Why using a sorting machine to pick out coppers?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Why using a sorting machine to pick out coppers?

Postby PADFH » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:04 am

I've noticed most people use a pre 1982 copper as a comparative coin when using a sorting machine. I was wondering why people don't use a zinc penny since anything that isn't zinc will get dumped in the reject pile. This would seem to make it easier to search for wheats and other oddities.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Why using a sorting machine to pick out coppers?

Postby galenrog » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:23 am

When I run cents I first run everything using a zinc as reference. I then run the zincs and coppers separately with a copper reference. Coppers comes out nearly 100% clean. Zincs usually give up a few more coppers. Still have to hand sort for wheats and old canadians
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:09 am

I use a new 80 then I use a new 11. Also hand sort the pile to pull wheats, etc... You just have to play around with it and see what you like best. Some don't even bother a second run as where others will do 3 or 4.
What I found out is when I do zincs I get a lot of copper in the zinc reject and just doing copper first seemed easier. Which ever way I do it, it still takes the same time (which is not that long)... I normally do about 4-6 bags minimum when I do pennies.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chief » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:21 am

galenrog wrote:When I run cents I first run everything using a zinc as reference. I then run the zincs and coppers separately with a copper reference. Coppers comes out nearly 100% clean. Zincs usually give up a few more coppers. Still have to hand sort for wheats and old canadians

This is my way of using a Ryedale. Has worked well so far. Happy sorting! 8-)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:16 am

I use a copper penny first because after testing my machine many times, whenever it has an error, it will error by rejecting rather than including a penny. So, after I run it with a copper penny I know that my accept pile is all copper. I will then hand sort through those for wheat pennies, and Canadian copper pennies.

Then after that, I will re-run my rejects using a zinc penny to get any copper pennies that were accidentally rejected, or any other interesting coins that ended up in the reject pile.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby PADFH » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:56 am

Great replies, Thanks folks.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PADFH » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:21 am

Ok after running some and testing I have a small problem. IHs seem to be accepted when I use a zinc reference and rejected using a copper reference. I don't want to miss these but I don't want to hand sort the zinc rejects I've already run twice. Any suggestions?
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 am

PADFH wrote:Ok after running some and testing I have a small problem. IHs seem to be accepted when I use a zinc reference and rejected using a copper reference. I don't want to miss these but I don't want to hand sort the zinc rejects I've already run twice. Any suggestions?

Presuming you have one to use, what does a IH reference do?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:58 pm

68Camaro wrote:
PADFH wrote:Ok after running some and testing I have a small problem. IHs seem to be accepted when I use a zinc reference and rejected using a copper reference. I don't want to miss these but I don't want to hand sort the zinc rejects I've already run twice. Any suggestions?

Presuming you have one to use, what does a IH reference do?

lol! You'd probably get a 99.99995% reject rate! Now that I have bought one and gave up on ever finding one in the wild maybe I'll test this theory.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:40 pm

I use a ZINC accept first. This will ACCEPT all GOOD ZINCS. It will reject anything that is not a top notch ZINC.

Then I run a COPPER ACCEPT. This will accept all the COPPERS. Anything that gets rejected will be the corroded zincs that didn't get accepted the 1st time along with any others that snuck thru. It will also reject some older wheats.

By using this method I only have to run about 25% of my initial amount on the 2nd run.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:10 pm

I hand sort so I reject the zincs and never miss any IH or wheaties! :mrgreen:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PADFH » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:13 am

IHs were accepted when using a 1999 zinc coin.

I think my problem isn't really a problem. I only have a cheap machine from ebay and built my own case for it. I have to just flatten the pennies out and push them down the chute. It gives me some time to notice anything wierd but I don't have to read dates. Seems to be working well.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mtl325 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:16 am

I go zinc accept then copper accept. Hand check rejects for wheat/ih. Found my first Indian this weekend. Such a thrill to find something over 100 years old in a bag of coins!
Mtl325

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing