Bags used for Shipping $100 copper in Med Flat Rates

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Bags used for Shipping $100 copper in Med Flat Rates

Postby camtender » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 am

People talk of using bags to ship $100 in the Med Flat Rates, are these special bags or just canvas?
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Re: Bags used for Shipping $100 copper in Med Flat Rates

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:34 am

You can use either one. You might be able to get a few plastic bags from your bank or buy them from a bank supply business or use canvas bags which you might also be able to get from your bank. Seems like they have switched to plastic so they might have some canvas bags they want to get rid of. I use canvas because I am lucky enough to get my unsorted pennies in $50.00 bags and I get a few canvas bags from time to time. But not near as many anymore now that the banks have switched to plastic bags.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 pm

I've bagged in ziplock freezer bags (I use these to store coins in) and then double bagged into a cloth grocery bag.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby camtender » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 pm

JadeDragon wrote:I've bagged in ziplock freezer bags (I use these to store coins in) and then double bagged into a cloth grocery bag.

Was that for $100 in med Flat Rate boxes?
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Contact highroller. He sells canvas bags cheap. They work great for shipping 68lbs copper.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby camtender » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:55 pm

There has got to be a square bag (fabric or plastic) that would be perfect for these boxes. The less material used, the easier to get under the magic 70lb threshold.
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby JJM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Double (or triple) bag the coins in 17 lb increments using the USPS supplied Priority Mail Tyvex Bags, works like a charm @ no additional cost on your end. Four of 'em fit just about perfectly into a Medium flat rate box. A bit more gap than two coin lock bags (if double boxing, which is HIGHLY recommended), the gap can be covered w/ duct tape or binding tape, along w/ the label - even the meanest and nastiest local USPS employees begrudgingly accept them from me, lol.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby camtender » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 pm

JJM wrote:Double (or triple) bag the coins in 17 lb increments using the USPS supplied Priority Mail Tyvex Bags, works like a charm @ no additional cost on your end. Four of 'em fit just about perfectly into a Medium flat rate box. A bit more gap than two coin lock bags (if double boxing, which is HIGHLY recommended), the gap can be covered w/ duct tape or binding tape, along w/ the label - even the meanest and nastiest local USPS employees begrudgingly accept them from me, lol.

Good advice, I never thought of hiding the gap. Cant go wrong with free Tyvex bags too.
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby getdong » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:42 am

I use plastic sealable money bags and put several within the flat rate box. You can get them from banking supply catalogues as well as probably even uline.
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:03 am

JJM wrote:Double (or triple) bag the coins in 17 lb increments using the USPS supplied Priority Mail Tyvex Bags, works like a charm @ no additional cost on your end. Four of 'em fit just about perfectly into a Medium flat rate box. A bit more gap than two coin lock bags (if double boxing, which is HIGHLY recommended), the gap can be covered w/ duct tape or binding tape, along w/ the label - even the meanest and nastiest local USPS employees begrudgingly accept them from me, lol.

+1.

also, the tyvek bags are cheaper (free) than canvas or plastic coin bags.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:26 pm

I just figured out that if a plastic coin bag is cold enough, you can open it w/o having to cut it. Could I reuse these bags?

Also, if I cut the bags open, do you think that I could reuse these bags for shipping?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing