POLL: have you ever found a silver dollar?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Have you ever found a silver dollar?

YES - 90% silver
24%
YES - but only 40% Ikes
7%
NO - never been that lucky
69%

Total votes : 75

POLL: have you ever found a silver dollar?

Postby uthminsta » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:29 pm

In all your trips to the bank, or in change from a transaction, or even laying in the gutter...
Have you ever found a SILVER dollar?
If so, was it a Peace, Morgan, or something else?
Last edited by uthminsta on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: POLL: have you ever found a silver dollar?

Postby uthminsta » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:31 pm

I started it off by voting no. The closest I can come is my great-grandpa gave each of his greats a Morgan or Peace dollar, back when I was a toddler. And my grandpa gave me a 20th century type set, with both a Morgan and a Peace in it... and a clad Ike of course.
uthminsta

Postby scrapman1077 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:38 pm

While scrapping a car, pulled up the back seat, found a Morgan stuck in the goo. Still have it 16 years later
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Yep, got 3 40% Ikes last year from my bank.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby uthminsta » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Crud, I reset the poll by changing the possible answers. Sorry.
uthminsta

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Re-voted
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby rainsonme » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Got a recent american eagle silver dollar from a teller about 3 years ago. No wear, but several scratches.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:41 pm

I have had tellers show off some Morgans, but they would not sell them!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Does the one I bought from a teller for $10 count?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:33 pm

I personally have only found a few Ikes here and there when spotting them in teller trays, but my little island girl has grabbed about a dozen over the last 10 years or so when they were put into business deposits and dropped at the bank.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Whinstone » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm

I had a cashier shout out the other day...anybody here want this silver dollar....I go ....uh..... ok. :lol: It was a Susan B. I go "ummm" that's not a silver dollar. She says, well it's silver looking :roll:
Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you. You will only double trouble and trouble others too.........anonymous
Whinstone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:39 pm

i never found one. However my brother has a friend who works at a convenience store. He was talking to him one night when he had went in to buy some things. A guy came in and asked if he would take these dollar coins he had. My brother friends the cashier looked at them and decided they didnt look legit. My brother asked to see one, and it said silver on it. Im always telling him to get silver, and even sent him a roll of roosies.

Anyway, it turned out to be a guy paying for five bucks in gas with 5 ASEs!!!! So my brother call me up to see if he wasted his money. He had traded the guy a 5 dollar bill for them. At the time they were worth about 180 bucks. Apparently he sold them to a guy he works with for 120. without talking to me of course.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Treetop wrote:i never found one. However my brother has a friend who works at a convenience store. He was talking to him one night when he had went in to buy some things. A guy came in and asked if he would take these dollar coins he had. My brother friends the cashier looked at them and decided they didnt look legit. My brother asked to see one, and it said silver on it. Im always telling him to get silver, and even sent him a roll of roosies.

Anyway, it turned out to be a guy paying for five bucks in gas with 5 ASEs!!!! So my brother call me up to see if he wasted his money. He had traded the guy a 5 dollar bill for them. At the time they were worth about 180 bucks. Apparently he sold them to a guy he works with for 120. without talking to me of course.

C-stores can be good places. I've snagged a couple silver dollars thru the years at them when the cashier wouldn't take them or I saw the person with them before they used them to pay.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:10 pm

When I was a kid in the early 70's, I used to play Army with the other kids in a neighborhood cemetary far away from any tombstones. While digging in the dirt, I found a box about 6 inches below the surface. It was some type of hard cardboard/cigar box. After cleaning it off I discovered 5 Morgans, 3 Peace dollars and 7 JFK halves in the box. I couldn't believe it! Thinking I had found a treasure, I kept digging 1 foot around the box in every direction. Sadly, there was nothing else there. The coins were very dirty, so I took them home and rinsed them off in the sink. No CC's, but the Morgans were from the 1800's, all P. The Peace were 1922 and the JFK's were all 1964... again all P.

I still have them :)
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 pm

Back in the mid 90's I found an 1800's Morgan laying in the grass at a small town carnival. Sold it a week later for beer money.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RR GUY » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:40 pm

I'm not sure if this counts, but I'll share it anyway. We all knew that my Grandfather had several hundred silver dollars in the safety deposit box and they were willed to all of the grandchildren, but when we were cleaning out his house, I was going through shoe boxes essentially taking out all of the cedar shoe trees for my own use, when I opened one and crammed in a pair of boots were 62 Morgan dollars all pre 1900 and all well worn. The boots were probably some 30 years old so I figure that he didn't think they were valuable enough to be put in the vault. I found a list of all the coins in the box and he had listed them with prices between $3 and $5 of value, clearly he had forgotten all about them. Since I was the only coin collector in the family, everybody felt I should have them.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Dano » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Yes, I've found several. Best find was 17 Morgan's in a batch of 42 mixed Ike's . One of my all time best finds!
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cecropia_moth » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:32 am

Yes. I have found one, it was from a teller tray. If memory serves me right it was on 07/01/2010 and it was an 1899-O Morgan. I listed it last year on Country's silver tracking thread on the old Realcent.com.

Jeff
cecropia_moth
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:49 am

yep 1923 last year with some Ikes from a teller.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

NHsorter wrote:I have had tellers show off some Morgans, but they would not sell them!

Same here. :(
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 4 bit » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Last November I stopped at a bank branch in a grocery store near my home. I had only been searching for silver for a couple of weeks. I was buying some halves and the teller in the next wicket offered to sell me twelve large dollars. As she was counting them I saw a Peace dollar among the Eisenhowers. I hadn't even been asking for large dollars at the time as I had never considered the possibility that someone would be clueless enough to deposit a silver dollar at face value.

Since then I never left a bank without asking for large dollar coins. The requests yielded only cupronickel clad Ikes until last week. I asked for halves and large dollars and the teller pulled a huge bag of Eisenhower dollars out of her drawer. As she started to count them, I saw that one of them was whiter than the others. I tried not to get my hopes up, as I've seen plenty of discolored Ikes before. When she got to the white one, I thought I heard the sound of silver, though I've been wrong about that before. As she continued to count the dollars, I thought I heard silver again, and noticed that there was another white coin. There were 131 dollars in the bag. When I got to my car I fished the white dollars out of the bag. Sure enough, they both had S mint marks.

Then, earlier today, only one of the banks I visited had any large dollars at all. One teller showed me an envelope with 21 of what I thought were the cruddiest looking Ikes I had ever seen. Still, I bought them because you never know. As the teller counted them to verify that there really were 21 of them, I thought one of them sounded funny. I got to the parking lot and looked in the envelope. It turned out that I was wrong. There were 20 of the cruddiest looking Ikes I had ever seen and one 1922D Peace dollar that was surprisingly not too bad looking, aside from what appeared to be scotch tape residue on the reverse.
4 bit
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coinwolf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Picked up several ASE's from a local country store a couple years ago. Owner said a lady used them to buy something and was nice enough to let me get them from him. (yes he knew what they were)
coinwolf
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Never been so lucky but like hearing the stories!
misteroman

Postby schockergd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:08 pm

No, but I've got plenty of dimes, quarters and several 50c pieces from change/bank/ect.

I also know two people who in the past few years have got silver dollars while working at retail stores (One a beer carryout, the other at walmart). One of them is into coins pretty well and was shocked when a guy paid for photos with a 1923 peace dollar. The older guy & my friend both knew what it was and the older guy didn't care.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Yes, I have found morgans, peace, and silver ealges from the banks.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals