Ordinary People....

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Ordinary People....

Postby OtusLotus » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:08 pm

So i went into New York City tonight and went to a bar.... I sat down and started bs ing with the guy next to me and the topic turned to my coin collection...

So the only thing that this guy knew (along with the bartender- both about 25) was that the Fed govt is losing money making pennies! I explained to the guy that the Fed is also losing money making nickels... to the tune of $45 million last yr and he had no clue!

I then asked the bartender if she had any pennies, and she gave me three, which i then bounced on the bar so that they could "hear" the difference! They were both amazed, and i then asked the bartender for her copper pennies, which she gave me (it cost me a $5 tip.. Lol)

Anyway, just wanted to share a moment in my night!

Good luck everyone and GO GIANTS!!!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Ordinary People....

Postby cupronickel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 pm

I've bounced pennies for many people.
Some get "it", but most don't.
I also like to show the $100,000,000,000,000 (one hundred trillion) Zimbabwe note and even then some people don't get "the good money" thing.
Keep spreading the word.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 pm

I need to pick up one of the Zimbabwe notes for illustrative purposes. Helps drive the point home I bet.

GO PATS!! :D :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby baggerman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:00 am

NHsorter wrote:I need to pick up one of the Zimbabwe notes for illustrative purposes. Helps drive the point home I bet.

GO PATS!! :D :D

I frame some of the Zimbabwe notes and gave them for Christmas a couple years ago. Made for some interesting discussions.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:25 am

I carry a 1950 $10 bill and if the situation arises, I compare the statements on them to those that will listen. A current $10 states: "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." The old $10 states:"This note is legal tender...AND IS REDEEMABLE IN LAWFUL MONEY AT ANY FEDERAL RESERVE BANK." Money was still backed by constitutional money (gold and silver). Most people are actually impressed.

GO PATS!!!!!!!!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:27 am

I've livied in NYC my whole life.

If you could hear the sound of pennies hitting the bar on a Saturday night, you need to find a new bar. :lol:
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:28 am

I was at Tom & Jerry's in the Village!

Late Saturday afternoon around 5pm
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:43 am

Lately when I tell people about the nickel I tell them the story about how Canadian nickels are used to make our coinage. I'll skip the cent and see if they think the dollar is in trouble, if they agree, I'll drift into his/her political mind and say you hear of Ron Paul?, if they say no, or dismiss him you know your still up against a hard core kool-aid drinker.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:56 pm

everything wrote:Lately when I tell people about the nickel I tell them the story about how Canadian nickels are used to make our coinage. I'll skip the cent and see if they think the dollar is in trouble, if they agree, I'll drift into his/her political mind and say you hear of Ron Paul?, if they say no, or dismiss him you know your still up against a hard core kool-aid drinker.

I dismiss Ron Paul.... What's that make me?

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:23 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:
everything wrote:Lately when I tell people about the nickel I tell them the story about how Canadian nickels are used to make our coinage. I'll skip the cent and see if they think the dollar is in trouble, if they agree, I'll drift into his/her political mind and say you hear of Ron Paul?, if they say no, or dismiss him you know your still up against a hard core kool-aid drinker.

Deal

I probably agree with him more than I disagree, but I'm not always impressed with the way he presents his arguments. What is your reasoning???
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:32 pm

OtusLotus wrote:So i went into New York City tonight and went to a bar.... I sat down and started bs ing with the guy next to me and the topic turned to my coin collection...

So the only thing that this guy knew (along with the bartender- both about 25) was that the Fed govt is losing money making pennies! I explained to the guy that the Fed is also losing money making nickels... to the tune of $45 million last yr and he had no clue!

I then asked the bartender if she had any pennies, and she gave me three, which i then bounced on the bar so that they could "hear" the difference! They were both amazed, and i then asked the bartender for her copper pennies, which she gave me (it cost me a $5 tip.. Lol)

Anyway, just wanted to share a moment in my night!

Good luck everyone and GO GIANTS!!!

The mint actually lost $116.7 million by making the pennies and nickels in 2011. They have lost a total of $359.8 million since the beginning of 2006.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:05 pm

To show the guy the true meaning of currency devaluation, I told him that pre '65 quarters were silver.... and he said, "I know you could buy a hamburger for that"

I told him to hold that thought, and went to coinflation, where I showed him that the silver content of that same quarter was valued at $6.10. So, using that same quarter today, you could STILL buy that same burger. (although not in NYC- lol)

MY BAD on the total loss!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:36 pm

theo wrote:
NotABigDeal wrote:

Deal

I probably agree with him more than I disagree, but I'm not always impressed with the way he presents his arguments. What is your reasoning???

Some of his domestic policy ideas I like, but his isolationist foreign policy is asking for a disaster....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Off-topic, but I'm with you on that Deal. Like many of the RP financial policies, and his pro-constitution stand - maybe some other related views. But his isolationist stance and some just flaky thoughts on how we fit in the world doesn't work for me in this world. I'm not a big enough fan of any of the Republican candidates to campaign for one, but the one I like best is Santorum. Unfortunately he's not well organized this time.

I'm not sure Romey can beat BHO, and not a big fan either - I just tell myself that if Romney makes it I will keep telling myself "he's better than BHO, he's better than BHO".
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby slickeast » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:42 pm

highroller4321 wrote:

The mint actually lost $116.7 million by making the pennies and nickels in 2011. They have lost a total of $359.8 million since the beginning of 2006.

How much did they make minting the dime, quarter, and halves?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Engineer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:42 am

slickeast wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

Shhhh....we're not supposed to know about that. :lol:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Engineer wrote:
slickeast wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

Shhhh....we're not supposed to know about that. :lol:

better yet, whats the profit on the FRNs? ...or is that not the mints domain.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing