Scrap copper?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Scrap copper?

Postby melhen26 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:36 am

I apologize in advance if there is a thread for this topic already. I've looked around a bit and have not found one dealing specifically with scrap copper.
What do you guys sell your pure scrap copper for? I may be interrested in purchasing/trading for some. Should I approach my local scrapping yard for this? If so, what percent of spot should I pay? Any other input,experience,or advise is appreciated. Thank you
melhen26

Re: Scrap copper?

Postby coppers4me » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Hint Get To know Who runs the place(scrap yard). Take them some alum cans and a box of donuts, Shoot the bull with them,When you need something always remember all is negotiable, let them make a price then counter.
coppers4me

Postby MetalMan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:52 am

Under this thread subject line "scrap copper", I would like to ask an unrelated question from the original one, which is this: does anyone know why the thick and thinner copper inside a microwave is covered with an ultra-thin brownish coating? I began to doubt I even had copper until I scraped it with a knife and examined it under magnification. TIA
MetalMan
Penny Sorter Member

Postby wayne1956 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:17 am

melhen26 wrote:I apologize in advance if there is a thread for this topic already. I've looked around a bit and have not found one dealing specifically with scrap copper.
What do you guys sell your pure scrap copper for? I may be interrested in purchasing/trading for some. Should I approach my local scrapping yard for this? If so, what percent of spot should I pay? Any other input,experience,or advise is appreciated. Thank you

It depends on how much you are looking for. If it is not a huge amount, accumulate it yourself. There are several ways you can accumulate it. Collect wires and remove the insulation. Even power cords for televisions, lamps, appliances, etc. I found an old set of jumper cables one time that was missing one of the clamps. Stripped off the insulation and it had some nice strands in it. I have filled up two 5 gallon buckets this year from stripping power cords and wiring harnesses alone. I am sitting on right now over 250 lbs of copper I have hoarded this year. There are sources, just gotta know where to look.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Postby MetalMan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:19 pm

[quote="It depends on how much you are looking for. If it is not a huge amount, accumulate it yourself. There are several ways you can accumulate it. Collect wires and remove the insulation. Even power cords for televisions, lamps, appliances, etc. I found an old set of jumper cables one time that was missing one of the clamps. Stripped off the insulation and it had some nice strands in it. I have filled up two 5 gallon buckets this year from stripping power cords and wiring harnesses alone. I am sitting on right now over 250 lbs of copper I have hoarded this year. There are sources, just gotta know where to look.[/quote]

How are you stripping, with a mechanical/motorized device or mannually with what? Copper is not my area, but is slowing becoming it more.
MetalMan
Penny Sorter Member

Postby melhen26 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Man alive! Pouring copper bars is no mean feat!
I've been thinking about this for a couple of years and have been working myself into it slowly. I buy copper from my uncle at spot. I bought a couple of molds, and finally got around to buying a furnace (RDO Saturn 2). One learning curve after another.... The molds I bought, I did not account for expansion of the metal when in a liquid form. Part of the molten metal (at this point anyway) stays inside of the crucible,and on and on..
My goal is to pour attractive copper bars of an even weight (1 pound, 1/2 pound) with nice stamps. I still haven't bought the stamps yet... So far this venture has been a total liability! Has anyone else been down this road??
melhen26

Postby Hades12 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:14 pm

have you been on backyardmetalcasting forum? lots of people there that like to melt stuff.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby melhen26 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks for the tip!
melhen26

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage