What are your price trend indicators for silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What are your price trend indicators for silver?

Postby JJM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:03 pm

What are some of your personal INDICATORS on where the price of silver is going?

I know one member on here likes to talk about looking at eBay offerings - total #, quality, actual sales prices, etc.

Here are some of mine:
- I always look at Tulving's website to see if he is sold out on bags of junk silver, or it is stacked high.
- TMAT posting WTB ads on this site is usually a good sign the price is moving up.
- Watching how fast junk silver sells on here, and at what % to spot, is another macro trend indicator in my mind.

The lack of excitement when silver moves a dollar or more in a day, in either direction, both in here and other forums I read, is telling as well.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Re: What are your price trend indicators for silver?

Postby Silver Addict » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm more of a technicals type person. Silver just broke above the 50day MA today. If it can hold it for 3 days, good things should come.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby SoFa » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:46 pm

I look at the chart. It's potentially breaking out above the downtrend line and (as SA pointed out) the 50 day moving average.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:29 pm

I use a combination of charts (trend lines, and how far above or below 2 & 6 month moving averages) along with the private seller supply on Craigslist.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JJM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:19 pm

I thought about asking for non-technical indicators, and am glad I didn't b/c the three replies so far are all technical. Feel free to expound on your theories guys, I know myself and (presumably) others would love to hear them.

Personally, I figure my attempts to read the marketplace are influenced by the charts at least to a degree, as the buying/selling behavior in the marketplace is to a certain degree influenced by these charts. With that said, I think the manipulation factor subtracts at least some value from the charts, but have no way of quantifying is this is a significant amount or not.

I also try to know as much about the world economy as I can, looking at things from a historical perspective as well when appropriate.

All of these things suggest sub-$25 silver to me, I know some chartists who agree. YMMV of course. But in waiting for it, I may miss another doubling in the price of silver, you never know. But I'm never smart enough to sell at any peak, nor am I nimble enough on my feet to play the market in both directions.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:38 pm

An easy rule of thumb is to buy when gas is cheap, and sell when gas is high.

Since oil/gas prices are tied in pretty closely with PMs, one way to dollar cost average is to give yourself a gas allowance every payday and spend whatever is left over on silver.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals