Sell, Trade or Melt?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sell, Trade or Melt?

Postby Cent1225 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:52 pm

I have a gold bracelet and pendant(had a $20 Gold Eagle in it) that I would like to sell, trade or melt.
Please look at the pictures.
Both pieces are marked 14K.

The Bracelet weighs 1.17 troy oz. or 36.3 grams or 560 grains.
The Pendant weighs .29 troy oz. or 9.0 grams or 140 grains.
Total weight is 1.46 troy oz. 45.3 grams or 700 grains.

Asking your opinion about how much I should be able to get for these pieces.
I could sell them or trade them or should I have one of the RC members melt it for me.
If melting, how much would it cost me to have it melted into a small ingot or coin? Can I get the same gold back? Can it be marked for fineness?
Would it be easier to trade it or sell it after having it melted or is it worth it?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Attachments
328.JPG
328.JPG (95.77 KiB) Viewed 239 times
323.JPG
323.JPG (106.26 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Re: Sell, Trade or Melt?

Postby SilverEye » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:45 am

14k is .585 fineness. So 1.46 toz x .585 = 0.8541 toz pure gold.

Take spot gold price $1740 right now multiply by that and get $1486.13 melt value. I'd guess you would be lucky to $500 at a pawn shop or the gold buying kiosk at the mall. I wouldn't sell for less than 10% under melt, but I would go 20% under on a fire sale if I needed bail money.

Post it up on eBay and you might even get a premium. I'd certainly think it's worth more as jewelry, because if you melt it then it will only ever have melt value to metal geeks like us that know to the penny how much it's worth. You might stumble across somebody who falls in love with it or has a matching brooch or something, then it commands a premium.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Re: Sell, Trade or Melt?

Postby tractorman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:10 am

This I would send to Market Harmony. I believe Mike pays more than 90% of melt and I don't think he charges assay fees either (my apologies if I'm wrong). The $$ I would then flip into bullion. There might be a way to get the same gold back, but I'm sure it would cost you more in the end. You could ask MH about that.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals