Coin feeding mechanism

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Coin feeding mechanism

Postby PADFH » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:01 pm

I have been using a coin comparator to sort pennies as I not ready to spring for a ryedale. I was thinking about using a coin feeding mechanism from a coin counter to auto feed the comparator. Does anyone know about a feeding mechanism or a coin counter I can use for this purpose?

Thanks
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Coin feeding mechanism

Postby Elcid69 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 pm

I see you joined aboubt 6 weeks ago, welcome to the group, I've been on this forum for only about 2 months and I've been sorting on and off for years. Do yourself a favor and call Andy and get a ryedale, it will make your life a lot easier. besides
you can sort and sell me all the cu's you get for 1.40x and both of us can make $. Help me fill my 55 gal. drum. Me and my 2 grandsons will thank you for your help.
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Postby GGerrands » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:36 am

If you're not quite ready to drop $500 on a ryedale, check out these links below for advice on an IGT hopper. You can build yourself a rig that jams less often than a ryedale, takes a $50 bag of cents, all for under $125..."if" you're a bit mechanically inclined. I want a Ryedale myself *one day* but in the meantime this is a workable solution:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=438614.0

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=393980.0

Good luck in perfecting your sorter! I saw on one of those forums the idea of using a hopper with some sort of agitator (like stirring pennies with a screwdriver) to speed up the sorting process. Lol...I just got the image of using an old mixer! I wonder if that would work...hmmm, hmmm.

Also, on a somewhat tangential note, as one who has to roll cents, I'm developing an aid that allows one to roll them more quickly. (Sadly I don't think I can spring for a Glory or Brendt automatic coin wrapping machine either...YET!)
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dinero2005 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:43 am

GGerrands wrote:If you're not quite ready to drop $500 on a ryedale, check out these links below for advice on an IGT hopper.

I've been playing around with an IGT upright hopper and am fairly happy with it. The whole trick is getting the coins from the hopper to the comparitor without jamming. I've tried a number of combinations and it's proved to be harder than I thought. Every day I gain more respect of what Andy has put together. Be sure to check out the "Ryedales & Other Coin Equipment (Member's Only)" section for some good threads on the issue.
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby PADFH » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:45 pm

That hopper is probably what I'm looking for, thanks for the heads up.

Sorry ElCid but every copper I penny I find isn't going anywhere! Thanks for the welcome to the forums, I'm already turning into a coin searching addict.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PADFH » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:35 am

I've found an IGT hopper of nickles but not for pennies. A nickle wheel should work for pennies, right?
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby galenrog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 am

One problem with a nickel wheel is that, if worn, will double feed pennies more often than one might like.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby hags » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:59 am

PADFH wrote:I've found an IGT hopper of nickles but not for pennies. A nickle wheel should work for pennies, right?

You'll find some answers on the ncikel wheel in this thread.... http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11238

To my knowledge they don't make a cent wheel but there are dime wheels, which work the best for feeding pennies...

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing