hand sorting vs machine

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

hand sorting vs machine

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 am

I do not see a rydale being worth it to me right now because I only do three boxs a week but I have been thinking of gettting one of the cheap coin comparators on ebay that you put the coins in by hand. Would that be any faster than sorting by looking at the date?

I have to buy something to sort my 82's anyway because my pile of unsorted 82's is getting close to 20 pounds
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Re: hand sorting vs machine

Postby MIspecial » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am

I just bought the penny hoarder machine. I'm very happy with it. Faster that by hand to clear out the zinc. Then I hand sort the copper.
MIspecial

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:50 am

You could also weigh the 82's with a cheap gram scale. Or you could sell the pile of 82's in a kitchen sink auction on here next month :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Check out the Ryedale Ace....for a C note it would be a nice step up from hand sorting....I think there is one on here for sale.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby PADFH » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:46 pm

I got a cheap one from ebay, built a frame to hold it. Spent $30 on comparator + wall plug and $5 on some random materials plus used scrap wood in the garage. Works pretty well. I'd say it's several times faster than hand sorting. I'd highly recommend it. I'm new so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I'll consider upgrading to something more professional in the future, but works great for now.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:06 pm

PADFH wrote:I got a cheap one from ebay, built a frame to hold it. Spent $30 on comparator + wall plug and $5 on some random materials plus used scrap wood in the garage. Works pretty well. I'd say it's several times faster than hand sorting. I'd highly recommend it. I'm new so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I'll consider upgrading to something more professional in the future, but works great for now.

Thanks PADFH, thats what I wanted to know

If I could find an Ace for sale I would consider getting it
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Elcid69 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:46 am

i would suggest that anyone that wants to sort coins give Ryedale a call or at least visit the website. I'm not sure why I even suggest this because I want to keep all the CU coming to me, for others the slower the better!!
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 am

......or just get yourself a cheapo digital scale and weigh 'em. I usually start with 3 at a time since my area has a 80%+ amount of copper 1982's.....then I go to 4 at a time.....then 5! Takes all of a couple of minutes.

By the way....there are a couple of $$$ double dies in the copper and zinc versions
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing