Free Dime Story

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Free Dime Story

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:35 pm

One of my recent $50 bags from my supply bank had a dime in it. I find a dime or two from time to time from their machine bags. The most dimes in one of their bags was, I think, 5 or 6. Anyway, this dime and any other change from my pocket goes into the dump bag for the dump bank. Well, when I made the dump run, this dime kept being shot out of the reject slot. After three times I took a look at it. It wasn't bent, out of round, chewed up, or anything that I thought would make it get rejected. Heck this dump bank handles all of my nasty worn eat-up zincs from metal detecting. After being rejected 2 more times, I took another look at it. Well I was shocked...this little sucker is off-centered to the right. There is a small bulge of metal from say 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock. I guess this why it wouldn't go through! But for the life of me I can't see why it didn't get counted as a penny.

Anyway, no picture for now. I may put it up for next month's KSAs but don't think it's off enough to get any offers...at least by itself.

You just never know what you'll find!

It's a treasure hunt!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Free Dime Story

Postby woodyh » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:00 pm

cool, nice find
life is like a box of pennys , you never know what your gonna get
woodyh
Penny Collector Member

Postby bman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:04 pm

we want pics!!! :mrgreen:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:38 pm

bman wrote:we want pics!!! :mrgreen:

At work....so later in the week.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Robarons » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 pm

I spent couple screwed up Dimes in Valpo a while back. I guess somebody found them!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:35 pm

Robarons wrote:I spent couple screwed up Dimes in Valpo a while back. I guess somebody found them!

Was that dimes or "dames" in Valpo?
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby HD-Daddy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:35 am

I don't know what is about dimes, but I get a smile on my face everytime I get one in a bag of Pennies. I found thirty, one time and one of them was a silver rosie.
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby knibloe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:53 am

I had $40 in CWR the other day. I got 8 dimes out of them.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 pm

:x :x :x

I lost $30.00 in Dimes Monday in a DeLaRue machine at one of my penny dump banks :cry:

My fault :roll: , I always re-wrap my Dimes, but Sunday night I still had $250 CWR to sort, I was tired but wanted the dump cash for a big pickup Monday afternoon, so into the dump bucket they went. I had pulled 7 coins from the $250 searched, and was expecting about $249 from the dump. My ticket indicated that I had only dumped $218.60 in dimes total, so I ended up talking to the manager. There was nothing she could do at the time because I had no way of proving how many dimes I had. I got a call this morning, one of the two penny bags came off this morning full of dimes, she offered me $20.00 credit, but refused to sell me the bag.

Anyway... someone is going to get a hell of a lot of Dimes from that bag. :x
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:22 pm

If they don't sell the bags to anyone then the bank will get a nice credit from that bag. Should be easy to prove that this credit is from that penny bag full of dimes. That really cuts into your profit margin!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby knibloe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:32 pm

This is why I dont dump dimes into a counting machine.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:If they don't sell the bags to anyone then the bank will get a nice credit from that bag. Should be easy to prove that this credit is from that penny bag full of dimes. That really cuts into your profit margin!

I think this is why she offered the $20.00 credit, which I took after she refused to sell me the bag. I dump cents in this machine on a weekly basis and the ticket will credit me for nickels and sometimes quarters. I've tried to buy bags before, but she always gives ma a song and dance. The last time I tried was on a bag of halves that had a Franklin visible through the plastic, no dice.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 pm

knibloe wrote:This is why I dont dump dimes into a counting machine.

Yes... I know better, got in a hurry Sunday night :roll:
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby baggerman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Verbane wrote:
TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:If they don't sell the bags to anyone then the bank will get a nice credit from that bag. Should be easy to prove that this credit is from that penny bag full of dimes. That really cuts into your profit margin!

I think this is why she offered the $20.00 credit, which I took after she refused to sell me the bag. I dump cents in this machine on a weekly basis and the ticket will credit me for nickels and sometimes quarters. I've tried to buy bags before, but she always gives ma a song and dance. The last time I tried was on a bag of halves that had a Franklin visible through the plastic, no dice.

I saw a walking liberty half in a bag today when they were changing out the penny bag but they wouldn't sell me any of the bags.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Crescendo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 am

That's an awesome dime find! I was going to laugh if the dime kept getting rejected but also recorded as a deposit over and over.

My best dime find in one penny bag at once was:

131 dimes
1 silver dime
plus

4 quarters
1 nickel
and an 1888 farthing

If only I could pick up coin from that machine all day long!
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby mishra142 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:54 am

I always check my print out from the coin machine when dumping. I typically find any where between 3-10 dimes being credited from a dump of pure zincs. I look at it as a little toward my gas costs :D I once got credited for a dollar coin when dumping pennies... was pretty exited about that.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GGerrands » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:07 am

Had a magic box of CWRs with 19 dimes in it. that plus 2 other dimes from penny rolls plus 3 dollars = BEER NIGHT. I love finding dimes! = )
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing