Melting 90% for rounds?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Melting 90% for rounds?

Postby Engineer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:10 am

Noob question here:

I've got a decent stack of 90% (sold as avg. circulated), and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to turn in some of my lower quality 90% to be melted into rounds. I'm thinking of bent coins, near slicks, etc. I really hate the thought of melting down old coins, but then again I love shiny new rounds...

Also, is there much numismatic advantage in keeping older (and more worn) Mercs vs Roosevelts?

Any opinions from the experts?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Melting 90% for rounds?

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:30 am

- you 90% may not weigh as much as you think it does.

- there is cost to have this done

- you end up with .999 from a mint whose reputation is inferior to the US Mint.

I would do this only for bent or holed coins, and would just post a listing here with the actual weight. reason is that when sending stuff to a refiner, the more you have the better your price. also, there are folks who'll buy slicks and put them in bags they sell to dealers.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bigjohn56 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 am

Given the price of 90% and the cost of doing the conversion how do you make the deal work out? The numbers just aren't there when 90% does not sell at much of a discount to melt.
bigjohn56
Penny Sorter Member

Postby DuckTales253 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:11 am

Engineer wrote:Also, is there much numismatic advantage in keeping older (and more worn) Mercs vs Roosevelts?

The Mercury dimes are always going to have a slight premium over Roosevelts, due to its age, lower mintage numbers, and the fact that silver Roosevelts "appear" more common to the eye, as the design is stil a circulating issue. Even if heavily worn, Mercs have the appeal of a classic design and may be desired by some for jewelry or art projects. As for numismatic value on common or worn dates, it is close, but I think anyone would prefer to have Mercs over Roosies. I suppose the only exception would be if you were into pure bullion value, the Roosies might be less worn and hold more silver.
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks everyone. My gut was telling me not to send them in for refining, but its nice to hear you agree.

Most of my Mercury rolls are only about 2-3 grams lighter than the Roosies (122 vs 124), so they aren't severely worn, but I could probably put together a 110 gram roll with the worst of the bunch. Those were the ones I was considering melting, but you've convinced me otherwise.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:46 am

Refining CAN be worth it. Especially when you talk about going from this:
to this:
First of all - and this is going to fly in the face of a lot of what we are all about here, but... it's not always about profit. At least not immediately. Sometimes it's nice to have something unique. I took this ingot into a local coin shop yesterday and they asked a LOT of questions about it. They said, without me asking, "If you ever want or need to sell it, bring it in." Even though they've never heard of Market Harmony, they were VERY interested.

Secondly, if you know where to look, and get "lucky," you can find junky stuff at well under melt. I bought those 5 dimes shown above for $4. From a coin shop. I had bought it all under the "silver is silver" philosophy, and had found good deals over time. I had a lot of stuff that I might have a hard time bartering with. Now I have something worth talking about.

Keep in mind, I have plenty of U.S. minted silver coin, because I think stuff of known fineness... from a worldwide-known source... that has been minting coins for over 200 years... is always going to be the easiest stuff to sell and to trade with. But if you're still hung up on ONLY that side of the equation, maybe a few more pics would help! :)
That's my opinion. And I'm sticking to it. :mrgreen:
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:41 pm

What do the kids think about it? It could by a good way to get them interested in the value of PMs at an early age.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:29 pm

They think Daddy's a dork. He spends too much time on RealCent. :)
Nah, they know it's all for them. The gold tenth-ounces are from their birth years, so there is no question as to which ones belong to whom. Sarah (6) goes with me to the coin shop sometimes, and even has an envelope of Canadian coins they've set back for her; she buys one from time to time. And she likes coins with holes in them. Ruthie (8) sort of collects wheaties, but she hasn't done much with them lately. And she thinks Egyptian coins look cool right now.

They know the safe has valuable stuff that will be theirs when they get older. They also know not to tell anyone about it... I wonder who will get this ingot?
uthminsta

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:42 pm

You're getting those kids off to a great start.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dtfstock » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:43 pm

That bar is sweet
dtfstock

Postby merchoarder » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:43 pm

I knew that MH was good but to turn 5 dimes into a sweet 6 ozt ingot!!! That is impressive! Lol
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Those pyramids are sexy!
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Man, thats a nice ingot.

The dude is good.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby DRP270 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Dump cr*p silver for these or other products he has. They are great.
DRP270
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Silver Addict » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:08 pm

I was gonna pick up one of those sexy pyramids this weekend off Mike, but he didn't have any with him. i gotta remember to phone my order in ahead next time.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:12 pm

crud it is a little lite to be an effective hammer....

..........last year at the coin show in Denver during the RC get together there was a fella using a 10oz bar for breaking the glass gemstones out of jewelry and then buying the scrap metal....
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:17 pm

merchoarder wrote:I knew that MH was good but to turn 5 dimes into a sweet 6 ozt ingot!!! That is impressive! Lol

If you cut it open,it's brass on the inside. Mike is Chinese :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals