Being friends with the owner of a stop n rob = Good times

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Being friends with the owner of a stop n rob = Good times

Postby schockergd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:05 pm

I think I've posted it once before, but I'm going to say it again - Make friends if you can with your local stop n rob!

I go in every few weeks and ask if they have any coins they want to give me, anymore the owner just gives me a bag and tells me to bring back what it's worth.

So far i've managed to get 2-3 pre 64 50c pieces, a dozen or more mercury dimes, tons of older canadian coins including silver.

Today a lady showed up on my porch and said "The owner of the stop n rob says you're good with coins, here's a bag, just call me with what you'll give me". So now I get to go through this bag of coins (Some silver) and essentially pay what I want to with it.

Just taking out a few, there's several seated liberty quarters/dimes and a half dime. Today is a good day ;)
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Being friends with the owner of a stop n rob = Good time

Postby twentybux » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Excellent pr work for yourself. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby schockergd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:11 pm

twentybux wrote:Excellent pr work for yourself. :D

I'm happy, there's a few rare indians in the bag now too ;)
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HPMBTT » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:33 pm

schockergd wrote:I think I've posted it once before, but I'm going to say it again - Make friends if you can with your local stop n rob!

I go in every few weeks and ask if they have any coins they want to give me, anymore the owner just gives me a bag and tells me to bring back what it's worth.

So far i've managed to get 2-3 pre 64 50c pieces, a dozen or more mercury dimes, tons of older canadian coins including silver.

Today a lady showed up on my porch and said "The owner of the stop n rob says you're good with coins, here's a bag, just call me with what you'll give me". So now I get to go through this bag of coins (Some silver) and essentially pay what I want to with it.

Just taking out a few, there's several seated liberty quarters/dimes and a half dime. Today is a good day ;)

Great work. Like many other Realcent folks do with their bank tellers, it's all about talking to people and establishing cordial/friendly relationships. :) Yeah, sure, chocolate helps....but at the end of the day, YOU still need to make the effort and put in the time. In addition, you score a big plus, in that they trust you not only with estimating the face value of the coin, but they know you will do a reliable job with any coins that have numismatic worth as well. Kudos. Keep at it! :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 97guns » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:46 pm

schockergd wrote:

the only indians i see are behind the counter
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby thesilvertiger » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 pm

the only indians i see are behind the counter[/quote]

:lol:
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby JJM » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 pm

97guns wrote:
schockergd wrote:

the only indians i see are behind the counter

It's nice living out here on the Great Plains, isn't it? :D
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:32 pm

At work, I'm the "coin guy". At least once a month someone brings me something to appraise or to sell. One guy keeps thinking that 1965 quarters and dimes are silver. I even showed him how to edge check, but he keeps getting the dates mixed up. Oh well.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals