what is your method of sorting?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

method of sorting

By hand
52%
ryedale
39%
Other type of machine
9%

Total votes : 54

what is your method of sorting?

Postby lance » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Ive been kind of stalking the boards for a couple weeks and finally joined today. For a little while i used a coinalyzer because it was affordable. But i found myself handsorting them anyways because the machine isnt 100% accurate and i also picked out the wheats. Contemplating a ryedale but not sure if its a good investment. I only spend about $100 a week on pennies.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Re: what is your method of sorting?

Postby lance » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:59 pm

I just sold my coinalyzer and am sticking with hand sorting for the time being.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:00 pm

I would say both.
I try to do 500 a wk which is around and hr and a half with 2 ryes but also will do some rolls by hand which probably acct for an hr or so a wk as well so close to 50-50.
I also do a visual sort while cracking rolls and dumping into a large bin so I can pull out wheats canadians or whatever else I may find.
being a collector since I was around 10 I enjoy looking through the coins but due to the speed of the rye, its hard not to keep it working!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:19 pm

I initially bought a Penny Hoarder machine. It is quicker for me than straight hand sorting... BUT... I do find that I have to sort multiple times to get everything done correctly... SO, I am probably going to be moving up to a Ryedale very shortly... I also do at least $500 a week, along with a couple of hundred a week in dimes...
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby cacahg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:13 pm

Im ryedale guy, but hand sort for wheats
cacahg

Postby lance » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Interesting...why do you sort dimes? To find silver and if so do you find them frequently? I went through probably $150 in nickels last night to find only 3 war nickels...my patience was running thin...sorting for coppers is alot more tolerable.
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Yup, I sort for silver, I usually find 1 dime in every $150... Not a great return, but it's easy, and even at only a 1% return for the day, if I do that 20 days a year, I could be pulling a 20% return for the year...

Also, you know that nickles by themselves are worth more than face? Some people don't even sort, they just buy rolls of nickles and put them away as an investment.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:42 pm

I do 75.00 a week, I was just hand sorting but was having trouble getting them all done. I just got a ryedale ace about two weeks ago, I still handsort everything that comes out on the copper side for wheats,canadians and zincs. I am not sure if the Ace is considered hand sorting or machine sorting
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jacer333 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:04 pm

College student here going to school about 3 hours from my hometown. I have a ryedale back home that I crank up whenever I am back, but at school I sort by hand and usually get through a box per day.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Maybe you should have under machine sorting, Penny Mizer, homemade units...1 Ryedale, 2 Ryedale's, 3 Ryedale's, 4 Ryedale's or more. That may be more interesting for noobies.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby robroy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 pm

I handsort in the evening while watching tv predominatly to sort out the wheat and "s" cents. However, I will be adding a scale only for the '82 pennies.

I've been catching a hint of activity for the rydales that I never thought about before. Can they sort out silve from clad dimes and quarters?
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby getdong » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:30 am

lance wrote:Ive been kind of stalking the boards for a couple weeks and finally joined today. For a little while i used a coinalyzer because it was affordable. But i found myself handsorting them anyways because the machine isnt 100% accurate and i also picked out the wheats. Contemplating a ryedale but not sure if its a good investment. I only spend about $100 a week on pennies.

My machine is fairly accurate but enough inaccuracies to make huge numbers of pennies have quite a few
not as much as I would like it to be. I still use it though as hand sorting is a huge pain and it's only like 0.06 innacurate
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing