Respected Realcent Member Makes Rookie Error

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Respected Realcent Member Makes Rookie Error

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Guess which forum member who has been buying on ebay got suckered into buying a silver-plated coin for WAY too much? :oops: :shock: :lol:

Oh, wait... we're supposed to let this fade into oblivion... right? :? :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Respected Realcent Member Makes Rookie Error

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Let's use this thread to list all the dumba$$ mistakes we've made on ebay, eh? I read a listing too fast once, and made a winning bid of $117 on a gold-plated Liberty nickel :oops: that had a clear description of the coin condition... if I had just read far enough into the listing. In my defense, it had a real 1911 Indian $5 gold piece pictured. After opening a dispute, I finally got the seller to retract my offer. I was NOT about to honor it.
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Forget eBay.....I purchased 2 silver plated rounds a month or two ago at spot less $2 each when buying a collection. I held them in my hands.....heck even my dad eyeballed them while doing the valuation. That'll eat into the profit for sure.......They are now in the landfill where they belong. Tough lesson re-learned.

The cost of tuition.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Forget eBay.....I purchased 2 silver plated rounds a month or two ago at spot less $2 each when buying a collection. I held them in my hands.....heck even my dad eyeballed them while doing the valuation. That'll eat into the profit for sure.......They are now in the landfill where they belong. Tough lesson re-learned.

The cost of tuition.

Did those join the Twin Towers crap? :shock:
beauanderos

Postby 0000PaleHorse0000 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:36 pm

I know some people that purposely buy the silver and gold layered crap off ebay to put in a display in the front of their living room/office. The purpose is to satisfy a thief's craving for something valuable if someone ever broke into their house. They keep all the good stuff safely hidden away, but sometimes those $5,$10,$20+ blunders can actually be something that could possibly save you a lot of headache down the road!
Last edited by 0000PaleHorse0000 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I looked, and there was a pale horse! Its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him."
0000PaleHorse0000

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:38 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Forget eBay.....I purchased 2 silver plated rounds a month or two ago at spot less $2 each when buying a collection. I held them in my hands.....heck even my dad eyeballed them while doing the valuation. That'll eat into the profit for sure.......They are now in the landfill where they belong. Tough lesson re-learned.

The cost of tuition.

Did those join the Twin Towers crap? :shock:

That was the twin towers crap.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby newton7 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:45 pm

I've been ok on eBay so far but have made rookie mistakes at coin shops and shows. Those darn shinny things just draw me in and before I know it I have purchased stuff way over my price spot ratio due to others are waiting in the wings to buy it if I don't. I feel bad the rest of the day but knowing I have a pocket full of silver helps dull the pain.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby knibloe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:53 pm

I recently paid $41 for 1-1964 and 5-40% halves. I got mixed up with another collection and tmy bid was based on 6-1964. I knew what I did, before the auction ended, but figured I could cover overage with a $10 rebate from pay me later. I got rejected for pay me later. :?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:07 pm

knibloe wrote:I recently paid $41 for 1-1964 and 5-40% halves. I got mixed up with another collection and tmy bid was based on 6-1964. I knew what I did, before the auction ended, but figured I could cover overage with a $10 rebate from pay me later. I got rejected for pay me later. :?

Yeah... but think about it. The guy you outbid knew what he was doing! :o :oops: :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Fess up Ray.....you aren't perfect. Spill the beans.

When was the last time you theod?
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:15 pm

I remember buying a bunch of foreign coins that were BIG pictures.. looked like half dollars.. they were described in millimeters.. they were the size of silver 3 cent pieces....
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Fess up Ray.....you aren't perfect. Spill the beans.

When was the last time you theod?

I think I put an extra zero in one time speed bidding as stuff was expiring. Bid $1000 on a $100 item. Cost me $140 or so. Gotta be careful on those last minute bids. Image
beauanderos

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:21 pm

When I first got into silver coins I bought about 20 eisenhower dollars for 5 bucks each. I dont' touch any of them anymore.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:34 pm

I bought 6 silver spoons as scrap. They were marked with a .9 and a 0 that was a bullseye. I read .90 and assumed they were coin silver (90%). Thought I had scored a $250 deal for $25. As it turned out, the "0" or bullseye was a hallmark indicating they were silverplate. But they were worth $2.30/lb at the scrapyard :cry:

Tuition. :lol:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals