more? The volatility does make me nauseas though that is what inflates my option premiums.

Seems like you are fairly well advanced enough that I'm fairly sure I couldn't teach you a thing. Jon, however, is at a totally different level.

I've made my thoughts, and concerns, on these well known in posts. I haven't kept any secrets, and I don't have all the answers. I have paper PM in a 401K which I am stuck with for 4 more years, unless I retire early, which at the moment seems more foolish than risking the 401K. I've already taken the max loan withdrawal, and am about to pay that back (after which I will take it out again, probably, and buy more physical with it. It's a method of saving, while mimimizing the 401K exposure.) 1/4 of the 401K is in cash, protected (as much as a government bond focused money market account can be), with loan drawn against that. 3/4 is in a trading account, usually in and out of paper PM, at risk. I don't like that, but my choices are few. So, while unclear whether this actually provides some added protection or not, I generally focus my trading in Sprott's funds. There are a couple others like those. CEF is the combo gold/silver fund. And there are a couple of others similar which I could look up, but don't follow, as PSLV and PHYS do what I need. THere is a premium on these funds, but it doesn't really matter as long as the percent change is similar to the actual change in spot, which it is usually close enough. So, right or wrong, that's what I've done.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:44 pm

As to one reason I'm nervous about ANY kind of trading, even cash in brokerage accounts...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/money-not-safe-gerald-celente-moral-mf-global-144949248.html
68Camaro

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:29 pm

silverflake wrote:Jonflyfish and 68camaro, i always enjoy your posts throughout this site so let me ask an opinion of you (and all of the other fine folk in here). I am 'investor' with just enough of the trader/speculator in me to help protect me from big losses and (usually) maximize profits when I am right on a direction (happens not often enough). That said, it seems as if I have a bit of a learning curve to get to your levels of expertise.

Silverflake- Congratulations on finding what works for you. I always enjoy reading your posts. I wouldn't (couldn't) give you specific advice on liquidating based on being scared or not. Having said that, the street is notoriously full of mis and dis information. There are plenty of trolls and bandits out there to stir up the pot and scare the you know what out of folks. Some people are convinced that any financial transaction is all smoke and mirrors fairy dust. They'll tell you that they know for a fact this or that becasue they read it on a blog somewhere. Simply one can find material to support whatever they want to feel comforted about. I was able to work on a project for one of the primary London dealers earlier this year. What I can tell you is that I my jaw dropped when I saw so many cubic meters of PMs. It is also inspiring to know that gold deals there are referenced in terms of how many "bars" and are flown over the pond for delivery and silver is referenced in tonnes...TONNES! and is shipped via vessel. Is there a REAL shortage? Wasn't JPM supposed to get squeezed to the moon on their silver short position once $50 printed? I'm not saying one way or the other except that the reality isn't always what is advertised, and sometimes for very unscrupulous reasons.

The situation reminds me of when I was a brand new financial advisor and I had a potential client who had seven figures invested in Fidelity funds. He wanted to know if he should liquidate any or all of the funds in order to meet his financial planning needs. I wanted to know more research on some of the funds. I went to the office of the biggest producer (the guy who makes the most money managing his clients assets). I knew he kept folders stuffed with very slick sales and marketing material along with expensive research reports.

The conversation went something like this- "Dave, do you have a folder on fidelity funds?" His reply- "Sure. Would you like the folder to get a client in to Fidelity funds or the folder to getthem out?" I was paralyzed for what seemed like forever with that reply then said "both".

I learned over time that if you can't sleep at night because of investments then the position size needs to be sold down to the sleeping point.
Wish you the best of success as always.
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:48 pm

68Camaro wrote:As to one reason I'm nervous about ANY kind of trading, even cash in brokerage accounts...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/money-not-safe-gerald-celente-moral-mf-global-144949248.html

Unfortunately, there is risk in doing business. There is also risk of theft of physical. I read daily about people losing their assets (guns, gold, silver, diamonds etc) due to theft that they thought were secure in hiding places, safes, vaults bunkers etc.
Don't be nervous. Be prudent and diversify various sources, methods, means and locations.

Edit: I almost forgot- My grandparents died poor and had no legacy after living frugally for decades and stuffing sacks of cash and coin in the walls of their home and without tell anyone. They both aged and suffered from alzheimers and forgot all about it when their house was sold and they were moved to an assisted living center. My grandfather kept great detail about this in his will, which was discovered in a safe deposit box at the bank upon his demise. Unfortunately, the house had long been torn down by that time...

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
68Camaro wrote:As to one reason I'm nervous about ANY kind of trading, even cash in brokerage accounts...

Unfortunately, there is risk in doing business. There is also risk of theft of physical. I read daily about people losing their assets (guns, gold, silver, diamonds etc) due to theft that they thought were secure in hiding places, safes, vaults bunkers etc.
Don't be nervous. Be prudent and diversify various sources, methods, means and locations.

You read about it daily? Please post the links.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 pm

You guys are so cool. You probably don't even realize that within your stories and expoundings, I (and I assume many of the relacenters on the site) am able to pull so many tiny pearls of wisdom out from your entries. While I wasn't necessarily looking for answers, your input has given me something to chew on. Much appreciated.

By the way, I added some more ASEs today. They are so good to hold.

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:

Daily theft surprises you? Does daily murder and rape surprise you as well? Sad but true. Unfortunately I'm not able to post all the criminal reports of theft across the country on a daily basis for you but you could easily google for theft or search for police reports. Coinflation regularly posts interesting stories of metal theft as well.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:18 pm

silverflake wrote:You guys are so cool. You probably don't even realize that within your stories and expoundings, I (and I assume many of the relacenters on the site) am able to pull so many tiny pearls of wisdom out from your entries. While I wasn't necessarily looking for answers, your input has given me something to chew on. Much appreciated.

By the way, I added some more ASEs today. They are so good to hold.

Keep stacking.

Thanks for the kind remarks Silverflake. You are really cool too. We are all just friends sharing and learning together.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:

You're taking the meaning of daily as it was written out of context. It appears to me it was used as a generalization meant to communicate "I read about thefts all the time, sometimes so frequent that they seem daily." One report of a large theft can be picked up and carried by any number of news sources so that the same story IS repeated daily. We are inundated now with bad news. I guess its what sells the news. You can't turn on a television without hearing the latest about some killer on a rampage, a mother killing her children, some idiot running amok with a gun. Sensationalism is the name of the game.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:42 pm

To clarify, I mean asset theft happens daily. I read the local as well as some other large market papers. The police report briefs are included in many. Media sensationalizing large far reaching stories is something else as you correctly point out Beauanderos. Thanks for your wisdoms.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:29 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:You read about it daily? Please post the links.

Local police blotter?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:51 pm

JFF what's the basis on your valuation of $ 130 silver?
TXBullion

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals