1982 String Box

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1982 String Box

Postby Copper_Baron » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 pm

I just opened a String Company box that is completely 1982's. I'm a hand-sorter so I started weighing them. After 6 rolls I am at about 39% copper. All the pennies are very circulated. I do about 10 boxes a month mostly from a number of different TD Banks (always String boxes). However, I do hit this small Credit Union sometimes and this is where I got this box (they always have String boxes too). The funny thing about the box was that it was taped shut with masking tape like it had been opened from it's original sealing. However, the rolls were factory sealed like they normally come and not customer or bank rolled. Any explanation for this? Not really sure how String operates.
Copper_Baron

Re: 1982 String Box

Postby Bluegill » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Copper_Baron wrote:I just opened a String Company box that is completely 1982's.

After 6 rolls I am at about 39% copper.

Is this conclusion from the 6 roll sample or did you do the rest of the box? What about the other 44 rolls? Even 6 rolls of solid circulated 82's does sound a little odd. It is possible you got part of a former hoarder's stash. Maybe he/she was planning on sorting them further later. Stranger things have happened in this hobby.

N.F.String and sons does not process coins. They are a supplier of boxes and wrappers for the coin processors.

http://www.nfstring.com/index.cfm
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Re: 1982 String Box

Postby Copper_Baron » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Bluegill wrote:
Copper_Baron wrote:I just opened a String Company box that is completely 1982's.

After 6 rolls I am at about 39% copper.

Is this conclusion from the 6 roll sample or did you do the rest of the box? What about the other 44 rolls? Even 6 rolls of solid circulated 82's does sound a little odd. It is possible you got part of a former hoarder's stash. Maybe he/she was planning on sorting them further later. Stranger things have happened in this hobby.

N.F.String and sons does not process coins. They are a supplier of boxes and wrappers for the coin processors.

http://www.nfstring.com/index.cfm

I did a few more rolls. Same thing. All the end pennies on each roll that are face-up are 1982. The entire box is the same.
Copper_Baron

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing