Compass Bank doesn't like me anymore. - Update

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Compass Bank doesn't like me anymore. - Update

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:23 am

Well, I finally got that dreaded letter from Compass saying they are going to close my account. After a year and a half of steady dumping they finally figured out that they were not making any money off me. Even with me spreading out my dumps a $1000 at a time and never hitting the same branch more than once every 3 or even 4 weeks someone caught it. I figure that I have dumped somewhere in the area of $300,000 in halves there over the last year and a half.

I still have accounts at Regions and Wells Fargo, but I guess I need to look around and pick up another account somewhere. The real down side is that I'm going to have to remap my dumping routes - I had a nice system going that was time efficient.

PS: Can you guess where all my dumps are going the next few weeks? :D
Last edited by BamaJoe on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Compass Bank doesn't like me anymore.

Postby db23 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Sorry to hear this Joe. You must have a lot of their branches around you to wait 3 weeks between 1K dumps and have dumped so much there. That makes it suck even more.

What'd they say in the letter? Is there any fighting to keep the account?
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:25 pm

If you go the same bank too often and your dumps are always large (no pun), this is what usually happens. It happen to me before.

Spread out and reduce the size of the dumps.. that should help a lot.

A bank manager has never complained about my dumps, but she did complain that I was removing 1 box of pennies per week. I no longer go to that branch.

Another recommendation I have is to take some time off from sorting/dumping... a few weeks to a month. The heat should die down a bit.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby newton7 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Sorry to hear that. My Compass have only been used to pick up a box hear or there. The real problem comes when they start to move people from location to location. People talk and they figure it out after a while. Nothing worse then walking in your dump bank to be greeted by someone from your purchase bank. Awkward!!!

Capital one has now stop fixing their free count machines and I am now struggling to find a new dump bank with no fees.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby chris6084 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:32 pm

newton7 wrote:Sorry to hear that. My Compass have only been used to pick up a box hear or there. The real problem comes when they start to move people from location to location. People talk and they figure it out after a while. Nothing worse then walking in your dump bank to be greeted by someone from your purchase bank. Awkward!!!

Capital one has now stop fixing their free count machines and I am now struggling to find a new dump bank with no fees.

Is that in Houston? I was there last week, and had a route all planned out for some dumps and pickups. The two Capital One banks I planned going to had broken coin counters. So I went to two more that were more out of the way only to see broken counters there also. :x
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby inflationhawk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Wear it as a badge Joe. Well done to carry on as long as you have.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:47 pm

db23 wrote:Sorry to hear this Joe. You must have a lot of their branches around you to wait 3 weeks between 1K dumps and have dumped so much there. That makes it suck even more.

What'd they say in the letter? Is there any fighting to keep the account?

They do have also of branches in the area and their locations made for some easy routes

I don't remember the exact wording of the letter, but it was just something along the lines that they will close my account in 30 days if I don't do it myself first. No reasons were given.

I talked to a friendly manager in one of the branches yesterday and she said once they send that out there is nothing anyone in the branches could do.

One bit of good news. Talked to some folks at Wells Fargo today and they are willing to pick up some of the slack.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dan53 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:00 am

Occasionally, I give the tellers a bag of Lindor truffles. Seems to buy a lot of good will.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 0000PaleHorse0000 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Dude, sorry to hear that, but I would frame that letter! I couldn't possibly fathom dumping that much in halves in my lifetime!
"I looked, and there was a pale horse! Its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him."
0000PaleHorse0000

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:28 am

Dang Joe! I knew you were pushing through the halves but that is nothing less than awesome ($300,000)! I too would suggest framing that letter and write a note to place behind it after being framed to tell your family how you got that letter from Compass. That is one heck of a war story I would love to tell the next generation! :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Compass Bank doesn't like me anymore. - Update

Postby BamaJoe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:02 pm

For those interested - here's a copy of the letter.

BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am

You should black out the address :)
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:28 am

TXBullion wrote:You should black out the address :)

+ 1,000. :shock:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:38 am

TPTB should take down the pic file to protect himself from his own doing.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 am

inflationhawk wrote:TPTB should take down the pic file to protect himself from his own doing.

It think that’s a good idea.....TPTB is a late sleeper so I'll handle his light work :lol:

Joe I removed it to better help protect your identity....If you don't give a rats who sees it.....repost away and I offer my apology.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys, but as Rodebaugh put it, I really don't give a rats who knows my address. I've been at the same place for years and it takes all of 30 seconds to find me in the white pages or any other internet search.

BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals