BULLION BASICS: Establishing a local market?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

BULLION BASICS: Establishing a local market?

Postby uthminsta » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:24 pm

For those of you who sell copper cents as bullion... are you able to sell them locally?
If so, how did you establish a local market?
What questions have you answered most often?
What do buyers "look" like?

My story: I have found that being personally involved with a particular subject matter makes me think about things differently. We're not talking hypothetically any more, and it becomes more important to ask the right questions - to be pointed in the right direction. I committed yesterday to getting a Ryedale. Put the check in the mail yesterday. Now I wish I had done more ahead of time to lay the groundwork for what I am about to do. So I thought a group discussion would not only help me, but potentially help everyone else who finds themselves in that same position, now and in the future!

Local marketing... what say you?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: BULLION BASICS: Establishing a local market?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm all for it, would participate in it, if it existed. Though not interested in developing a local market myself, at this point. I've bought from one local RCer, who is not terribly active and seems to only sort casually at work (he works in the theme part area, perhaps handles coin?) I would do so again, as buying local eliminates the postal cost, which is significant. If you were here I would buy some from you. :) I sort, and will continue to, but I'm also inherently lazy (or maybe I've got a lot going on), and it's currently far easier to buy than sort, if trying to accumulate.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby baggerman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 pm

I have made one trade for a CTU for 7 morgans and 2 dimes. I have a deal set up for this weekend for 1 CTU for $150 cash and this individual has indicated that he would like to make this a regular occurrence. Both were found by posting on craigslist but I have also been flagged more times than I can count, called a crack head and been told to F*ck off by many many people. It is interesting that those who don't like the idea of copper pennies at 1.5 times face seem to get very angry at the idea. I am all open to any other ideas and will willingly share any I come up with.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rsk1963 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:22 pm

baggerman wrote:Both were found by posting on craigslist but I have also been flagged more times than I can count, called a crack head and been told to F*ck off by many many people. It is interesting that those who don't like the idea of copper pennies at 1.5 times face seem to get very angry at the idea. I am all open to any other ideas and will willingly share any I come up with.

+1

I've been there as well, for every deal I've made through craigslist, I've been flagged 10 times and called all sorts of "interesting names."
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 pm

I keep trying to establish a local market every once and a while (on craigslist) but all I get is this Fasteddy guy emailing about this realcent place :) ..............

Scott
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Ahh just recieved two emails from buyers. One looking to buy at 1.38 and the other I'm not sure yet. Geeze at 1.38 each you would need to just be desperate to dump your hoard for something really important or pressing.........
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Local delivery at $1.38 is essentially the same as shipped for $1.50, which - while low - is not unusual, and hardly the lowest price I've seen around here. I've bought - shipped - for 1.40 and 1.45 several times.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby uthminsta » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:15 am

Okay, so Craigslist has generated some level of success. Anyone care to post some "best and worst" ad stories? And why do your ads get flagged so often?
uthminsta

Postby baggerman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:33 am

Best was the trade for the Morgans and the worst was driving an hour and having the guy not show up.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DEKAN » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:18 am

68Camaro wrote:I'm all for it, would participate in it, if it existed. Though not interested in developing a local market myself, at this point. I've bought from one local RCer, who is not terribly active and seems to only sort casually at work (he works in the theme part area, perhaps handles coin?) I would do so again, as buying local eliminates the postal cost, which is significant. If you were here I would buy some from you. :) I sort, and will continue to, but I'm also inherently lazy (or maybe I've got a lot going on), and it's currently far easier to buy than sort, if trying to accumulate.

I am in the Kissimmee area and would be willing to sell. PM if interested.
DEKAN

Postby fasteddy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 am

Hey Scott, your funny...like I wrote, we Texas boys should get together and discuss our local strategy...when I was posting on CL, for every positive question about the Cu cent I received about 10 junk replies. No sales but then I wasn't really trying either...
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:02 pm

DEKAN wrote:
68Camaro wrote:I'm all for it, would participate in it, if it existed. Though not interested in developing a local market myself, at this point. I've bought from one local RCer, who is not terribly active and seems to only sort casually at work (he works in the theme part area, perhaps handles coin?) I would do so again, as buying local eliminates the postal cost, which is significant. If you were here I would buy some from you. :) I sort, and will continue to, but I'm also inherently lazy (or maybe I've got a lot going on), and it's currently far easier to buy than sort, if trying to accumulate.

I am in the Kissimmee area and would be willing to sell. PM if interested.

Sent you a PM to see what we can work out...
68Camaro

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:57 am

Why sell below 5 cents? The rule of 72 tells us that at the current rate of inflation (~10%) a 2.5 cent penny will be worth 5 cents in 7 short years.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby baggerman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:10 pm

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:Why sell below 5 cents? The rule of 72 tells us that at the current rate of inflation (~10%) a 2.5 cent penny will be worth 5 cents in 7 short years.

For me I have a limited amount of room to store pennies and a limited amount of funds I can afford to tie up in pennies. If I sell a few off as I go along it allows me to continue to sort for wheats and gives me a few more bucks to put toward my own sorting. I have no intention of selling off everything I have but selling a little allows me to keep plugging along.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 pm

I've heard several mentions of Craigslist ads being flagged. Or getting stupid questions. How do you all handle these scenarios? And WHY do people flag the ads?
uthminsta

Postby baggerman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:53 pm

uthminsta wrote:I've heard several mentions of Craigslist ads being flagged. Or getting stupid questions. How do you all handle these scenarios? And WHY do people flag the ads?

No idea why people seem to have the need to flag ads and I just repost my ad when it does get flagged. As far as the insults I ignore them.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby motos » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Hey Uthminsta,

I established a partnership with a guy I met through craigslist. He was interested in wheat pennies and I was looking to sell them off. Near the end of our transaction I asked if he was interested in copper. He said and the next weekend I sold him 350lbs at 2 cents each. I can't picture selling copper online (here or ebay) and only getting like 1.6x face. A local market is the way to go if you can find one.
An economist's guess is liable to be as good as anybody else's. - Will Rogers
motos
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 am

1.38 isn't bad....for some it enables them to expand their operation. I've sold off...locally over $800 face at 1.32 each. That's a 32% return instantly. Time to buy more and sort more. Doesn't mean I'm selling the entire hoard. Sometimes there is a need for working capital.

With all of negative reaction to selling....always negative reactions....why don't a few of you big shots with the big pockets start financing some of the smaller operations. We all know that some regions have better percentages than others.

Not everyone can hold out forever for the big score....whenever that is.

Don't forget....this is a hobby to alot of people....a hobby that pays for itself...sometimes at 1.38.

By the way, I've read 2 different craigslist ads. One from here in Northwest Indiana and the other from Chicago's southside. Both are selling coppers. One is selling at 2x and the other was 1.5 per. Both shipping was a bit high. I sent both an email asking if they buy, too. Just trying to get a idea of the local market. No replies....maybe someone from here??????

Two weeks ago, an ad was paying $1.50/lb. for pennies.....any pennies and other coins, too.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby DuckTales253 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 am

baggerman wrote:CTU

Maybe it's too early in the morning for me, but please define CTU? Thanks!
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 am

No problem. CTU = Copper Trade Unit. It's $100 face value in US cents. Weighs around 68 pounds, and when packed well, is juuuust under the 70-pound limit for the USPS. Fits in a medium flat rate priority mail box.
uthminsta

Postby Night Hawk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 pm

What category do you guys list them under? I searched just about every region in Oregon and only found 1 person selling.
Night Hawk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby baggerman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Just go to the front page left side for each region and type in what you are looking for. I usually list mine under the general for sale catagory. The ad is probably mine and I know there is a guy around coos bay selling some.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:27 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:1.38 isn't bad....for some it enables them to expand their operation. I've sold off...locally over $800 face at 1.32 each. That's a 32% return instantly. Time to buy more and sort more. Doesn't mean I'm selling the entire hoard. Sometimes there is a need for working capital.

With all of negative reaction to selling....always negative reactions....why don't a few of you big shots with the big pockets start financing some of the smaller operations. We all know that some regions have better percentages than others.

Not everyone can hold out forever for the big score....whenever that is.

Don't forget....this is a hobby to alot of people....a hobby that pays for itself...sometimes at 1.38.

By the way, I've read 2 different craigslist ads. One from here in Northwest Indiana and the other from Chicago's southside. Both are selling coppers. One is selling at 2x and the other was 1.5 per. Both shipping was a bit high. I sent both an email asking if they buy, too. Just trying to get a idea of the local market. No replies....maybe someone from here??????

Two weeks ago, an ad was paying $1.50/lb. for pennies.....any pennies and other coins, too.

Yeah I completely agree with you, I was mainly referencing the price point from my own personal perspective. I should have said 1.38 it not near worth the Hassel for "ME".
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing