Cut off at pickup bank...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Cut off at pickup bank...

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:01 pm

After 2 months of ordering me 2-4 boxes of halves twice a week, one of my pickup banks called me today and said that they could order for me next Tuesday, but after that they would have to charge me $10 per box. :evil: BS!!!
Next Tuesday, I plan on talking to the branch manager, or whoever it was that called me today about this.
I am just looking for your guys' opinions on what points to make to hopefully save this pickup bank.
My thoughts are...
1. I have not been ordering "large" amounts of coin. $2k in halves really isn't a lot...
2. I have always come in the day that the coins come in, most of the time w/o or before a phone call. They are not sitting on coin, waiting for me.
3. I am not a business. This is a hobby. I am not selling the "nicer examples of coins to fill my coin folders." I have told them that I am a coin collector.
4. I am pretty sure that when they order coin, they pay a flat rate. Adding 4 boxes to the order doesn't cost them more.
5. How much does it cost the bank in the 5 minutes it takes a teller to count my 100's, go to the vault, and hand me the coin?
6. Pissing me off is really worth the quite small, IMO, hassle of continuing to do what they have been doing?
And please don't tell me to find another pickup bank/move on. I want to make this work and I know this is an option.
Thanks, Realcent.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Cut off at pickup bank...

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 pm

I really don't have any suggestions Chief. Just going to say good luck and hope you can resolve it.

Stories like this make me really glad the little island girl works at a bank.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Chief wrote: I want to make this work and I know this is an option.
Thanks, Realcent.

I think you just answered your own question, Chief. Find out what it takes on their side of the argument. Good luck!

I have had an account at my primary bank for about 35 yrs. They ordered halves for me for about six months and then cut me off. I offered to pay a small fee for the service... that didn't matter to the head vault teller at the main bank downtown. She cut me off. No "if's, ands, or buts"! AND I was treating the tellers nice, too, with little tokens of appreciation. :(
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby db23 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 pm

I believe that small banks use this as their way of saying they no longer want to order you boxes. Larger banks do it as a way of just telling you to go away. Also, I am positive that not all banks have the flat fee deal for coins and currency. The manager at one of my banks that orders me 12 boxes a week told me that they pay a small fee for every box, she just looks at it as a cost of doing business.

I don't know anyone that has gotten a bank to change their stance on a fee once is put in place. The closest I came was when one of my banks was worried that I would be bringing them back. The manager told me she would have to check to see if their was a fee. After I told her that I've never been charged a fee at any other branches and that she would NEVER see the coins again after I left with them, the F word just disappeared completely. It could possibly be a case of them needing to be reassured that you won't be bringing the coins back.

When I start ordering at a bank, I let them know that I never dump the coins at the bank that I pick them up from. This basically leaves them thinking that if they don't order for me then I'll be dropping some off...
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennyguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Are you dumping the coins at the same back you pickup from?
pennyguy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 pm

pennyguy wrote:Are you dumping the coins at the same back you pickup from?

No way. That is a mortal sin of CRH, as far as I am concerned. If they insist on charging for boxes, I will be dumping there... ;)
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:I think you just answered your own question, Chief. Find out what it takes on their side of the argument. Good luck!

I just meant that changing banks would be an option. I will try to make this work, but as I stated in my OP, I don't think I am being extreme or asking too much.

Thanks for the replies so far! :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Another thing...
The teller that helped today, who I've not seen before, was a total B*tch. Couldn't/didn't want to hear me when I asked if they got coin in today. Same thing when I asked if they would be ordering for next Tuesday. "No, we will order on Monday" "For next Tuesday?" "Yeah"
CUSTOMER SERVICE???
I am thinking she complained about dealing with me. And I am always pleasant when tellers are giving me coin. :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver Addict » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:31 am

Why not turn that bank into your dump bank? Just flip/flop where you pick up/dump? Option?
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:43 am

This is why I order lesser amounts at more than one place. Sit down with the branch manager, ask if they are now charging everyone, all the retailers who bank with them, etc. Find out the real deal, be cool, and see if they are being cool. See if they have an order amount they can handle, maybe a smaller order? I worry about getting cut off every single time I go into my pickup place, if they are short my stuff, that is totally fine, I'll take something else if they have it instead or nothing. What worries me most, my account is totally idle, it has like $1000 in it, not even a checking account. I asked for more not long ago and my teller advised against it. That's why I would like to buy the plastic bags right from the coin machines but don't know the right questions to ask or people to talk to. I would love to get away from the boxes and rolls myself. Banks are strange, either they are going to work with your or not work with you, not allot of room in between seems like. Even my new #2 bank, heck they don't order anything, the head teller totally manages what I get, which is whatever they don't want, this week it was dimes, still every week I always get at least a box of cents, sometimes two from them.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:15 am

Banks have no obligation to "work with you" They are a business, in business to produce a profit. Our hobby eats into their bottom line. If they, for whatever reason, are now facing a charge themselves for ordering the boxes, they will attempt to pass that charge along to you, or to discourage you however they can, from ordering any longer. It wouldn't surprise me at all... if the "death" of our hobby results, not from too much competition, but rather from so many complaints being fielded to corporate headquarters... that a company-wide policy is developed nationwide, after review at the highest levels, to identify copper sorters and to discontinue supplying them with coin. Banks constantly review what their competition is doing, so if just one major bank does this then... well, you figure it out. :roll:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dan53 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:52 pm

You might explain to them that if they don't allow you to order coins that it will be necessary for you to deposit coins there. Then they might change their minds. Of course it might back fire. I had one bank that went from ordering coins for me for free to charging me one dollar per hundred whether I was ordering or depositing. I quit using them.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mnymgr1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:59 pm

dan53 wrote:You might explain to them that if they don't allow you to order coins that it will be necessary for you to deposit coins there. Then they might change their minds. Of course it might back fire. I had one bank that went from ordering coins for me for free to charging me one dollar per hundred whether I was ordering or depositing. I quit using them.

I have a potential dump bank (currently a very small supply bank) like that, wants a 1% fee over $100 daily dump limit. If they tick me off, I will be coming by as often as possible with $99 of change vs. none now.
mnymgr1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Chief » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:14 pm

I just talked to the closest bank to my house and they were more than happy to supply me with 2k in halves next week. :)
I would love to drop by the bank I am being cut off from with ~2k in halves a few times a week. :) F' em. They are certainly replaceable.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jacer333 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:47 am

Which bank ticked ya off Chief? Nobody has rocked my boat down here in Lincoln yet thankfully.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:27 pm

First National Bank at 84th Street & Brentwood, La Vista. Those mf'ers. Tomorrow I will chat with them.
Good to hear that no one has thought of you as "a bother". Too much of a bother to keep doing what they've been doing for the past 2 months.
Jacer333, we need more people on here from Nebraska. Keep on sorting, chief. :D
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Bank of America has shut me down completely. Won't even order boxes with a fee. Said Loomis would have to home deliver them, and "it's quite expensive."
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Chief » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 pm

It's been said here before...
Banks will put an end to our hobby of CRH with fees and being cut off.
This will happen sooner than later.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tractorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 am

Chief wrote:It's been said here before...

This is probably true, sadly. In the meantime, use your people skills. Remember that they are doing you a favor with free shipping of heavy boxes, where else are you gonna get that? They make no money from your boxes so there is no incentive for them to continue doing it. They might overlook that if they like you, but I'm sure they won't mind a bit to get rid of the surly complainer. This is just my opinion, DYODD.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:33 am

And I DO NOT mean to imply that you're a surly complainer. Its just that you catch more flies with honey, know what I mean?
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 am

tractorman wrote:
Chief wrote:It's been said here before...

This is probably true, sadly. In the meantime, use your people skills. Remember that they are doing you a favor with free shipping of heavy boxes, where else are you gonna get that? They make no money from your boxes so there is no incentive for them to continue doing it. They might overlook that if they like you, but I'm sure they won't mind a bit to get rid of the surly complainer. This is just my opinion, DYODD.

Surly complainer?? Just kidding. F'em! My credit union treats me like a god. They respect their members and always treat me well. I make sure to keep the girls there supplied with cookies every once in a while. :D They love it.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chief » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 am

tractorman wrote:And I DO NOT mean to imply that you're a surly complainer. Its just that you catch more flies with honey, know what I mean?

It is all good, chief. :D
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tractorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 am

Haha! We posted at the same time! I had realized how my comment sounded wrong.

I don't know, maybe bring this bank some chocolate too, if you'd like to get coin from them.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:00 am

tractorman wrote:Haha! We posted at the same time! I had realized how my comment sounded wrong.
I don't know, maybe bring this bank some chocolate too, if you'd like to get coin from them.

The only thing I will bring that branch is my dumps. Today, I even brought my main dump bank cookies. They really know how to treat a customer! I can bs with the tellers about coin collecting and inform them just a little bit about the scarcity of 2009 nickels and such. Cheers! :D
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tractorman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:03 am

Chief wrote:
tractorman wrote:Haha! We posted at the same time! I had realized how my comment sounded wrong.

The only thing I will bring that branch is my dumps. Today, I even brought my main dump bank cookies. They really know how to treat a customer! I can bs with the tellers about coin collecting and inform them just a little bit about the scarcity of 2009 nickels and such. Cheers! :D

Ah, that kinda stinks. It looks like the order is coming from on high. Damn the man!!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 pm

When I picked up today for the last time at the branch that I was cut off at, I was treated rather coldly. The only words out of her mouth were, "here to pick up your halves?" She brought them out and I carried the first two to the car. When I returned for my other two boxes, she saw me come in the door then turned away as to avoid talking to me. After I had all four of my boxes in the car, I wanted to go back in and ask if she/they treated all the customers like this, but I figured, f*ck them! Not even worth the 50 steps back in and the energy to ask the question. F*CK FIRST NATIONAL BANK on 84th and Brentwood in La Vista, Nebraska!!! :evil: :evil:
Just a bunch of BS over not wanting to keep a customer happy/keep doing what they have done for the past 2 months. I don't feel special/don't expect them to bend over backwards for me, but Jebus. Rant over, there are many more important things to waste my time/energy on. Keep on keepin' it real, Realcent! :D
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals